How much to charge for a school logo

ucla31

Just curious how much someone would charge for a new logo for a school? I have a meeting with the an athletic director at my school (ball state university) to look over my logo concept. I'm not sure how much they're really pursuing to get a new look (even though they need one badly) or if they'll even use mine, but just getting this opportunity made me think about it. I mean, say they did want it...how much should I expect? I mean, it is a division I school lol

If you were worried about this then you should have given the board more time.

That said, if there was not RFP for a design given, then it probably will not be used. Have your designs watermarked so that the A.D. cannot take your concept and tell professionals in a future RFP on some elements which he (or a committee) may want.

yea i understand. I honestly didn't know I was having this meeting until this morning so it was pretty short notice for myself. My friend who works for them and does promotions for all athletic events told me they have been looking for a new logo. She mentioned that they had already hired professionals to give it a shot but weren't really fond of their concepts i guess. We'll see, I'm not really sure what to expect but my original question was just something i was wondering in general, not necessarily just for my case. Someone had asked me and I really didn't know what to tell him.

and yes, I'll make sure to watermark it just in case

Thanks!

yea i understand. I honestly didn't know I was having this meeting until this morning so it was pretty short notice for myself. My friend who works for them and does promotions for all athletic events told me they have been looking for a new logo. She mentioned that they had already hired professionals to give it a shot but weren't really fond of their concepts i guess. We'll see, I'm not really sure what to expect but my original question was just something i was wondering in general, not necessarily just for my case. Someone had asked me and I really didn't know what to tell him.

and yes, I'll make sure to watermark it just in case

Thanks!

If she claims that they had professionals already in the process, then there is a price already set by them and there was a RFP or at least a ROI. Also remember going into it that the AD only has a certain threshold which s/he can authorize payment for without approval from Business Affairs.

With news of your school's budget cuts, they may try to do this on the cheap. And when the self-study addressed many issues dealing with NCAA compliance, the AD and their staff has more to do than this.

Good luck. They definitely do need an upgrade. I can't tell you how many better Cardinal designs I've seen on these boards over the years.

It's not likely that the AD will look at your art and say "I want that right now! How much you want for it?" If he does like it it will go into a committee for a while. You'll have time to gather some more information about the subject.

Hate to hijack a thread, but it seems the meeting will be soon anyways. I am a booster of my high school and one of my biggest problems has been the absolute lack of consistent branding. My school consistently puts out quality athletic teams, athletes and scholars and I would love to have a consistent look and, more specifically, logo. Our mascot is a jaguar, so of course some teams/clubs use the NFL logo, but there are multiple other ones.

Where would I go to look for someone to design something that could be used by all parts of the school and approximately how much would something like that cost?

I think you have to take two things into account. Their budget and your experience.

If you are going in with this being yoru first piece saying I want 10,000 its not going to fly. They are D1 and prob have a decent amount allotted. You also have to figure if they do select you it will take months to get it right and passed so thats time out of your schedule.

I have done a few colleges and conference logos and each is different in what they want. Ask alot of questions.

Archived