Old logos that are better than their current

JohnnySeoul

winnipeg_jets_1992.gif

This, compared to whatever modernized piece or crap they come up with. That is, if Winnipeg gets their team back.

They've gotten a team back, and hit their aim for selling 13,000 season tickets ..... When is Great North gonna announce the name the team? They already know, I'm convinced of that.

I'm in agreement with all who wanna name 'em the JETS .... but if they do my money is on them tweaking that logo even if it's the most minor tweak, just to sell extra team apparel. At the rally I saw just too many people of present and prior generations up there wearing the old style jerseys and they didn't look like they've been just sitting on a shelf for 15 years.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you guys are letting nostalgia, to influence your opinions as today most of the logos are much better than in the past

I agree. I tried not to, because I know the tendency to think a logo is better just because it brings back good memories or something similar is tempting.

For the Lightning I know the old logo is better than the current/new one. But alot of new ones are much better.

2ly2w09.jpg

ccchat_nhl.png

Now why would LA's original home & away jersey logos not be on that chart? lost.gif

I guess he likes that Gretzky-era one best ...

la-kings_orig_logos.png

I'm an impartial SABRES fan who lives in Southern Cal, and when they switched to the silver and black when Gretzky came in '88 the logo looked too much like the Chevrolet logo to me.

I too think the KINGS belong in purple ... or as Jack Kent Cooke demanded it be called, 'Forum Blue'

T'was nice seeing them use it this past season, although I only remember seeing them wear them once, think it was against the CANUCKS. The NHL seems very laxed about teams having more than 1 alternate.

I view their current crown logo as their best logo ever, so I wouldn't say their old one is better than their current. All those who feel they belong in purple I too believe that. If they wanted to differentiate themselves from the LAKERS the new purple they've been using since the late 90s is a great color, very rare too, but the home version has way too much black in it. The away white with the purple they got it just right ... IMO

Did someone mention in an earlier post that the KINGS changing uniforms n logo yet again for '11/'12 ??

Tampa Bay's new logo is the perfect example of making a change just to sell more team apparel. That logo looks like a spinoff from a Gatorade logo.

old_gatorade.png

I think the Cavs' new logo is alright, but I liked the simplicity and creativity in the older neon blue and orange one.

Also, while I hate the Penguins almost as much as I do the Steelers, their dove logo was light years ahead of the steroid penguin they're using now.

Finally, even though the current Caps logo is similar to their first one I like that one better. Probably because of my OCD.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

winnipeg_jets_1992.gif

This, compared to whatever modernized piece or crap they come up with. That is, if Winnipeg gets their team back.

They've gotten a team back, and hit their aim for selling 13,000 season tickets ..... When is Great North gonna announce the name the team? They already know, I'm convinced of that.

I'm in agreement with all who wanna name 'em the JETS .... but if they do my money is on them tweaking that logo even if it's the most minor tweak, just to sell extra team apparel. At the rally I saw just too many people of present and prior generations up there wearing the old style jerseys and they didn't look like they've been just sitting on a shelf for 15 years.

That post was made well before the Thrashers ever decided that they'd relocate to Winnipeg. And while I'm not against them modernizing their looks, I'm simply against them coming up with a new/fresh identity that the fans don't want. There's nothing more annoying than an owner like Bob Johnson or the Gunds who asks the fans for their opinion (Dragons over Bobcats, Blades over Sharks), only to change it to what they wanted in the end. It's a total dick-move.

I mean imagine if you wanted to go out to eat with your girlfriend and she asked you where you wanted to go, and then after stating where you wanted to go out to eat, she made the decision for you. No, :censored: you. Don't act like you value my opinion when you clearly don't. That's one way to start out on bad footing with your fanbase.

winnipeg_jets_1992.gif

That post was made well before the Thrashers ever decided that they'd relocate to Winnipeg. And while I'm not against them modernizing their looks, I'm simply against them coming up with a new/fresh identity that the fans don't want. There's nothing more annoying than an owner like Bob Johnson or the Gunds who asks the fans for their opinion (Dragons over Bobcats, Blades over Sharks), only to change it to what they wanted in the end. It's a total dick-move.

I mean imagine if you wanted to go out to eat with your girlfriend and she asked you where you wanted to go, and then after stating where you wanted to go out to eat, she made the decision for you. No, :censored: you. Don't act like you value my opinion when you clearly don't. That's one way to start out on bad footing with your fanbase.

Exactly. I understand trying to start a new path but the fans are going to buy Jets stuff no matter what you put on the ice.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

NFLRetro.jpg

How is the steelers one different?

Really going out on a limb with some of those. Miami, the Saints, Cleveland, Arizona, Detroit, and San Francisco. The new ones are just updates and are basically the same idea only updated. I don't agree with Seattle. What is wrong with his eye? I always hated the creamsicle Bucs and the old Falcons is just an eyesore. The eagles one is outdated. I agree with New England and the Jets.

sport-scarf_reds_zpsbb317600.png

[obnoxious C2CAM pic]

How is the steelers one different?

Really going out on a limb with some of those. Miami, the Saints, Cleveland, Arizona, Detroit, and San Francisco. The new ones are just updates and are basically the same idea only updated. I don't agree with Seattle. What is wrong with his eye? I always hated the creamsicle Bucs and the old Falcons is just an eyesore. The eagles one is outdated. I agree with New England and the Jets.

whose to say that's what i prefer?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I really do find these threads hilarious, because refuse to accept that liking most of these old, way-too-trendy, at times childish logos is different from them being *better* branding tools than the team's modern logo. The prancing Christmas Milwaukee Buck? Really?

If those teams had those logos today people would beg for an update. Some are much better from a design standpoint, but for the most part? Is that Tampa Bay Devil Rays logo with the goddamn teal-to-green-to-yellow gradient really better than a clean baseball diamond with the team's name it? And I think the new Rays logo stinks. It's boring and uninteresting. But it's a lot better than a trendy 90's gradient. I've seen ten-year-olds with more restraint in photoshop than the designer of that old Devil Rays logo.

Look, I love Pat the Patriot. It's my *favorite* logo. However, if the Patriots tried to wear that thing full time, it'd be embarrassing. It's an over detailed colonial guy snapping a football. With a pedophile's grin. It's creepy 70's logo trash. But I love it.

People really need to be able to see the difference between logo that is a really interesting, compelling, and amazingly vintage work of sports culture . . . and a logo that has to represent your brand and sell millions shirts, jerseys, tickets, etc. to your target demo. Think the fans of the Bucks would be selling the joint out every night to look at that Christmas Buck spinnin' a basketball on it's finger at center court?

I really do find these threads hilarious, because refuse to accept that liking most of these old, way-too-trendy, at times childish logos is different from them being *better* branding tools than the team's modern logo. The prancing Christmas Milwaukee Buck? Really?

If those teams had those logos today people would beg for an update. Some are much better from a design standpoint, but for the most part? Is that Tampa Bay Devil Rays logo with the goddamn teal-to-green-to-yellow gradient really better than a clean baseball diamond with the team's name it? And I think the new Rays logo stinks. It's boring and uninteresting. But it's a lot better than a trendy 90's gradient. I've seen ten-year-olds with more restraint in photoshop than the designer of that old Devil Rays logo.

Look, I love Pat the Patriot. It's my *favorite* logo. However, if the Patriots tried to wear that thing full time, it'd be embarrassing. It's an over detailed colonial guy snapping a football. With a pedophile's grin. It's creepy 70's logo trash. But I love it.

People really need to be able to see the difference between logo that is a really interesting, compelling, and amazingly vintage work of sports culture . . . and a logo that has to represent your brand and sell millions shirts, jerseys, tickets, etc. to your target demo. Think the fans of the Bucks would be selling the joint out every night to look at that Christmas Buck spinnin' a basketball on it's finger at center court?

But this is all opinion anyway, isn't it? I could come right back at you and berate you for liking current logos just because they are currently used and therefore supposedly the best logo that team has.

The Rays logo is boring and bland. People have been saying that since it came out. So it's no surprise that some people like the older logos better.

"Think the fans of the Bucks would be selling the joint out every night to look at that Christmas Buck spinnin' a basketball on it's finger at center court?"

Well, are they selling the "joint" out every night with their current logo?

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I was just throwing some old logos out there, they weren't my personal picks.

On that note, I think the Cavs logo from the 90's was by far their best. It was smooth, streamlined, and way ahead of its time. Those colors and design would def work in the 2010's era and Nike would have a field day designing shoes with that look.

faemq40pf86689pq4z8550l5i.gif

Always hated that logo and that color scheme. The Cavaliers are the "Cavaliers", not the "CAVS". When they went to the "CAVS" in the early 80's, it was always a mistake. Second of all, the franchise is known by thier unique "wine and gold" scheme, even if it comes in various versions. They were born with it in the early 70's and thankfully brought it back right when the "Lebron era" began in 03. Thirdly, a ball crashing thru a net is not exactly ground breaking stuff.

The logo sucks, the unis sucked in that era and the color scheme, while some may think its cool, never sat well with the fan base and was never a good fit for the franchise.

Whatever they are wearing now is head and shoulders above anything they wore during the orange and blue "CAVS" era or the mauve and black "CAVS" era.

Archived