An Aussie Football Experiment

footballfiji

I know things have been done like this before, most notably Bill Simmons picking a premiere league team. So, with the start of the Australian Rules Football, I need the boards help picking a team. I've brushed up on the rules, I've watched a few matches, I think I'm ready to dive headlong into the AFL season. But which team is the team for me?

That's where I need the boards help. I'm an Auburn fan, and most of my sports passions come from there, so I'm looking for the most "Pro-Auburn" team that I can find. A team that:

-Is located in a smaller/Rural area (although I think this is tough considering most of teams are in Metro areas)

-Is normally the "underdog"

-Has a rivalry with an historically dominant team (their Alabama Crimson Tide)

-Had a "superstar" player in the past. One that changed the game, is seen as a legend (Bo Jackson)

-Has some form or Orange or Blue in the colors (not a must, but a hope)

-Will be competitive in 2011 (doesn't have to be a front runner, but hopefully not a bottom feeder)

-Is great for a "rookie" fan like myself.

Any ideas? Any personal favorites for you?

-Is located in a smaller/Rural area (although I think this is tough considering most of teams are in Metro areas)

-Is normally the "underdog"

-Has a rivalry with an historically dominant team (their Alabama Crimson Tide)

-Had a "superstar" player in the past. One that changed the game, is seen as a legend (Bo Jackson)

-Has some form or Orange or Blue in the colors (not a must, but a hope)

-Will be competitive in 2011 (doesn't have to be a front runner, but hopefully not a bottom feeder)

-Is great for a "rookie" fan like myself.

The Fremantle Dockers fit all of the crossed criteria.

Although they don't have a rivalry with a 'historic' team, they have a big rivalry with the west coast eagles and 'derby' week (the week when they play each other) is always massive over here in Perth. Also they are a middle level team on the rise.

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

• 4 weeks later...

The Tigers. When we were in Melbourne and our tour bus went past the G and Punt Road Oval, the driver explained to us how the Tigers were "one of the strongest teams in the AFL - you have to be pretty strong to support 14 teams above you on the ladder." He then drove us past Collingwood and made us all boo. Bought a Tigers knit cap at a sport store downtown the day after.

The great thing about rooting for the Tigers is, you can be genuinely excited and pleased with a 13th-place finish. It's like supporting the Detroit Lions, if the Lions had any actual history of success.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Tigers. When we were in Melbourne and our tour bus went past the G and Punt Road Oval, the driver explained to us how the Tigers were "one of the strongest teams in the AFL - you have to be pretty strong to support 14 teams above you on the ladder." He then drove us past Collingwood and made us all boo. Bought a Tigers knit cap at a sport store downtown the day after.

The great thing about rooting for the Tigers is, you can be genuinely excited and pleased with a 13th-place finish. It's like supporting the Detroit Lions, if the Lions had any actual history of success.

Sodboy now now we have won 10 premierships in 1oo years that's a decent average compared to the Dogs and Saints with one.

it's only been from about 1985 that we have been holding up the ladder and we have made the finals 3 times since 1990.

We will return to glory.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

That's what I meant by "actual history of success."

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That's what I meant by "actual history of success."

Sorry sodboy.

yes i read it wrong i see what you meant that the lions could be like the tigers if

How long ago did you do the tour?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Back in November of '09. Longing for a return.

Back in November of '09. Longing for a return.

You from Aus?

And next time go to the MCG Museum of sports, it is absolutely fantastic.

Also Punt Rd Oval has had some major renovations and is worth another look.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Well, the Detroit Lions have won four World Championships.

And haven't come close to one in the last 54 years.

Archived