"New" Logo for McNeese State (La)

GeauxColonels

The McNeese State Cowboys in Lake Charles, LA debuted it's new, updated look - adding a more Western/Cowboy look to its logo:

rp_primary_Enhanced_McNeese_Athletics.jpg

http://www.mcneesesports.com/news/2011/3/20/GEN_0320110727.aspx

Some History

Several years back, they were forced to change their logo because it was too similar to that of Wyoming's

mcneese-state-cowboys-primary-logo-primary.jpgwyoming.png

The change was to this (which I've always felt needed a different "M" because that looked too much like Michigan's "M":

default_clip_image002.jpg

Overall, I like the change. It gives them a little more of their own identity but is still recognizable to those of us that are familiar with McNeese State and the Southland Conference. What do you guys think?

gYH2mW9.png

It's an Enhancement. IDK if it's tradition down there, but it'd be more of an enhancement if they took Cowboys off the name plate of their jersey and just kept it blank.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

It's an Enhancement. IDK if it's tradition down there, but it'd be more of an enhancement if they took Cowboys off the name plate of their jersey and just kept it blank.

I agree. But I think it is sort of a tradition for them.

gYH2mW9.png

The updated "M" is a nice touch. They definitely needed to do more to distinguish their identify from Michigan's, what with the block M, the similar color scheme, and the "Geaux Blue" chant.

I'm not a fan of the "Geaux Blue" chant, in any event. It's clearly derivative (fake spelling notwithstanding), and probably should be changed as well.

Huge improvement. Somehow, the old logo looks like a cowboy riding a horse with an "M" slapped over top of it...but this one looks like a logo.

However, this is all negated by the fact that they spelled "go" wrong.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Geaux is pretty common in Louisiana, even here in SE Texas with the Cajun families myself included.. At LSU it's Geaux Tigers, even Nicholls has a logo that says Geaux Colonels.

Just because "everyone" does something doesn't mean it looks right or is right. :P

when did that TNOB trend start? It smacks of 1975 and very high school. Yes,it would be an enhancement if they took it off.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

No one's going to comment on the typo in their official image? "ENHANCE" McNeese Athletics? It's even referenced in the article as "Enhanced."

I like the update without bevels...but this redo smells like Phoenix. It says "Torch Creative," I know...but it reeks of Phoenix. Anything using a detailed animal/person/both logo, a seemingly-common font (western with points, like Angels and Rangers), bevels (esp when not needed) and outlines, it screams Phoenix. Especially when not a lot changed.

I guess PDW has soured me on updating looks...and I actually kinda like the tweaks here. Am I alone on the PDW vibe?

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I don't think the beveling is necessary but still looks nice.

It's not. The version on Uni Watch doesn't have beveling and looks better, IMO.

5554893884_06158e58c5_z.jpg

Definitely. Nicholls State has the same thing with a beveled version of the primary logo (which is used on the football helmet) but a flat version of the logo used on practically everything else. I definitely prefer the non-beveled looks for both Nicholls State and McNeese State.

gYH2mW9.png

Huge improvement. Somehow, the old logo looks like a cowboy riding a horse with an "M" slapped over top of it...but this one looks like a logo.

Geaux is pretty common in Louisiana, even here in SE Texas with the Cajun families myself included.. At LSU it's Geaux Tigers, even Nicholls has a logo that says Geaux Colonels.

Just because "everyone" does something doesn't mean it looks right or is right. :P

Valid points regarding the use of "Geaux" vs "Go"...but with small, regional universities like Nicholls State or McNeese state, it helps with location identification. The average fan would have no clue where either school is. BUT, if someone sees the use of "Geaux" then there is a much better chance that they will identify them as being from Louisiana.

gYH2mW9.png

Valid points regarding the use of "Geaux" vs "Go"...but with small, regional universities like Nicholls State or McNeese state, it helps with location identification. The average fan would have no clue where either school is. BUT, if someone sees the use of "Geaux" then there is a much better chance that they will identify them as being from Louisiana.

Valid point, but I can't imagine a situation where I'd see "Geaux Cowboys" and not be able to make a educated guess as to where McNeese State was. (basically, if someone has heard of McNeese State, they probably know that it's in Louisiana.)

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived