Another Personal Logo Design

Davidson

Hey guys,

About 9 month or so ago, I changed my brand logo. Since then I have come to the conclusion (as pointed out on the board) that the version before was far superior.

I realise this is hugely self indulgent, but Im keen to have something I like as I do use this for business. And I figured it was best to sort it out before I get all my crap printed on branding etc.

So I have taken a step back and below is the result.

newidentity.png

I like it a lot better. The only thing I'd look at is adjusting the scale and proportion of the negative version so that it visually mirrors up with the positive version. I think that would just make it look really refined and slick, especially when viewed together.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Yeah, I tend to agree with the circle being a bit much. I wish you were more well known because it'd be nice as a standalone in that sense. That said, I do like it.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I think I pointed it out a while back, when you first designed the original one, that I cant help but see the Adidas logo popping out at me.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Well, the F and D arent necessary. Otherwise we'd just write the words.

Nah. I think it's very easy to sell the concept of an icon. It provides more uses than just words. It becomes more unique, more identifiable. It's a strong piece of a brand. So it's easy to justify a mark with the F and the D.

I'm also not saying remove the circle or line. If you like it and you think it looks good, that's good enough for me. But were I going all Armin Vit on this, I'd question it a little that's all. And I'm just "talking out loud" right now, but as I think about it, I'd definitely buy the explanation that you like the FD being the same as the larger background, and the circle allows for that. For instance I could picture this logo on top of a photograph in which the circle is white, and the FD is cut out showing the background behind it. No idea if that's what you're thinking, though.

One more question, though. Is the horizontal line part of the icon, or simply a divider between icon and wordmark. In other words, what happens to it when the words aren't there? Just curious.

Anyways, hopefully my scrutiny hasn't offended you, I find myself digging to question all kinds of designs lately. Most of them--as yours is--really good designs, regardless of the answers to those questions.

I would never in a million years have seen the adidas logo. Yes, it's there, but you have to try and see it (rotating it?) The circle makes it even less apparent. Yes, this is the less-is-more era, but it's also the "retro" era, and there's something that's just... well, retro about a simple logo in a circle. I think the circles (both black and white) actually enhance the logo. I'm not a fan (nor ever really was) of the FD, but being that it's kind of the "brand" so to speak, putting it in the circle is a fine idea.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I personally liked your previous update, the newest one doesn't work for me.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I realize its totally accidental, but I just don't see how such an elite designer like Fraser would want to have a personal logo that has the Adidas logo right in it. Especially with how quick this board is to point out rip offs, I'm surprised that nobody else has really pointed it out. Yes, it is a very nice logo, I love it in fact. It just sucks Adidas thought of it first...

I think people aren't speaking up simply because Fraser is probably the most talented guy on the whole site, and it's hard to criticize anyone who is infinitely more talented than you. Just my take...it's late so maybe I'll read this later and wish I never posted it...

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

I realize its totally accidental, but I just don't see how such an elite designer like Fraser would want to have a personal logo that has the Adidas logo right in it. Especially with how quick this board is to point out rip offs, I'm surprised that nobody else has really pointed it out. Yes, it is a very nice logo, I love it in fact. It just sucks Adidas thought of it first...

I think people aren't speaking up simply because Fraser is probably the most talented guy on the whole site, and it's hard to criticize anyone who is infinitely more talented than you. Just my take...it's late so maybe I'll read this later and wish I never posted it...

You're off base if you really feel that way. Everyone gets called out when they deserve it. There are plenty of dopes on here who post nothing like "OMG ur AMAZING!!!" whenever someone with above-average talent posts a design, but most designers know how to communicate with each other in a way that gets the point across without slamming. Look at STL's criticism for example. I don't agree with it, but it was delivered in a way that's respectful to a good designer while still being critical. You're never going to see anyone come on here and say "lol Fraser, way to rip off adidas you douche!" because the majority of people who will have a critique know how to express their point.

think the reason you're not seeing anyone "speaking up" is because it's such a stretch. As stated above, it certainly is there, but you have to jump through hoops to find it, and when viewed within the context of the whole package, it's next-to non-existent.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yo, cheers for the feedback. To be honest, I dont really notice the Adidas thing. The actual Adidas logo is different in a few ways (the ends dont align, the angle of the stripes is less acute, it doesn't come to a point, the edges are sharp and the whole thing is lies flat) but sure, if you flip it round, disregard the other half of the logo and the circle, I guess its a quite a similar shape.

Im only interested in what people think about the logo. I tend to disagree a bit about the Adidas thing. Doesn't mean I dont value the input or that I think your are necessarily wrong, all points of view are subjective i the case of design. It is interesting to me that in all the years (3 or 4 now) that Ive used iterations on the mark (and some have been identical to the FD part) I dont recal the adidas logo being mentioned. It may have been that the use of colour on the sections in the past made is more dissimilar?

Im sure people dont pull their punches when they critique my work, I dont think Im especially soft or hard on anyone on the board either. I try to make most of my critical posts constructive and give people a few ideas as to how they can improve their work, but its no skin off my nose either way. Its not a character assassination, its just logos we are talking about. Im not quite sure why anyone would not 'speak up' about my stuff, like I say there arent a lot of ad homonym attacks on the concept forum.

I think its important to note that you cannot please all the people. Much of design is about the editorial process and whose and what critical advice you choose to act upon. Sometimes I read posts about my logos and just think they are straight wrong, other times its right on the money. It doesn't necessarily follow that only people who can design logos can critique them either. If I didn't want to know what people think I just wouldn't post my stuff, and if I only wanted people to say nice stuff, Id just show my work to my grandma.

Actually, I will agree with one of STL's points - the horizontal dividing bar is unnecessary. The circle kind of acts as the divider between the FD and the text. Maybe I just haven't accepted the circle as part of the actual logo with the FD, and not just a container for the FD, but either way, the horizontal bar just adds unnecessary verticality.

Fraser is a good guy and a true professional, and I'll echo his words about giving and receiving critique. I can see the point about the adidas logo, when you eliminate the rest of the logo as Fraser said, but in this case it's a non factor and the fact is he never WILL eliminate the rest of his logo and rotate it in such a way.

FD, I'll echo the point about the circle by STL, I don't see it as necessary, but it does provide a nice container and focal point for the mark. The horizontal divider to me when viewed especially at small sizes acts as both a divider, and as I saw it, a shadow for the circle. It breaks up the visual rhythm nicely between the circle and type, so I can see it serving a purpose. I would like to point out the detail put in in the rounded corners of the monogram is a nice touch.

Personal ID is so often so difficult to do, but I think you can take this further, Fraser. I'd like to see you try and go to the next evolution of the monogram, rather than what feels more like a devolution.

OD_Signature.jpg

I like it, it works really well on its own in its minimalist form and with your skills it will work when you styalize it up. Would like to see it on a matt black business card with the circle embossed on the back, reckon it would look class.

logo.png

Archived