2011 Final Four

GriffinM6

I always felt a way to add importence to the reguar season is to cap all conference tournament at 8 teams, and cap the number of teams that can go to NCAA at 8 per league as well.

That really only hurts the Big East though. All 11 teams that they sent to the Tournament this year deserved to make it. Most teams didn't capitalize on their opportunity, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have made it in the first place. The Big East only sent a slightly bigger proportion of their teams than the Big Ten did.

The Big East did not deserve 11 and the Big Ten did not deserve seven. Out of those 18 teams, only 4, 2 each conference, made it to the sweet 16. Cap each conference selections at half their league total. Big East no more than 8, Big Ten and the other 12 team leagues no more than 6, and the Big 12 no more than 5 starting next year. I'd rather they cap a conferences total number of teams at 12, but it doesn't seem likely.

I think it's pretty hard to make an argument to put Colorado, Virginia Tech, and St. Mary's into the tournament over the 9th, 10th, and 11th teams that got in from the Big East. Setting a maximum number of teams would only hurt teams for playing in a conference that had a strong year.

Then you're simply rewarding teams for being in a stronger conference regardless of how they finish. Colorado and Virginia Tech are from Power Conferences, so you can't really make that argument. Yes, the Big East may be the top, but they're still on the same level. How well did the Big East do outside the conferece? That's what should really decide how strong the conference is.

Well their 9th placed team, UConn, was undefeated out of the conference, including wins over such teams as then-#2 Michigan State, National Semi-Finalist Kentucky twice, Texas, Tennessee, San Diego State, and Arizona.

And that "11th team" that you claim shouldn't have been in, went to the Sweet Sixteen. Sorry, no way you're convincing me that Saint Mary's is anywhere near as good as Marquette.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goddamnit, we were only a few inches away from that possibly being us...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Syracuse is another team that went undefeated out of conference, with wins against Michigan, Michigan State, Georgia Tech, and NC State.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Syracuse is another team that went undefeated out of conference, with wins against Michigan, Michigan State, Georgia Tech, and NC State.

Weren't Tech and NC State awful this year though? Shoot Michigan State and Michigan weren't THAT good.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Weren't Tech and NC State awful this year though? Shoot Michigan State and Michigan weren't THAT good.

No, they're weren't that good. But the point is SU and UConn -- two Big East teams -- were undefeated out of conference. That's pretty good.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

No, they're weren't that good. But the point is SU and UConn -- two Big East teams -- were undefeated out of conference. That's pretty good.

It depends on who you play. Illinois damn near went undefeated out of Conference thanks to a terribly unambitious schedule, and nobody's praising th...oh that's why they got to the dance. Carry on.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Meanwhile, while y'all in here ramblin' bout all that...for those of y'all who cared to watch it, you saw a daggone good womens' final--a helluva lot better than that brickfest last night.

Listen...at the end of the day, men, women, don't matter--basketball is basketball. And in my humble opinion, the womens' final four proved a lot more entertaining than the mens' side. And the funny thing is, along the way, the womens' side produced exactly the result many were clamoring for on the mens' side--an upset victory. And the womens' top dogs got knocked out along the way (UT, Stanford, & UConn)...and now aTm can claim their first womens' basketball title. Congrats, Gary Blair and the rest of the Aggies.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It depends on who you play. Illinois damn near went undefeated out of Conference thanks to a terribly unambitious schedule, and nobody's praising th...oh that's why they got to the dance. Carry on.

They played Texas, Maryland, North Carolina, and Gonzaga non-conference, not exactly unambitious. But they still lost to UIC which might even be worse than USC's loss to Bradley. Oh, and Jereme Richmond declared for the draft after his stellar average of about six points per game.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Meanwhile, while y'all in here ramblin' bout all that...for those of y'all who cared to watch it, you saw a daggone good womens' final--a helluva lot better than that brickfest last night.

Listen...at the end of the day, men, women, don't matter--basketball is basketball. And in my humble opinion, the womens' final four proved a lot more entertaining than the mens' side. And the funny thing is, along the way, the womens' side produced exactly the result many were clamoring for on the mens' side--an upset victory. And the womens' top dogs got knocked out along the way (UT, Stanford, & UConn)...and now aTm can claim their first womens' basketball title. Congrats, Gary Blair and the rest of the Aggies.

I agree. I've never understood the "hating" that's directed towards women's basketball...hell, women's sports in general. A good game is a good game. Doesn't matter what gender is playing in it.

BB52Big.jpg

Absolutely agree with Buc and Infrared here. Why does women's basketball get so much crap? They're playing the same sport men are, and playing just as hard. Heck, alot of women players are REALLY talented, maybe even more so than some men. I know if I played a one-on-one with any member of the women's team back in high school, they'd have beaten the crap out of me - I have enormous respect for women atheletes.

I'll admit, I didnt get to catch the women's final tonight (too much homework), but I was hoping it'd be a great game, and from the sound of it, it was. I'm glad to hear it, too.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I've given women's basketball a fair chance (as I do any sport/league), and I just can't get into it. Let's face it, generally speaking, women basketball players are smaller, shorter, and weaker. These are just facts. Those are important factors to me in terms of how enjoyable a basketball game (or any sport) is. Also, we are talking about a sport where height is pretty important to a player's success. I'm not saying there aren't good, short basketball players, but height is more crucial in basketball than any other sport I can think of.

I didn't see the Women's Final tonight, but even if it was a good game, that doesn't really make me any more inclined to watch women's basketball. I'm not doubting it was a great game, but pickup games at the YMCA can be great too... it doesn't mean I want to watch them.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Sorry, no way you're convincing me that Saint Mary's is anywhere near as good as Marquette.

Nobody thought VCU was any good either.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

They played Texas, Maryland, North Carolina, and Gonzaga non-conference, not exactly unambitious. But they still lost to UIC which might even be worse than USC's loss to Bradley. Oh, and Jereme Richmond declared for the draft after his stellar average of about six points per game.

You mean they would have had an available scholly for Max Bielfeldt after all?

Yare yare *facepalm*

Today, we are all otaku.

I'd still rather see a college game anyday over an NBA game. At least they try in college.

Remind me never to go out to dinner with you, McCall.

"blecch! This burger is terrible!"

"Yeah, but did you see how the cook was grimacing as he prepared it? He was really grinding that meat!"

see because he's a grinder and

That makes no sense whatsoever.

It sounds like something from that painful to watch show Bob's Burgers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Sorry, no way you're convincing me that Saint Mary's is anywhere near as good as Marquette.

And in reality, they weren't. They beat a USC team that lost to Bradley, a Georgetown team who was grossly overseeded and had lost their last 4 games (and 5 out of 6), a Purdue team that had a terrible end to the regular season, a #10 seed in Florida State, and a Kansas team that always overlooks mid-majors.

They then lost to a Butler team who wasn't that good all season long anyways.

/Marquette proved their selection by making the Sweet Sixteen, did they not?

6fQjS3M.png

I'd still rather see a college game anyday over an NBA game. At least they try in college.

Remind me never to go out to dinner with you, McCall.

"blecch! This burger is terrible!"

"Yeah, but did you see how the cook was grimacing as he prepared it? He was really grinding that meat!"

see because he's a grinder and

That makes no sense whatsoever.

It sounds like something from that painful to watch show Bob's Burgers.

I find that show hilarious. Ill be bummed if it's not renewed for another year.

PvO6ZWJ.png

And in reality, they weren't. They beat a USC team that lost to Bradley, a Georgetown team who was grossly overseeded and had lost their last 4 games (and 5 out of 6), a Purdue team that had a terrible end to the regular season, a #10 seed in Florida State, and a Kansas team that always overlooks mid-majors.

They then lost to a Butler team who wasn't that good all season long anyways.

/Marquette proved their selection by making the Sweet Sixteen, did they not?

We'll never know, but St. Mary's could have made the Sweet 16 as well. Doesn't mean Marquette is better. Who did Marquette beat out-of-conference this year? I'd like to see your list of quality out-of-conference wins for Marquette, especially during the regular season.

VCU had to be pretty good to beat all those teams. Nobody complained about Georgetown's seed before the tournament started. If Purdue is written off as no good because of a terrible end to the regular season, then UConn was terrible too. Florida State was a #10 seed that destroyed Notre Dame. Aside from UConn, the Big East proved it was a joke in the tournament. That's why I don't think you can say that Marquette is definitely better than St. Mary's. Marquette made the Sweet 16 because they beat another Big East softy to get there, and even then, Marquette only beat Syracuse because of a gratuitous backcourt violation from the refs.

EDIT: As I'm checking Purdue's schedule, please, sizemorematters, please tell me how Purdue had a terrible end to their regular season...they finished the regular season 8-2 and beat Ohio State during their last 10 games. What a terrible finish... <_<

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived