Rate 'em: NBA

srj34

I think if they used the yellow as an outline color, that would've been a nice 'Nola' touch, but they have almost turned it into their primary and it doesn't look good next to teal when it's that dominate. I love when a team takes on the city's image, but there should be a limit. Teal and Purple as the primary with a touch of yellow (maybe outlining the numbers) works alot better in my opinion. It's still a shame they moved. The Hornets logo will forever be Charlotte in my eyes.

How do you figure that? They have a yellow alternate uni that is worn much less than the others. Most of the merchandise sold for the team is predominantly "Creole Blue" with purple and yellow accents. By no means is the yellow almost their primary.

And as far as teal being close enough to the green? Not at all. Not even close.

gYH2mW9.png

I think if they used the yellow as an outline color, that would've been a nice 'Nola' touch, but they have almost turned it into their primary and it doesn't look good next to teal when it's that dominate. I love when a team takes on the city's image, but there should be a limit. Teal and Purple as the primary with a touch of yellow (maybe outlining the numbers) works alot better in my opinion. It's still a shame they moved. The Hornets logo will forever be Charlotte in my eyes.

How do you figure that? They have a yellow alternate uni that is worn much less than the others. Most of the merchandise sold for the team is predominantly "Creole Blue" with purple and yellow accents. By no means is the yellow almost their primary.

I've seen pretty of Hornets yellow merchandise. All I'm saying is that the yellow should be kept to a minuimum and def the color of a uniform (even if its an alternate). Purple and Teal are a great combination, IMO. Maybe we just agree to disagree over the yellow. It's all good.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

First of all, let me explain my criteria behind my rankings. I take into account the attractiveness of the color scheme, attractiveness of the font, attractiveness of the logos, attractiveness of the uniforms, uniformity and consistency of identity, uniqueness of color scheme, uniqueness of uniform design, and usage of alternate logos. Those criteria in place. . .

1- Hornets

2- Cavs

3- Magic

4- Warriors

5- Nuggets

6- Lakers

7- Spurs

8- Jazz

9- Kings

10- Hawks

11- Heat

12- Bobcats

13- Blazers

14- Pistons

15- Nets

16- Wizards

17- Rockets

18- T'Wolves

19- Grizzlies

20- Raptors

21- Bucks

22- Celtics

23- Clippers

24- Mavericks

25- Knicks

26- Pacers

27- Bulls

28- Suns

29- Sixers

30- Thunder

ujsignature.png

Here's my list. As you can see I tend to favor simple and classic looks that still manage to look unique and interesting. I'm a big fan of identities that combine simplicity and style. I think that is very hard to do. I am also a big non-fan of identities that over-complicate things and still look terrible.

The Lakers would be higher, but I've really grown annoyed of their extra-wide side-panels. They make the uniform look dated and clownish IMO.

I've also split my list into sub-groups.

The Great...

1. Heat

2. Celtics

3. Bulls

4. Pistons

5. Blazers

6. Jazz

7. Raptors

8. Cavaliers

9. Hawks

The Good...

10. Bobcats

11. Pacers

12. Grizzlies

13. Bucks

14. Knicks

15. Lakers

16. Magic

17. Spurs

The Bad...

18. Clippers

19. Nuggets

20. Thunder

The Ugly...

21. Wizards

22. Mavericks

23. Rockets

24. Hornets

25. Kings

26. Nets

27. Suns

28. Sixers

29. Warriors

30. Timberwolves

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Alright, I guess I should go back to the topic. Wasn't meaning to beat up on the OP... it's just, you have very (let's say) unpopular choices. That's all.

And I gotta say, there really aren't alot of NBA uniforms I DON'T like. So my list may be somewhat questionable as well, so, here it is, from worst to best:

30. Oklahoma City - because their unis (and logo) seem very uninspired, reminds me of Wonder Bread...

29. Washington - GO BACK TO THE BULLETS! The PC police shouldn't win ALL the time.

28. Sacramento - My beef with these are just the big triangles on the sides. Just don't feel it. May change when they move.

27. Memphis - I may be in the minority when I say they should go back to the Teal/Red/Black combo.

- The rest of these, I either like or 'kind of' like. Just filling the list. -

26. New Orleans - I like the flur-de-bee. If they move, move 'em to St. Louis so they can keep it.

25. Phoenix - I wish they'd go to Red and Tan (or some sort of sandy color). I think it fits better than purple.

24. Minnesota - Don't know about you, but they lost a few points to me when they changed to silver trees instead of green.

23. Cleveland - I understand you wanna distance yourself from the "LeBron Era Jerseys" but still.... That was a modern classic.

22. Golden State - My only gripe is the logo.... needs some tweekin'.

21. Utah - I liked the Dark blue/Light Blue combo. That's right, I SAID IT.

20. New Jersey - It's the aways for me.

19. Houston - I have a thread here where I added yellow to their uniforms. Most liked it, and I would to if it happend.

18. Milwaukee - The Christmas colors are very uniqe. Just fix the wordmark....

17. Charlotte - A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER than their first unis.

16. Indiana - Addition of silver to a blue/yellow just like the Buffalo Sabres. Only Indiana didn't :censored: up their logo.

15. Toronto - Points for goin' Canadian (red with NO purple)

14. Dallas - I really, REALLY hated them ditching the Green alts.

13. Philly - Classic look/modern twist. Great in my book.

12. Orlando - Points for Modern unis with pinstripes. Nice touch.

11. Denver - Probably the best Dark blue/Light blue/Yellow combo in sports.

10. Portland - Nice "sash".

9. New York - There are three teams in the Association with Blue and Orange. This is hands down the best of 'em.

8. L.A.C - Love the script 'Clippers'.

7. Atlanta - Most miss the "Pacman" era unis. There's no beating a classic, but these are the best "moderns".

6. Detroit - The only thing I hate is that damn 'DP' on the shorts. Makes me think of South Park. Bring back the horse...

5. Miami - Best shades of Red/Yellow/Black. The alternates are tops.

4. L.A.L - I hate the team more than anything, but you can't beat these.

3. San Antonio - Yo, Al... Your Raiders aren't the only ones who look good in Black and Silver.

2. Chicago - this city has the best in the NHL, second best in the NBA. Pure classics.

1. Celtics - For as simple as they are, ya just can't beat 'em...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

After doing an excel with the items logo1, logo2, colors, home uni, away uni and alternate uni here're my results. In case of missing and item I simply get the total result and translated into the same base as the others:

1- New Orleans Hornets (excellent identity, not surprised)

2- Memphis Grizzlies (they also got a nice logo package and the uniforms look sharp, much less since the lose of the stroke inline on the numbers)

3- Denver Nuggets (original and nice identity)

4- Chicago Bulls (timeless classic, enough said)

5- New York Knicks (apart from a boring primary logo they've got a solid identity)

6- Miami Heat (not a top in any category but a B+ in all items)

7- Portland Trail Blazers (close to being a timeless classic, solid, original and unique)

8- Milwaukee Bucks (the same as Miami, the classic-red and the return to the christmas color were good moves)

9- Toronto Raptors (apart from an outdated primary logo, their identity is pretty solid)

10- Indiana Pacers (shame logos, if not they will be among the best on my standings)

11- Charlotte Bobcats (the secondary logo and the away uniform are the keys of their eleventh position)

12- Atlanta Hawks (Nique era inspiration -but modern- will put them on the top)

13- Cleveland Cavaliers (if not for the logo they'll be so much lower)

14- Los Angeles Lakers (regular in every aspect but nothing great)

15- Boston Celtics (same as Lakers, timeless classic)

16- Dallas Mavericks (they miss the green train and i really don't like their new away uni)

17- Golden State Warriors (their identity is unique and solid. I really don't know why it's not growing on me...)

18- Phoenix Suns (Y U NO GET RID OF THE GREY)

19- San Antonio Spurs (solid but very very boring)

20- Orlando Magic (I really don't understand how they ended that low. The logo is horrible as hell but their uniforms are pretty nice)

21- Detroit Pistons (nice move back to the Bad Boy era, but boring logo)

22- Houston Rockets (their logo and the McDonald's unis doesn't deserve to be ranked higher)

23- Sacramento Kings (another WNBA move by a team which really needs to get a solid identity)

24- Washington Wizards (their colors are nice, and they're changing to the RWB madness and, hopefully, getting a new Bullets-esque uniforms)

25- Minnesota Timberwolves (the secondary logo save their case, horrible move on getting rid of the green)

