Lowell Lock Monsters

chickenfish13

Hey Guys.

Not sure where the need to do this concept came from, but I suddenly decided I wanted to update the old Lock Monsters logo. I tried to modernize it and make him a little more fierce, although not too angry or anything. I'm fairly happy with the Monster, but I'm a little stuck on the text. I kind of like the font I chose, but it's very problematic when it comes to adding strokes and things too, as it wasn't very well built. Also, with the name being long, I think the Lowell and Lock part kind of look tacked on.

I'd like to hear what you guys think, and how you think I should arrange the text. Thanks for viewing.

lockmonsters.png

I think the Monsters becomes a bit jumbled at the N. The letters aren't in line with each other after that point. The ERS is in line just the NST seem to kind of muck up the middle of the design. I think if all the letters sat on the same line it would work better.

I like the work you did on the monster.

Feels like there's too much black space. Here's the old one in comparison.

2151.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

It looks like the tip of the nose should come down and to the right. I realize yours is very close to the old logo, but the nose in that logo looks off too. I also think the text has too much going on. The jumbled look commands too much attention and takes the spotlight away from the animal rendering.

ok, here's a quick little update. Bohob, I tried to do what you said about the nose although I'm not too sure if I got it. I've got 2 options right now, and personally I'm leaning towards number 2. What do you guys think? Also, I'm not sure about the belly stripes, I had them as more kind of swooshes that didn't go all the way through but it didn't look right.

Option 1

lowellopt1.png

Option 2

lowellopt2.png

Move Lowell above Lock Monsters. A lot of people try this treatment at logos and it reads awkward to me. They're not the Lock Monsters Lowell. The "of" is not really implied. They're the Lowell Lock Monsters.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This is one of those logos that is a challenge to remake and I think you did pretty well. I like the first version of the words better when it said MONSTERS across the bottom and LOCK above it. Maybe have LOCK extend from end to end on each side of the triangle above MONSTERS. The newest version is way too long and the words dont fit over the logo. I like the idea of having the letters somewhat off, but on your first version, they shouldve been more off like you said, or not at all. I dont like the W in LOWELL. It looks hand drawn at the middle point. I also think LOWELL would look better inside the black triangle in the top right corner rather than outside. There appears to be room for it there. Also maybe adding some red or some motion to the bottom of the triangle where there is just empty black space. I think maybe the hint of some swirling water would look nice or anything really. Just an an idea.

I know that's a lot I wrote, but I think this is close to being there and a few changes would make give it a nice finish.

Nice update on this logo. I prefer option 1 because the zig zag shape on the top of the head is more visible. I like jaha's idea of trying the Lowell inside the triangle. I don't like the belly stripes, they seem like they are unnecessary. It would look cool to have the monster's hands on the wordmark and making it look like he's destroying it, like a building. I bet this logo would look great on a jersey without any wordmarks.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Thanks bohob and slapshot, I'll work on moving the text around.

This is one of those logos that is a challenge to remake and I think you did pretty well. I like the first version of the words better when it said MONSTERS across the bottom and LOCK above it. Maybe have LOCK extend from end to end on each side of the triangle above MONSTERS. The newest version is way too long and the words dont fit over the logo. I like the idea of having the letters somewhat off, but on your first version, they shouldve been more off like you said, or not at all. I dont like the W in LOWELL. It looks hand drawn at the middle point. I also think LOWELL would look better inside the black triangle in the top right corner rather than outside. There appears to be room for it there. Also maybe adding some red or some motion to the bottom of the triangle where there is just empty black space. I think maybe the hint of some swirling water would look nice or anything really. Just an an idea.

I know that's a lot I wrote, but I think this is close to being there and a few changes would make give it a nice finish.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to give some of that a shot. I thought of the swirling water actually, kind of similar to the San Jose Sharks fin logo, but thought it may look a little cluttered. I'll try it though.

Nice update but the first thing you should do is tell the lovely people of Lowell it's LOCH not lock. A Lock is something you put a key in. Trust me I'm from the land with the Original Loch Monster. ;)

9erssteve

I knew it ^_^ I thought it was Loch but didn't change anything because of how it was originally. Lock might have a double meaning, or they just didn't realize it :grin:

Nice update on this logo. I prefer option 1 because the zig zag shape on the top of the head is more visible. I like jaha's idea of trying the Lowell inside the triangle. I don't like the belly stripes, they seem like they are unnecessary. It would look cool to have the monster's hands on the wordmark and making it look like he's destroying it, like a building. I bet this logo would look great on a jersey without any wordmarks.

I thought of having the arms in their, but thought it might look a little awkward with how it would interact with the wordmark. I'll try it out though.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, hopefully I'll have an update later today or tomorrow.

Nice update but the first thing you should do is tell the lovely people of Lowell it's LOCH not lock. A Lock is something you put a key in. Trust me I'm from the land with the Original Loch Monster. ;)

9erssteve

A lock is also a device for raising and lowering boats between stretches of water of different levels in canals. Lowell is known for its canals. The Lock Monster was a play on words, it was not just a misspelling of "Loch".

Trust me, I'm from Lowell ;)

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Alright, I've got a couple quick updated ones. Different fonts for each. Honestly I'm not too sure about either, but I'm hoping you guys can pick out one that I can spend some more time on. I didn't add in arms or any highlights in the triangle, it would've been way to cluttered. What do you guys think, should I continue on with this, or work on a version that doesn't have a wordmark?

Option 3

lowellopt3.png

Option 4

lowellopt4.png

Option 4 is cool looking. I like the Monsters font. I also like how it's all haphazard. Lowell is too skinny. The font needs to be bolder. I know you're keeping the same color scheme that Lowell used but I bet this logo would really pop if that blue/purple color was lighter.

Keep it up.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Really liking the updates. Option #4 is the best. I like thw wordmark and the way the letters are all over the place. I think keeping the arms out was the best choice on your part. They would jist clutter it up.

The only thing I can see that bothers me is the LOWELL word. The W and E seem closer to each other than the other letters. Even though they are probablu equally spaced, since there is no serifs on the right side of the W & and left side of the E, they seem scrunched. But that's minor and I really like this. Great job.

9erssteve

A lock is also a device for raising and lowering boats between stretches of water of different levels in canals. Lowell is known for its canals. The Lock Monster was a play on words, it was not just a misspelling of "Loch".

Trust me, I'm from Lowell ;)

Yeah I know about canal locks but had no idea Lowell was a hotbed of canal action, what with my geography being so bad I doubt I'd be able to find it on a map and all. But now that I know that I think the name works really well. At first I'd just thought it was another americanisation of a british word like color for colour, but now you've given it context I quite like it. It's a clever little play on words. I like team names that have a bit of humor in them, I think it's a nice touch and works well for smaller league teams.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Amazing. Definitely an improvement from their original logo. I like the first one you made the best, it looks cleaner than the other ones. I would also add a hockey stick somewhere.

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

Archived