Logos you Dislike, but Still Respect

kmw_29

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic doesn't make any sense. When evaluating a design, how can you dislike it but still "respect" it? If you dislike it, then there's obviously things that you would do to improve or change it if given the chance.

I understand what the O.P. is saying.

You may want to change things in the logo, you may think the logo is awful, but said logo has been around so long and has such history and great teams behind it, changing it is kind of verboten. So you respect that history behind the logo, even if it isn't what you think is the best...

If that's the case, then the New York Islanders logo it is. Ugly, crammed, poorly designed, but damn it, it has character and history.

I'll give you crammed and poorly designed but that logo still looks great in spite of its flaws.

You like the classic NYI mark, but you dislike the Sabres logo :P

See, personal preference :D

Mostly my acceptance of the Islanders' logo comes down to a lack of a reasonable alternative. The fisherman would have been a great logo for an alternate sweaters, but it just couldn't cut it as a full time replacement. The lighthouse alternate from the fisherman sweater is missing something, I'm not sure what, to get it up to par as a primary crest.

I'd like to see what the classic Islanders' mark would look like if it got an Arizona Cardinals-style facelift.

On an unrelated note, Nash 61... What is your avatar from?

The most overplayed, done-to-death meme this side of Rick Astley.

If only I could un-learn this...

That's the general reaction from most people.

It's only up for today, because it's Friday. After that, it goes back to the usual March Madness Gator.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I've never really liked the SABRES original logo, but at least respect it now .... especially after seeing the goat followed by the slug (I actually liked the slug uniform & colors, just not the slug logo) ... I've got great memories of going to alot of games at the old AUD and will always have the French Connection line in my memory wearing those original uniforms with the Buffalo and sabre sword logo.

To me I took the change badly as we were the AHL BISONS who I went to see play alot when I was a little boy in their last few seasons before we entered the NHL with Vancouver in '70/'71 ...

The BISONS were owned by the Pepsi Cola bottling company and we had the logo resembling it. Always felt that was the coolest damn hockey logo around.

I was excited yet one very upset lil' boy when I went to my first SABRES game when reality set in when seeing that Pepsi bottle cap and uniform gone. :cry:

bisonsjersey2.jpg

I guess the Lakers' logo. Just awful, but it's been around so long I can't imagine them with any other logo.

Yep, totally agree.

2nd on my list is the Utah Jazz with their "old" now new again musical note logo.. Why?? Why??

I don't know. I never smoked AstroTurf. ~Tug McGraw, when asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf.

Anything to do with the Yankees, pooped into my head. Wouldn't be right though without the NY logo.

Ewww

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So I think I get it. A more appropriate title would be "Logos you dislike, but have accepted."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This topic doesn't make any sense. When evaluating a design, how can you dislike it but still "respect" it? If you dislike it, then there's obviously things that you would do to improve or change it if given the chance.

I sort of interpreted it more like Discogod did...Not so much that I respect the logo, but that it is so ingrained as a part of the team, I would not mess with it, even if there is no way in hell it would be acceptable (by me anyway) as new today. For example, the Vikings horns. I've always felt they should have put the Norseman on the helmet from day one, but after 50 years, the helmet is their identity and I would not want them to overhaul it, even to a superior design.

Couldn't disagree more. The horned helmets make up one of the top 3 helmets in any football league ever.

Archived