26- Utah Jazz (the mountain logo with the J-Note makes no sense, and I'm not even discussing the New Orleans logos in Utah... Moving backwards always sucks)

27- New Jersey Nets (in really need of a Brooklyn new identity)

28- Oklahoma City Thunder (be quickly before Kevin Durant and company win a title in that horrible fashion)

29- Los Angeles Clippers (they missed the boat of a decent redesign, and the wordmarks are so down-low on the jersey. What a shame of a franchise)

30- Philadelphia 76ers (the unis' are nice, but their logo abomination return is really a bad move)

1. Utah Jazz - Awesome color scheme, awesome jerseys. Dark navy, dark green, and athletic gold all work really well together.

2. Los Angeles Lakers - What's there to say really? Could do without the white alternate though.

3. Dallas Mavericks - Wish they'd have added the royal blues as an alt (in place of those stupid Diddy uniforms), and kept the navy away. But still a rock solid set.

4. Portland Trail Blazers - This one's always jumped out at me. Don't know why. I just think the reds should be primary and the blacks the alternates.

5. Miami Heat - The shimmer these uniforms had before adidas took over was awesome. The black looks better now, but that's about it. Still excellent looking uniforms and a ridiculously simple yet effective logo.

6. Detroit Pistons - Always loved this look. One of the few teams I'd keep in red, white and blue. The primary logo is nothing short of awesome. Simple, but the white between the red and blue on the primary logo gives the impression that the red basketball is glowing. Always enjoyed that.

7. Cleveland Cavaliers - These are really cool.

8. Toronto Raptors - Not much to single out about this. It all works really well. I think the black should be tinkered with though, reverse the script outlines, so that the numbers and 'toronto' are red outlined in silver.

9. San Antonio Spurs - Silver alternates? Please? Oh and wtf is that v-neck trash.

10. Boston Celtics - Before the mesh fabric business, would've been ranked higher. But now the home jersey looks like garbage with that ginormous Celtics script and the slightly tealish tint the green has now (in the garden at least).

11. Sacramento Kings - The logo and color scheme is great. The uniforms are pretty decent, although the previous two were much, much better. The tacky side piping is what ruins it. I like that they went with Sacramento on the home and Kings on the way. I also have no legibility problems with them, and my eyesight kinda blows.

12. Orlando Magic - The blacks are back, come on. Also, I don't care if it didn't match, the previous primary was so much better than this one.

13. Atlanta Hawks - The ATL jersey is one of the best in the game, as is the alternate 'angry bird' logo.

14. Chicago Bulls - Lose the black alts. And how about some alternate logos?

15. Phoenix Suns - Meh. These have run their course IMO.

16. New York Knicks - This is the NY team that needs to ditch black. I really don't mind it on the Mets, but it just doesn't work here.

17. Houston Rockets - The numbers they're using now look so bad. Previous ones were way better. Also, same-color alternates are crap.

18. Denver Nuggets - Change the whole set to match the design on the alt navy.

19. Golden State Warriors - Cool colors, cool logos, but god those uniforms suck.

20. New Orleans Hornets - Don't know what to say, they just don't do it for me.

21. Los Angeles Clippers - The previous set was actually pretty good, it was just tied to a perennial loser, lessening its appeal. This set, not so much.

22. Washington Wizards - Goofy logo, awful name, cool color scheme, boring uniforms.

23. Philadelphia 76ers - The logo and color scheme are good. But how the hell do you take classic, awesome looking uniforms and 'update' them into these monstrosities? Please tell me heads rolled for that.

24. Memphis Grizzlies - The script is silly, the numbers are stupid, the logo is a :censored:ing joke, and the colors just put me to sleep. That piece of crap alternate isn't helping.

25. New Jersey Nets - The reds were bad to begin with, but those awful v-necks...

26. Milwaukee Bucks - What an eyesore of a set. I mean all of it. The purple and green was cool, who cares if it had nothing to do with bucks or deer or whatever.

27. Oklahoma City Thunder - Think this has been done to death.

28. Indiana Pacers - I'd be more forgiving of them abandoning the pinstripes, if this current set wasn't so damn awful.

29. Minnesota Timberwolves - When will they see sense and give themselves a complete overhaul, to dark green, silver, and black, with blue reduced to an accent color at the absolute most?

30. Charlotte Bobcats - This entire identity has been complete trash from day one.

I've seen pretty of Hornets yellow merchandise. All I'm saying is that the yellow should be kept to a minuimum and def the color of a uniform (even if its an alternate). Purple and Teal are a great combination, IMO. Maybe we just agree to disagree over the yellow. It's all good.

Let's all keep in mind that the Hornets don't wear Teal anymore...it's a Light Blue...no Green or Yellow to speak of in the new color:

NewOrleansHornetsTeal_2008_SOL_SRGB.png <---> NewOrleansHornetsBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Let's all keep in mind that the Hornets don't wear Teal anymore...it's a Light Blue...no Green or Yellow to speak of in the new color.

What a tragedy. Hornets used to have the greatest logo, colors, and uniforms in the NBA back in Charlotte (with the exception of their horrible purple alternates). I was really hoping New Orleans would've changed the team name and logo with the move. I wonder what colors they will have in their next city.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

That Creole Blue is a beautiful color, and works really well in concert with the rest of their color scheme. Why all the hate?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That Creole Blue is a beautiful color, and works really well in concert with the rest of their color scheme. Why all the hate?

Not really hate, more disappointed. The Charlotte Hornets colors, logo, and uni's were the best at the time. If New Orleans wanted to get away from that, they should've changed the name and logo too....just doesn't seem right. Hey, this is just my opinion.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Not really hate, more disappointed. The Charlotte Hornets colors, logo, and uni's were the best at the time. If New Orleans wanted to get away from that, they should've changed the name and logo too....just doesn't seem right. Hey, this is just my opinion.

Most of us down here would agree with that. Of course, most of us wanted the "Jazz" name back which definitely wasn't going to happen. It was Shinn's decision while he still owned the team. My guess is that it didn't cost nearly as much to just change the name to "New Orleans Hornets" initially instead of coming up with a completely new identity.

And don't get me wrong, I think that the teal & purple and creole blue & purple schemes do work well together. I also think that the addition of yellow as a third color was a good decision. But what frustrates most of the people here is that they know the yellow was added to get the team closer to the Mardi Gras look...but they just won't finish it off with the change from blue to green.

gYH2mW9.png

Just matching Mardi Gras colors seems like it'd be the lazy way out, though. The combo they're using now hints at it without using it as a crutch.

Plus, again, that Creole Blue color is fantastic.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Just matching Mardi Gras colors seems like it'd be the lazy way out, though. The combo they're using now hints at it without using it as a crutch.

I disagree. Even though its an obvious color-combination for a team in New Orleans, the fans here love it. I think these unis are great.

mardigras.png

gYH2mW9.png

I disagree. Even though its an obvious color-combination for a team in New Orleans, the fans here love it. I think these unis are great.

mardigras.png

I must admit, I love that Mardi Gras uni....def should be their primary. And yea, I think it's complete laziness when a team doesn't changed names when it no longer fits (i.e Lakers and Jazz). At least the North Stars switched to Stars after their move to Dallas.

Imagine....the Las Vegas Dolphins. haha

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Let's all keep in mind that the Hornets don't wear Teal anymore...it's a Light Blue...no Green or Yellow to speak of in the new color.

What a tragedy. Hornets used to have the greatest logo, colors, and uniforms in the NBA back in Charlotte (with the exception of their horrible purple alternates). I was really hoping New Orleans would've changed the team name and logo with the move. I wonder what colors they will have in their next city.

You seem fairly certain the Hornets are moving.. do you have any inside information you would like to share with the rest of us?

You seem fairly certain the Hornets are moving.. do you have any inside information you would like to share with the rest of us?

Economy and history. My prediction is that unfortunately, New Orleans will be without a NBA team (again) within 10 yrs. I love the city and the people, but for some reason, all of their teams struggle to make money. Even the Saints threatened to moved on at least 2 occasions in the 90's. This is one prediction that I hope I'm dead wrong about.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

mardigras.png

I agree with you. I love the Mardi Gras look and I don't think it's lazy as well. It's an identity that I wish the Hornets would fully embrace. Anyone would be able to see those colors and immediately be able to associate that team with New Orleans. Hornets, just go with green, purple, and gold/yellow. It would be a fantastic look.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived