Fort Lauderdale Strikers Crest & Kits Unveiled

fishheatcats

I agree with Mockba, I wish the green and gold had stayed but the reverse bib won't be missed. The blue jersey is kinda coming out of left field, I suppose it's kinda sorta Mutiny-esque. The team is playing in St Pete though, so at least they won't actually be coming out of left field anymore. ^_^

It's a shame the Mutiny - Fusion rivalry never developed. It could have helped keep the teams around longer, imo. fishheatcats, what's with the Rod, err, FC hate? Based on one short season or (real) NASL carryover? Sadly I'm not old enough to have experienced the true heyday of North American soccer.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Mockba, I wish the green and gold had stayed but the reverse bib won't be missed. The blue jersey is kinda coming out of left field, I suppose it's kinda sorta Mutiny-esque. The team is playing in St Pete though, so at least they won't actually be coming out of left field anymore. ^_^

It's a shame the Mutiny - Fusion rivalry never developed. It could have helped keep the teams around longer, imo. fishheatcats, what's with the Rod, err, FC hate? Based on one short season or (real) NASL carryover? Sadly I'm not old enough to have experienced the true heyday of North American soccer.

The hate is based on one short season really. I was born the year after the original NASL folded and though I played and enjoyed soccer as a young kid, never made it out to a ASL/APSL Strikers game.

I've been a member of the Miami Ultras supporters group since it formed in 2008, and this offseason I lead the charge to form a new Fort Lauderdale-based supporters group called Flight 19, as well as the creation of an umbrella group called South Florida United that strives to rally the fractured So. Fla. soccer fanbase around our current team. We've already had a new group join up called the City of Sunrise Elite, and we've had some new fans join up so it's been a success so far.

Anyway, as a member of the MFC(now Strikers) supporters, we had some adventures last season with the Tampa supporters. We traveled to Tampa twice, and TB came down here 3 times. In Tampa on July 4th Ralph's Mob threw beer at one of our guys. After the USOC match down here, the Mob picked a fight with one of our guys in the parking lot outside Lockhart. Then at the last game there were some kids at Lockhart waving flags near where the Mob was sitting and one of the Mob guys smacked a flag out of one of their hands and knocked the kid down. So really it's the TB supporters I don't like. Though most of the Mob I've met has been very friendly and non-confrontational, a few bad apples tarnished their reputation with us.

In a nice bit of irony, I'm the guy who designed the Ralph's Mob logo, one of them reached out to me on BigSoccer and I hooked them up with their visual identity. This was before the team's season so we had yet to have any issues with them.

It's the same reason why I hate the Knicks, Jets, Bills, Patriots, Mets and Yankees in the other sports. The fans that attend the games down here are just jerks and I hate them lol. I've never had my feathers ruffled due to a Magic, Bucs, Jags, Rays or Lightning fan. FCTB has officially joined the hate list though haha.

It's (usually) all in good fun though and it makes those games the most fun and exciting of the season. Can't wait to make it up for the two games in St. Pete this year at what should be a much better environment for the games than last year at Steinbrenner Field.

AH, say no more. Unfortunately there's always some bad apples in a group like that who really muck it up for others. I knew the actual Ralph long before there was a Ralph's Mob, he's a good guy. Loves his soccer, for sure.

I'm up and down on the move to St Pete. I think the field conditions will be much better (no more dirt infield), but it's a lot further drive for me! lol. Not sure if I can attend more than 1-2 games this season with my schedule but I'm hoping.

You going to the Gold Cup game at Raymond James in June?

Archived