Is Atlanta Burning?

rams80

Well now we're back on bigmac12's idiotic argument that the shaky ownership situation has kept people away. Really it's the exact opposite. The ownership situation is shaky because people have stayed away.

As for Atlanta, I think they could be a good market and I'm willing to give them a chance. It's hard to give your fans 10 years of :censored: teams and expect them to continue to put out. I know.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well now we're back on bigmac12's idiotic argument that the shaky ownership situation has kept people away. Really it's the exact opposite. The ownership situation is shaky because people have stayed away.

As for Atlanta, I think they could be a good market and I'm willing to give them a chance. It's hard to give your fans 10 years of :censored: teams and expect them to continue to put out. I know.

How did we casue IceEdge holdings to fail in its bid to keep the team? The failure was in the OFFSEASION!!!

How did we casue IceEdge holdings to fail in its bid to keep the team? The failure was in the OFFSEASION!!!

Please stop posting, you're already starting to give the rest of the Coyotes a bad name.

Please stop posting, you're already starting to give the rest of the Coyotes fans a bad name.

Have the world turn upside down? I'm giving the Coyotes a bad name? What is this, backwards land?

When the fans are not coming it hurts the chances of the owners of not purchasing the team. The fans, city of Glendale and GWI has done nothing but hurt the Coyotes, and any potential owner from staying in Glendale. You have to accept the fact that maybe it's not the Coyotes time anymore. Quit getting your panties in a bunch and quit arguing every time someone says something negative about the Coyotes. I am a tax payer that lives in the heart of Glendale, who is tired of hearing all the BS that is going on right now. Sure i'd like to keep the team. But at what expense? The Taxpayers who will have to endure the pressure of how much they lose? Bring in a minor league team, fill in the dates of jobing.com Arena. You will not have this problem, but paying $100 Million to a Billionaire isn't right. We could use the $100 Million to pay for teachers, schools, firefighters, hospitals, roads, and Police Officers. Not a team that we don't even know the future of.

In all fairness, Ice, Reinsdorf didn't cut and run when he saw the team's books. He did say "you'd have to pay me to take this team."

When the only ownership groups interested in keeping the team in town are saying that, it's a sign that it's probably time to leave.

Well....

Ice Edge couldn't get the money needed to make the purchase because no bank that looked at the Coyotes' financial situation was going to give them a cent. Had fans supported the team the banks might have been more willing to give Ice Edge the loans they needed. Of course if fans actually showed up they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Lets not do this here, though. There's an entire thread dedicated to the ineptitude of the Phoenix Coyotes and the city of Glendale. This is the thread where we bash the Thrashers.

On the Thrashers, I will say that unlike the Coyotes in Phoenix/Glendale they've never really been given a fair shake. Still, if stable ownership can't be found, then it may be time to leave.

The attendance numbers that scared everyone either away or into demanding public moneys for buying the team were a fairly well-documented fact.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

it probably doesn't help the fact that atlanta has been sorry for most of their existence. fans are not going to show up and pay for a :censored:ty team. see Islanders, New York.

and in the case of phoenix. if fans can't show up for a team having their best season ever, then that city doesn't need a team. and its not like phoenix has had historically bad teams either.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I asked this in the St. Patrick's Day thread that went awry, and it could be more related to this mess than you think:

1) What is "Blueland."

2) Who thought it was a good idea.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

BigMac12 banned himself from the "Here we go again" Coyotes thread and the "Next move/ expansion" thread because he couldn't control his emotions and engage in rational conversation grounded in reality.

Good move, but unfortunately the irrational behavior hasn't changed because every time the Coyotes are mentioned in a bad light it's back to the nonsensical "you have pine needles in your eyes and can't see the trees" comments.

Back to Atlanta, maybe it can become a solid 3-sport town. Not saying the Thrashers have to be the ones to go, but it seems maybe the fans could use to be spread around a bit more. Haven't heard much negativity about the Falcons, but I suppose that's the easiest schedule to support.

Also, I appreciate TFofA giving us the Atlanta perspective and sharing that link. I feel the same way about Florida. If the league fights this hard for Glendale, thintgs have to get a lot worse in some of these markets before they abandon ship.

I asked this in the St. Patrick's Day thread that went awry, and it could be more related to this mess than you think:

1) What is "Blueland."

The same people who thought putting "Hockey Bay USA" at centre ice for the Lightning was a good idea.

All the excuses and supposed 'pending sales' are just delaying the inevitable. Hockey will never work in Phoenix and Atlanta. End of story.

For the first half of the season, Atlanta was top-5 in the East, yet couldn't fill their arena 75%, including for key games against rivals Washington and Tampa Bay.

The Coyotes currently (and all season long, for that matter) sit at 4th in the West and appear able to make a solid playoff run, yet get 68% capacity. And the Cardinals and D-Backs haven't been playing for 4 and 7 months respectively. If this team was in Winnipeg, there would be fans outside trying to buy standing room tickets from scalpers.

And stop comparing yourselves to the Islanders. Isles fans are just sick of decades of not having a competitive team. Your teams are competitive.

sig.png

1) What is "Blueland."

#1 is easy: It was supposed to be the hockey nickname for Philips Arena, just as the arena's half-assed nickname for Hawks games is "The Highlight Factory"....

I've never been a big fan of using Blueland.

#1 is easy: It was supposed to be the hockey nickname for Philips Arena, just as the arena's half-assed nickname for Hawks games is "The Highlight Factory"....

That really sounds like something made possible by funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and Viewers Like You.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm taking this with a grain of salt....

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/118439684.html

In a Clearance Clarence exclusive, I am here to tell you that before the end of the NHL season the Atlanta Thrashers will move to Winnipeg. The team will be sold to Canadian media conglomerate and play next season in the MTS Centre. It?s all over but the shouting, and minor paperwork. I will not reveal my sources. Even if Russo is all Clarence, who are your sources!?!! I?ll go all Woodward and Bernstein on his {redacted} and clam up. Just know that this information is as solid as any rumor-confirmation-from-a- lightweight-semi-anonymous-weekly-guest-post-blog-commenter can be. That and $8.50 will get you a premium beer at the Xcel Energy Center.

baltimoreravens.png

So wait, we've got two teams that could move to Winnipeg? What'll happen to the other if one is successful? Quebec?

I'm in an inquisitive mood, has there ever been a time when two teams relocated in the same year?

Obviously there won't be two teams moving to Winnipeg.

Basically the theory is that the NHL has done so much to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix that Bettman won't let them move because he'll look like an idiot if they do after the fight he's put up to keep them there.

He's also yanked Winnipeg's chain long enough though, and the True North conglomerate that wants to bring a team to the MTS Centre is headed up by a legitimate billionaire, someone the NHL wouldn't mind having among their ownership ranks. So they sell the Thrashers off to True North, Winnipeg gets a team, and the NHL saves face in Glendale.

This is completely illogical, as the Thrashers aren't nearly as bad off as the Coyotes are, so it's exactly the type of thing Bettman and his marry band of idiots would do.

Archived