Boise St. WR Titus Young discusses colored fields in the NFL

DeFrank

Difference is, Boise State - like any other school - cannot control the quality of their conference opponents. That's why they put forth an effort to play big names during their out-of-conference schedule, to compensate for how bad the rest of the WAC was.

However, the big-name schools I mentioned can absolutely control the strength of their out-of-conference schedules. With few exceptions, they just choose to buy guaranteed wins every fall to keep the boosters happy.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difference is, Boise State - like any other school - cannot control the quality of their conference opponents. That's why they put forth an effort to play big names during their out-of-conference schedule, to compensate for how bad the rest of the WAC was.

However, the big-name schools I mentioned can absolutely control the strength of their out-of-conference schedules. With few exceptions, they just choose to buy guaranteed wins every fall to keep the boosters happy.

So, SEC teams are to blame for only playing 7 or 8 teams tougher than anyone Boise plays instead of 12?
OldRomanSig2.jpg

You know, the NCAA should really learn from March Madness. I seriously couldn't care less about college basketball; didn't watch one minute of one game this season. Same is true of golf, NASCAR, whatever. But...I enjoy the drama in any sport when everything is on the line. So I'm all over the Final Four, usually watch at least some of big races like Daytona or the Indy 500, and will even watch golf if it's the Masters and it's close.

Anyway, back to the NCAA and the Final Four. What a story Butler is - again - and a football playoff would replace the zzzz's of the BCS bowl season with the excitement and anticipation of March Madness. I really, really don't understand why they don't come up with a football playoff. And if a Boise State wins their way to the final and beats whoever they face, good for them. They'd be the National Champions, weak schedule, blue turf and all.

Did you ever think that maybe the 64 team playoff is actually the reason you (and pretty much everyone else) has no interest in the NCAA regular basketball season? With 64 (sorry, 68) teams in, everyone even halfway decent will have their shot. You like "one and done"? Well, NCAA football is pretty much one long season of one and done.

One way to look at it... College football already has a playoff. Its called the regular season.

(Not that I agree 100% with how the BCS chooses the teams, but do I want to see something that devalues the meaning of all those regular season games? Nope.)

We're only a couple of years removed from having a National Champion with two losses. If the regular season is a one-and-done playoff, how is this possible? Games are still few enough that even the existence of a playoff won't kill enthusiasm for the regular season.

I don't think anyone is seriously proposing a 64 game playoff for Division IA. However the 2 team playoff we have now isn't very effective either. Now an 8 or 16 team field would let all of the really good teams who might have a reasonable claim for the MNC in while filtering out the fodder who only exist to create freak upsets and blow up brackets.

----------------------------

On topic: Colored fields don't belong in the NFL. Each NFL team should have sufficient notoriety on its own that it does not need cheap field color gimmicks to stand out.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Ole Miss play the same tough SEC schedule. Would you argue that they're better and more successful programs than Boise State, TCU, or Utah?

No, I didn't make that argument. But outside of sometimes Nevada and formerly Hawaii, every in-conference game Boise played was as much of a cakewalk as the big conference teams' OOC schedules. Whereas BSU plays 3 games tops per year which they have even the slightest chance of losing, SEC schools are going to have at least 8 such games plus a conference championship game.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You want the field to match the team colors? Have the teams in the northern states wear white at home during the latter part of the season. Problem solved.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

Its tough to believe the one and done argument when the last two years we ended the season with two teams without a loss and in 2009 and 2007 the only teams to end the season without a loss was not the National Champion.

I completely understand with strength of schedule and such, but still....

zerakus_sports.png

People who can't objectively discuss logos on a logo board without going in to dumb unrelated sports arguments are big dummies.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived