New Jersey Nets logo have new logo updated in 10-11

netsjazz

I always figured the logo was an abstract interpretation of the hoop with "Nets" serving as the net. And I always considered the redesign an upgrade from what they had, especially the color scheme of navy, red and silver. I don't like how it's evolved to red-dominant, but in the early years it was nice. Although some teams (Hawks, in particular) have copied it, the scheme hasn't been overused like in baseball or like double blue in the NBA.

I would hate to see the Nets go retro and just red, whitw and royal blue, especially with the Wizards going that route and the 76ers already back. Maybe the Knights --or whatever they are called -- will come up with another original color scheme and a logo that is more easily executed.

Honestly, I don't think haaving an actual net in the logo would make it any better, and probably would be too intricate for some purposes. (Waiting for it to hit me 5 minutes after I post this for a good example of net usage in a logo.)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, aren't they moving to Brooklyn in 2012? So they modified this logo just for the 2011-12 season? Or is this a sign that they plan on keeping this logo for a while?

Anyway, I liked this Nets logo when it came out. It fit the 90's thing that a lot of other teams were doing that time. I was appropriate for the era. I didn't read too much into the fact that there might have not been a net or whatever. Lots of good logos don't include an image of the nickname. But it looks dated now (as do their uniforms).

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Wait, aren't they moving to Brooklyn in 2012? So they modified this logo just for the 2011-12 season? Or is this a sign that they plan on keeping this logo for a while?

Anyway, I liked this Nets logo when it came out. It fit the 90's thing that a lot of other teams were doing that time. I was appropriate for the era. I didn't read too much into the fact that there might have not been a net or whatever. Lots of good logos don't include an image of the nickname. But it looks dated now (as do their uniforms).

It hasn't been modified - at least officially.

It could be that some marketing types made some changes in order to emphasize the Red in the logo, but again - it's not an official change.

I still like the name and believe in its promise, they've just been unable to do anything good with it (other than the side panels, which are kind of neat): those chintzy patriotic uniforms, the terrible logo they have now, the weird 1991 uniforms, consistently ugly floors, so on.

What is it's "promise"? It's like a NFL team being named the Denver Goal Posts.

It's a concept piece. Starting in New York, it was named to rhyme with the other teams at the time..

Jets (football)

Mets (baseball)

Nets (basketball)

Sets (World Team Tennis)

Irony, of course, being the team's logo has no reference at all the nickname. Just like the Jets of now.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

That's kind of a silly update. They barely did anything. Not to mention, they're called the "Nets" yet their logo actually has a hoop with no net. Maybe they should change their name to the Rims. Opposing fans would have a field day with that though. Honestly, I just miss their old logo:

2hh70mg3h40yl41tzfpn3gha2-300x298.gif

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

That's kind of a silly update. They barely did anything. Not to mention, they're called the "Nets" yet their logo actually has a hoop with no net. Maybe they should change their name to the Rims. Opposing fans would have a field day with that though. Honestly, I just miss their old logo:

I'd totally forgotten that logo. Either that, or just blocked it from memory. That has to be the worst modern NBA logo - just so unimaginative and dull, with an unnecessary gradient. It's like everything bad about 90's logo design in a nutshell.

I'd totally forgotten that logo. Either that, or just blocked it from memory. That has to be the worst modern NBA logo - just so unimaginative and dull, with an unnecessary gradient. It's like everything bad about 90's logo design in a nutshell.

I've actually been working on a more accurate version of that logo for Chris:

NewJerseyNets_PML1_1991-1997.png

The gradient is REALLY close (I've got an official logosheet dated 1992 for comparison), and the colors are exact.

People are really stretching when they say the NETS in the current Nets logo represents the netting.

*logo snip*

The gradient is REALLY close (I've got an official logosheet dated 1992 for comparison), and the colors are exact.

Get rid of the gradient, blue text and a red ball, and you have a decent logo.

90's logos were usually more creative than this.

People are really stretching when they say the NETS in the current Nets logo represents the netting.

*logo snip*

Get rid of the gradient, blue text and a red ball, and you have a decent logo.

You'd have a painfully mediocre logo in the vein of the Clippers and Pistons. Though it'd still be an improvement. The guy who made the thread about "The Overused Logo Crutch" in the NBA was completely on point. Bring this back and there are 6 logos with just a basketball and the team name.

Well I rather have bland and ok instead of off the wall and terrible. If anything, the unique font for the NETS script is enough to carry the logo.

Besides, it's not like the current logo is anything other then a wordmark and a ball, if you really take a look at it.

I mean it's nothing exciting, or even good. It's the Nets though. What more do you want?

NewJerseyNets_PML1_1991-1997.png

I still like the name and believe in its promise, they've just been unable to do anything good with it (other than the side panels, which are kind of neat): those chintzy patriotic uniforms, the terrible logo they have now, the weird 1991 uniforms, consistently ugly floors, so on.

It's a concept piece. Starting in New York, it was named to rhyme with the other teams at the time..

Jets (football)

Mets (baseball)

Nets (basketball)

Sets (World Team Tennis)

Irony, of course, being the team's logo has no reference at all the nickname. Just like the Jets of now.

They need a team called the "Pets".

Rename the Islanders...it's not like you're killing any tradition of success. :P

87Redskins.png

Jets (football)

Mets (baseball)

Nets (basketball)

Sets (World Team Tennis)

Rename the Islanders...it's not like you're killing any tradition of success. :P

There's those 4 Stanley Cups in a row thingy...

Jets (football)

Mets (baseball)

Nets (basketball)

Sets (World Team Tennis)

44-01342-F.jpg

Archived