brandIDENTITY: Detroit Red Wings

tBBP

Here's something new from me: a venture into the world of pucks. Bet a lot of y'all didn't see this one coming. :P

Those of y'all who know me know I rarely stray outside my comfort zone when concocting concepts (that being football)...but a new creative spark combined with a bit of renewed vigor--and some extra time on my hands--led to this latest concept set. But why the Red Wings? Well, firstly, while I ain't the biggest puckhead around, I do enjoy the sport. Secondly, I've seen many a Red Wings concept over the years, some pretty darn good, some far better than anything I could have come up with--but yet and still, for whatever reason, I always felt that a particular "something" was missing. Of course, that may be due to the Red Wings' established status as a championship power--that is to say, "classic", "iconic", "untouchable"--that kind of stuff. (Speaking of which, let's get this out the way now: no logo/identity is "untouchable" in my book...no matter how "classic" or "iconic" it's deemed to be. I can't say I won't touch more "untouchables" in the future, either. B))

In any event, my entire goal in doing this was to give the Red Wings a more modern-day facelift that could possibly endure another hundred years or so--but, of course, I also know there are folks who'll scream bloody murder at the mere mention of "facelift", so I knew the best route to modernize the Wings' identity was to aim for a faithful yet fresh update of the original, a la the Arizona Cardinals. To do this, I studied both the current winged wheel as well as the alternate versions used back in the '40s and again in the '70s, stripped out some of the more extraneous details, sharpened some edges, and came up with a version that I think still holds true to the firmly entrenched heritage of the current mark...but with a discernable modern touch. Along with that, I also took time to update the Wings' current and sorely outdated script mark--this one I think might surprise some people, but, to paraphrase a popular saying in kitchens all over the South, "I really tried to stick my foot in this one". For what it's worth, I also made some slight touches to the alternate Old English "D" emblam, as well. But that isn't all...

...I didn't do much to change the uniforms--and actally, unless you've got a real good eye, you probably wouldn't even catch them, at least on the primary home/away sets. Well actually, I did make a pretty "big" change on the red sweaters--contrasting sleeves, to match the white sweaters. Felt it would break up the red a little bit more. Also added ever-so-subtle silver accents to both sets. Now, here's where things get interesting: I did come up with a somewhat different spin on the Wings' Winter Classic jerseys as the alt kit in this concept set--using silver as the base, and borrowing an element from my Detroit Lions NPC concept--the jersey numbers--to add a tad bit of "spice" and to keep the Old English theme going.

All in all, I didn't try to reinvent the wheel with this set here (although, in a way, I guess you could say I sorta kinda did)...just come up with a slightly updated, yet fresher reversion of the kits we're all so familiar with now in current day. And now with all that said, here's what I came up with for the Detroit Red Wings...lemme know what you think.

DETredwings_stylebook1a.png

DETredwings_stylebook2b.png

EDIT: if neither of these images show up, try clicking here and here. FAKE EDIT #2: fixed the NOB spelling error--thanks for the tip-off, DP.

So there you have it. (Speaking of, I don't have any good hockey player/action templates--and the one I do have is maddeningly frustrating to maniupluate, so if any of you happen to have a good one to use, please let a brotha know...thanks!) As always, I welcome all C&C...gimme whatcha got!

~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really liking this, Buc! The updated logo looks very sharp, and I like what you've done with the home. And dare I say it, I actually like the Red Wings better with the silver trim. It really looks fantastic. Great job!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I think you did a good job with you logo redesign, but I prefer the real thing. The sweaters, however, catch my eye. I'd never want the wings to do it in real life, but there's something about the white sleeves on the red sweater that I actually like. The silver trim is done in a respectful, subdued way as well, and I like the number font on the alts, and I'm liking the gray alt itself more and more the more I look at it.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

I really like the simplification of the redwing, and I really enjoy the beveling style on the wordmark, but I'm not big on the silver outline on the main logo, nor am I liking it on the uniforms, it just doesn't feel like the wings to me. Now I DO like the grey alternate jersey, so I think incorporating it in other ways might be nice. Maybe it's as simple as adding a white stroke around the main logo and THEN do the silver, that might help a bit. But overall this is a great update, really does a great job of accomplishing the goals you set out to meet. Well done!

OD_Signature.jpg

Wow...thanks, everyone!

To be honest, I was a little nervous about putting this one out, but I guess I probably shouldn't have been. And Gordie, I went back and looked at what you were talking about with the primary logo. I actually very briefly thought about a white outline/silver keyline combo, but to me it seemed like one outline too many. That said, I do see your point, and I think it has to do with the dearth of silver in the logo itself, save for that keyline. Very good point there...and I do appreciate your insight, being the pro that you are.

Lemme also say this..davidson, if you're seeing this, I owe you a big-time shout-out of appreciation...those videos, the time you took to explain your processes even before those, really helped me dig in, refine and enhance my own processes. Some of the result is what y'all see above...and I get the feeling there'll be more to come somewhere down the line.

(So I suppose I'm officially unretired from doing this stuff now... ^_^ )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It looks pretty good, but you fell into the same trap I see with a lot of Red Wings concepts by going with contrasting sleeves on the red jerseys. The genius of their uniforms is that the sleeves on both the home and road jerseys are red, meaning the players always have red "wings." Without that, the uniforms aren't nearly as cool, even if the jerseys do look good otherwise.

I like the third. It intrigues me. I like the Olde English numbers to match the D; one of my peeves with the Winter Classic sweater was the highly anachronistic Trade Gothic nameplate.

The red sweaters with white sleeves remind me a lot of what Wisconsin wears for hockey.

Good work overall. I'd be interested in your further exploration of hockey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There is something about the white sleeves that just doesn't look right to me - I can't put it into words yet though. It just seems "weak" for the sleeves to terminate in white (that's not the best word, but it's the best I can come up with right now.)

I do like it better than the current solid red sleeve with single stripe, but What if below the silver it just became red again? Or do like today, and keep the sleeves the same on both jerseys, but also keep the shoulder yoke the same (so white on the red jersey?) If you look at the arms as "wings", then maybe they should stay red on both?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived