New Jersey Nets logo have new logo updated in 10-11

netsjazz

Borough President Marty Markowitz.

Borough President =/= Mayor. Just like Governor =/= President.

Not really when Bloomberg refuses to have anything to do with any borough except Manhattan.

=/= mean "not equal to."

I was saying that a borough president is not the same thing as a mayor. Which it isn't.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really when Bloomberg refuses to have anything to do with any borough except Manhattan.

Bloomberg's job is different than the Manhattan Borough President, right?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Bloomberg's job is different than the Manhattan Borough President, right?

Indeed.

Cities also have fire departments and police departments. Who has heard of Brooklyn Police Department? I mean I've heard of NYPD, but they must have no jurisdiction in Brooklyn.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

anything that made Brooklyn a truly unique place has been replaced with the yuppie and hipster cultures.

Only if your knowledge of Brooklyn comes largely from Bored to Death.

Sure, neighborhoods change. Welcome to New York. New nabes spring up, others shift. But unless your definition of "made Brooklyn a truly unique place" is "the Dodgers," the heart of Brooklyn endures.

Nets CEO: Name Announcement Coming "in the next month or two"

I can't think of a precedent for announcing a new identity 18 months - and an entire lame duck season (or parts thereof if there's a lockout) - before the team moves.

Brooklyn is a gigantic CITY.

No, it's a borough, like the other four. It used to be a city, but it isn't anymore. Lots of neighborhoods in cities used to be cities of their own, but they aren't anymore. The fetishization of Brooklyn is stupid nowadays.

I don't think the five boroughs are comparable to individual neighborhoods absorbed into larger cities. For one thing, the scale is much different - each borough is itself comprised of many very distinct neighborhoods that have barely homogenized with each other in many places. The consolidation that turned them from cities to boroughs was a change with more political than cultural implications, and the boroughs all retain strong, unique identities to this day, despite their shared civic infrastructure and the invasion of bike-riding, tea-drinking hipsters.

I find myself much more preoccupied with the what city is in the team's name than the name itself. While I'm excited about the team moving here, and became a Nets fan specifically because of the move, their arrival comes after many years of shadiness and anger. The arena was a Trojan Horse for their previous owner's ambitiously insane, out-of-whack housing/commercial development that now might not deliver the other perks he had to promise - union construction jobs and affordable housing. Several blocks of buildings - homes and businesses - were seized under the dubious guise of eminent domain and razed, and many of those blocks will become arena parking instead of urban development until the economy picks up. The original Frank Gehry design for the arena and complex was replaced, twice.

The one constant in all the cheerleading for this project, and the one thing I liked about any of it, was the idea of a team for Brooklyn. The idea of having an outlet for local pride besides the ghost of the baseball team that left almost 50 years ago, something to puff our chests out about, something (else) to be better than Manhattan at. It may all be marketing to the rest of the world (and, undoubtedly, it's a whole lot of marketing here too), but it'd seem like the last, and perhaps greatest, undelivered promise of all if Brooklyn got New York City's second team instead of Brooklyn's Team.

I find myself much more preoccupied with the what city is in the team's name than the name itself. While I'm excited about the team moving here, and became a Nets fan specifically because of the move, their arrival comes after many years of shadiness and anger. The arena was a Trojan Horse for their previous owner's ambitiously insane, out-of-whack housing/commercial development that now might not deliver the other perks he had to promise - union construction jobs and affordable housing. Several blocks of buildings - homes and businesses - were seized under the dubious guise of eminent domain and razed, and many of those blocks will become arena parking instead of urban development until the economy picks up. The original Frank Gehry design for the arena and complex was replaced, twice.

The one constant in all the cheerleading for this project, and the one thing I liked about any of it, was the idea of a team for Brooklyn. The idea of having an outlet for local pride besides the ghost of the baseball team that left almost 50 years ago, something to puff our chests out about, something (else) to be better than Manhattan at. It may all be marketing to the rest of the world (and, undoubtedly, it's a whole lot of marketing here too), but it'd seem like the last, and perhaps greatest, undelivered promise of all if Brooklyn got New York City's second team instead of Brooklyn's Team.

See, I think either way, it's still New York City's second team, because no matter what they wear or where they play, they'll always be the Nets in the shadow of the Knicks. I don't live there, but I can't calculate how the suburbs' team couching themselves in Brooklyn merchandise would mitigate all the bungling, lying, and disappointment involved with the Atlantic Yards project. All the stuff you said that I boldfaced, for what's end of the day still merely the Nets? To the part of the country most associated with neighborhood pride, bonds, and strength, is this worth it in the end? You say "yes"?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

See, I think either way, it's still New York City's second team, because no matter what they wear or where they play, they'll always be the Nets in the shadow of the Knicks. I don't live there, but I can't calculate how the suburbs' team couching themselves in Brooklyn merchandise would mitigate all the bungling, lying, and disappointment involved with the Atlantic Yards project. All the stuff you said that I boldfaced, for what's end of the day still merely the Nets? To the part of the country most associated with neighborhood pride, bonds, and strength, is this worth it in the end? You say "yes"?

I don't think the adoption of a Brooklyn-centric identity would take the edge off the circumstances of the team's arrival, nor do I think it should. But I think for the team to not take on the Brooklyn name would be the proverbial insult on top of injury - on top of everything else we failed to get out of this, we end up with the broadly municipal Mets instead of the more parochial Dodgers.

I don't live there, but I can't calculate how the suburbs' team couching themselves in Brooklyn merchandise would mitigate all the bungling, lying, and disappointment involved with the Atlantic Yards project.

Memories fade. In three years, nobody will remember. Staying with the Dodgers, does anybody remember the shameful circumstances of Dodger Stadium's creation?

Other than Ry Cooder, I guess not, though I can see it being dredged up again now we're acting like the Los Angeles Dodgers are the worst thing ever to happen to sports.

The idea of having an outlet for local pride besides the ghost of the baseball team that left almost 50 years ago, something to puff our chests out about, something (else) to be better than Manhattan at. It may all be marketing to the rest of the world (and, undoubtedly, it's a whole lot of marketing here too), but it'd seem like the last, and perhaps greatest, undelivered promise of all if Brooklyn got New York City's second team instead of Brooklyn's Team.

Problem with that is that most of Brooklyn are Knicks fans, and the Knicks have a much better future and present, not great conditions for somebody to switch teams. I doubt all the Brooklyn Pride is going to make more than 40% of the fanbase to switch. Brooklyn is practically Anaheim, except that it actually has local culture and flavor and isn't a suburb. The Nets being "New Jersey's team" hasn't kept them from being New York's second team, and they'll still be NY's second team when they switch to Brooklyn.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

And, I mean, the Knicks. That's a hard allegiance to shake. If you stuck with them through the Isiah Thomas reign of terror, all the Jay-Z in the world probably isn't going to convert you. It's like the Kings siphoning off Clippers fans, if the Clippers were cool and good once.

Archived