Mets Players Dislike Black Unis?

TBGKon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The normal rule of thumb is to completely disregard the uniform taste of athletes. However, they are on to something with this one. If the Mets are like many other teams which let the starting pitcher choose the jersey of the day, hopefully they follow through on it and don't wear the black jersey or caps.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Mets NEED a blue alternate, that would look awesome.

Only if it was a road jersey with the NEW YORK and piping. Otherwise it'd look like a BP or fashion jersey, like their mid '80s roadies did.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The normal rule of thumb is to completely disregard the uniform taste of athletes. However, they are on to something with this one. If the Mets are like many other teams which let the starting pitcher choose the jersey of the day, hopefully they follow through on it and don't wear the black jersey or caps.

The Mets' choice of jersey (and caps at home) have traditionally been made by the equipment manager. The Mets Police article said the use of black is a marketing decision, but the equipment manager may have certain guidelines on how much it needs to be used, etc.

I dislike the Mets intensely, but like their classic blue-and-orange color scheme. Here's hoping against hope the black will be gone one day.

This can't happen soon enough (and i'm a Yanks fan !!! ) The original Mets unis are some of the BEST in the game. I might even like them more than my own team's uniforms...

If you go pinstripes and solid-blue cap full-time at home and keep the away jersey but use the blue hat on the road, along with blue undershirt, you're on to something!!!

The normal rule of thumb is to completely disregard the uniform taste of athletes. However, they are on to something with this one.

Yes, lets disrgard them...unless they share an opinion or taste that I do.

Did you read the article? It said BLACK SELLS. That's why they wear them. These franchises aren't charities. They are in business to make money. Obviously, they feel black makes them money in merchandise.

The Mets should really go with a solid white home jersey, with a blue alternate home jersey. Ditch the pinstripes. You aren't the Yankees. Solid blue hat with both uniforms.

On the road, the Mets should wear solid grey uniforms, with a black alternate jersey. Black hat with blue brim with both uniforms.

As lame as the Mets are, it doesn't matter what they wear. All 11,000 people in the stadium in April won't care either.

The normal rule of thumb is to completely disregard the uniform taste of athletes. However, they are on to something with this one.

Did you read the article? It said BLACK SELLS. That's why they wear them. These franchises aren't charities. They are in business to make money. Obviously, they feel black makes them money in merchandise.

The Mets should really go with a solid white home jersey, with a blue alternate home jersey. Ditch the pinstripes. You aren't the Yankees. Solid blue hat with both uniforms.

On the road, the Mets should wear solid grey uniforms, with a black alternate jersey. Black hat with blue brim with both uniforms.

As lame as the Mets are, it doesn't matter what they wear. All 11,000 people in the stadium in April won't care either.

Ignoring you can also be included in the rule of thumb as well.

So you're saying the original Mets uniform is a sham because it pays homage to the Yankees (perhaps) and has the pinstripes???

Just because something sells doesn't mean it is of great quality.

As Jon Stewart said on his show this week while interviewing Fox News' Bret Baier, who spoke of Fox's success because of its high ratings:

"It's not that it's not popular or powerful...so is crack."

Why can't you still SELL the black jersey and black hats as novelty things (the way they do now), but wear stuff that makes them look like, i dunno, THE METS.

BLACK SELLS.

Unproven. We don't know that to be true.

It obviously did for a while, but the fact that more and more blue merchandise is available tells me that their black sales are diminishing.

Not to mention: so what? The Yankees sell a ton of red caps, which they've never worn on the field. You can sell fashion merchandise without compromising the integrity of your franchise's identity.

Wait a tick - "integrity". No wonder the Wilpons don't realize this.

Yea cause those BLACK Arizona Cardinals jerseys are flying off the sales racks. *rolls eyes*

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Because people like to wear the same stuff that the pros wear on the field. I don't think fashion jerseys sell that well anyway.

Do you have stats on that ? I have a Dodgers-style Yanks cap as well as a green/yellow one. I know they don't wear it in real games. Just thought they were cool. The Yanks wearing these would have no effect on my interest in them or my ability to buy 'em. Just go to your neighborhood Lids.

Fashion caps are different from fashion jerseys - people buy those to match with their clothes, sneakers, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have stats on fashion jerseys, but from what I've seen at games, most jerseys I see are replicas or authentics or even bootlegs of the game-used jerseys. From that empirical evidence, it seems sports fans tend to buy jerseys that closely match what is worn by the players, as opposed to completely different designs or recolors.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Why don't you read this one...Mets Police. It says no black in the top sellers on Mets shop.com. As a long time Met fan I can insure you that no fan wants the black to be a color scheme anymore. Sure it was cool in the 90's but that fad is far gone.

3535rx3.jpg

Fashion caps are different from fashion jerseys - people buy those to match with their clothes, sneakers, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have stats on fashion jerseys, but from what I've seen at games, most jerseys I see are replicas or authentics or even bootlegs of the game-used jerseys. From that empirical evidence, it seems sports fans tend to buy jerseys that closely match what is worn by the players, as opposed to completely different designs or recolors.

That's not the best sample, since black was added to the color scheme to sell merchandise to non-fans.

Why Black? Read this for the official reason why the Mets added black. (3rd paragraph). It was added as a style element after the marketing staff did research to see what was popular in the market place. That is the real reason. End of discussion.

3535rx3.jpg

Archived