Boise St. WR Titus Young discusses colored fields in the NFL

DeFrank

When did you see the blue turf at Boise State and what was your first reaction?

TY: On my recruiting trip. And I was like, this is real. That was the first thing I thought. I was hoping that I could get adjusted and not focus on the color of the field. But it was just like any green field.

Does it give Boise a home-field advantage?

TY: Definitely. A lot of stuff in Boise is made for the home-field advantage. We have a couple of blue-outs so the fans wear all blue, the field?s blue and we have on blue jerseys so you kind of blend in on the field.

The NFL has outlawed teams from having a ?Smurf Turf,? but what kind of colored fields would you like to see?

TY: There should be a purple field in Baltimore, a green field in Philadelphia ?

But it is green ?

TY: Their green. Yellow in Pittsburgh. A Bengals? stripped field in Cincinnati would be a great invention.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought football stadiums are only supposed to be for EXPLOSIONS and FOOTBALL!

Please no colored fields. I can barely tolerate them at the NCAA level (Boise's meh, Eastern Washington good lord..) and there's no way I could stand them at the NFL level

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I thought football stadiums are only supposed to be for EXPLOSIONS and FOOTBALL!

Please no colored fields. I can barely tolerate them at the NCAA level (Boise's meh, Eastern Washington good lord..) and there's no way I could stand them at the NFL level

Everybody knows about this <_<

I wouldn't actually want it, but maybe there are ways to incorporate it. The Jets, Eagles, and Packers could do a darker green, while some teams could have colored numbers or sidelines.

potd 10/20/12

I personally wouldn't advocate any colored fields...HOWEVUH, one thing I would like to see some teams try is something akin to what the University of Cincinnati does...the yard numbers on their field are the same font as the ones on their jerseys. (Check this link here to see what I'm talking about.) I think that'd be a great way to add a little bit of team "individualism" to some home fields. (I could particularly see this working in Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Houston.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I personally wouldn't advocate any colored fields...HOWEVUH, one thing I would like to see some teams try is something akin to what the University of Cincinnati does...the yard numbers on their field are the same font as the ones on their jerseys. (Check this link here to see what I'm talking about.) I think that'd be a great way to add a little bit of team "individualism" to some home fields. (I could particularly see this working in Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Houston.)

That's exactly what I'm talking about! More secondary logos on the 25's etc.

potd 10/20/12

Isn't it either Auburn or LSU who has numbers every 5 yards as well?

Everybody knows about this <_<

I wouldn't actually want it, but maybe there are ways to incorporate it. The Jets, Eagles, and Packers could do a darker green, while some teams could have colored numbers or sidelines.

OK, now sidelines and numbers I can get on board with. That wouldn't be too crazy as long as you keep the sidelines by the end zones white

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Who thinks the Colts should use blue turf? Horse mascot, blue as main color, but unlike Boise, Colts play in a retractable roof stadium, could it be a good idea? :D

Personally I want to see this trend kept out of the NFL.

Wouldn't having a colored field lose it's "advantage" if everyone had a colored field?

Good, then people can stop getting all butthurt over how "unfair" it is.

Its not unfair... just really, really ugly.

That blue turf is one of the reasons Boise can't be taken seriously, regardless of their record.

Who thinks the Colts should use blue turf? Horse mascot, blue as main color, but unlike Boise, Colts play in a retractable roof stadium, could it be a good idea? :D

Personally I want to see this trend kept out of the NFL.

Oh Dear God...

...we agree on something. :blink:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

That blue turf is one of the reasons Boise can't be taken seriously, regardless of their record.

Okay, as long as you also don't take Oregon, Marshall, and Michigan State seriously for also using school-colored turf. It's gimmicky and they might blend in, you know. :rolleyes:

They don't use school-colored turf - they wear turf-colored uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived