Ralph Nader Protests Uniform Ads

Waffles

Ralph Nader, everybody's favorite washed-up public advocate, has a new target:

Nader calls Uniform Ads "Obscene"

First off, I'm all for this if it distracts from his self-indulgent presidential campaign and makes him look like the attention whore that he has become.

Second, I may be too young to remember (or know), but didn't he used to do meaningful public advocacy, like car safety and things like that?

I agree that ads on uniforms stink, but is it really Ralph Nader's battle to wage?

Well, doesn't he deserve the right to just write a letter to something he disagrees with? I mean, I've written letters to companies I disagree with. It's not like I'm boycotting them or anything.

I mean, it's not like its his fault it'll get published.

So, in conclusion, he's not turning this into a part issue or anything, he's just a fan writing a letter. It's just that this fan has a famous name.

I actually think this is a rather important battle ... with a much larger context that simply the one apparent here. This is but one small battle in a much larger war that Nader has been active in for quite some time.

The war is about polluting our environment with advertising ... we are already saturated with enormous amounts of advertisements ... over 120 percent more than we were just 25 years ago. This advertising surge has given corporate entities more power over policies of our lives (see 'public schools sponsored by corporations', see 'the FCC', see 'every 24 hours news network on television').

sidenote: I deeply respect Ralph Nader, and I believe the man is one of the most intelligent people currently in any kind of public spotlight. He needs to find a quality venue for him to voice his opinions and spread his observations on politics, the environment, economics, foreign policy, and everything else he excels at analyzing. I think hes using the presidential campaign as that venue, which is only going to push him further into the shadows, as people will just simply not want to take him seriously in that role anymore (see Dennis Kucinich). But I think the little things like this note, these are the things he has always done well ... gotten into the trenches and fought for any number of things that never seem to hit the mainstream consciousness of concern.

Good old Ralph Nader... good to see he's going strong following his excellent cameo appearance on Sesame Street when I was a kid. Because yes, a consumer advocate is a person in your neighborhood, in your neighborhood, in your neigh-bor-hood. A person that you meet each day.

Somebody shoot me.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but the only complaint I have against ads on uniforms is when they make the uniform look ugly. I'm probably in the minority here, but I really don't give a damn about advertising on sports uniforms as long as it doesn't make them look like billboards. I wasn't even aware of these ads on MLB uniforms... I'm watching the games for the games, and I've never even noticed the ads. Even on soccer jerseys where the company logo is plastered right there on the uniform... I never notice them, or when I do, I don't feel they take away from the jersey.

Whether it's the Staples Center, or a team brought to you by Sprite, or a school sponsored by any one... I really don't notice anything. I try not to look too deeply into anything of this sort... in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter IMO.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I wasn't even aware of these ads on MLB uniforms...

What ads on MLB uniforms?

What Nader was referring to was the RICOH patch on the Yankees and Devil Rays uniforms sleeves and helmets when they were in Japan. I don't mind advertising on billboards around the stadium or on the field/court/ice. But leave the uniforms alone. It was nice to see that the major North American teams don't have advertising on the uniforms (with the exception of the clothing manufacturers which I don't really mind)

I saw, I came, I left.

Folks, this is going to get worse. Once other leagues see how much $$$ the MLB is making, they will follow suit. As you know, sports teams are like lemmings...just look at the lack of originality in uniform colors....like the black-and-teal crazes of the last ten years or so.

I think it's deplorable. The Spiderman thing blurs the line between advertising in sports, a line which has become increasingly blurred over the years anyway. If they're going to allow that, what next?

Here's what will happen (these are announcer quotes):

1. Batting next is Budweiser FB Mark McGwire, and McGwire loves the refreshing, filling taste of Budweiser, after the game of course.

2. That 15-yard clipping penalty was brought to you by Poulan Weedeaters, when you really need to trim that yard good. :cursing:

3. And Marty McSorley will serve two minutes in the penalty box, which is not unlike the stifling tension of Phone Booth starring Colin Farrell, in theaters Friday.

4. And Kobe Bryant gets burned again, Pat. He needs some defensive help. He should call Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, lawyers who can put up a good defense against any accusation...something Kobe sure needs right now!

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

"And Kobe Bryant gets burned again, Pat. He needs some defensive help. He should call Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, lawyers who can put up a good defense against any accusation...something Kobe sure needs right now!"

That last line in my opinion was in very bad taste. Kobe has some personal problems right now, and we don't need to make fun of him at a time when he's in deep doo-doo with the law in Colorado.

I know the I'm going OT on the subject, but Blue Falcon crossed the line between good taste and opinion in that line above, and maybe NJTank or SyPhi should send him to the corner for a little time out, if you know what I'm speaking of.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

"And Kobe Bryant gets burned again, Pat. He needs some defensive help. He should call Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, lawyers who can put up a good defense against any accusation...something Kobe sure needs right now!"

That last line in my opinion was in very bad taste. Kobe has some personal problems right now, and we don't need to make fun of him at a time when he's in deep doo-doo with the law in Colorado.

I know the I'm going OT on the subject, but Blue Falcon crossed the line between good taste and opinion in that line above, and maybe NJTank or SyPhi should send him to the corner for a little time out, if you know what I'm speaking of.

I think the statement was perfectly reasonable. It was a joke and should be taken in that context.

Personally, I don't give a fluff about Kobe's feelings. So bash away.

motherfluff kobe bryant and his 'personal problems' that he got himself into.... he can kiss my ass.....anyone else accused and on trial for rape wouldn't be free and playing professional basketball, they would be sitting in a cell, waiting for the next day's court appearance.

goddamn bullplop!

oh yeah, funny joke....i liked it!

I think that placing the adds on the unis in Japan along with this new spiderman thing is a way of easing us into what they really want to do: Adds on the uniforms for all games, just like minor league hockey. I bet that MLB will probably not revenue share, but just leave each team on its own--the Yanks will earn about 10 times that of the Twins, increasing the income gap.

Although, maybe the Yanks (a team I hate) will not put the adds on--kudos to them for being somewhat resistant to this whole stupid spiderman thing.

And once MLB gets adds on their uniforms, NHL, NBA and NFL won't be far behind.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think the reason professional sports in other countries and soccer here have blatant advertising all across the uniforms is due to revenue. These sports don't make as much money as the top 4 over here, so any way to put money into the team is good for the owners and sponsors. In soccer, most of the European teams have small crests on the jerseys, but they aren't trendy simplified logos like we have over here in North America. So there is a lot of empty space on the kits for the sponsor to put its logo.

Minor league hockey has advertising, but they are small patches on the jersey and a small sticker on the helmets. And hockey is the only sport that has advertising in the field of play. On the dasher boards and on the ice. I've seen the ECHL level, andf the advertising there is more than the AHL. The whole face-off circles are Pepsi logos.

If you ever see Australian Rules football or rugby form overseas, some networks superimpose logos on the grass. Other stadius paint the logos in the grass, but they do it as such a skewed angle that the only way to read it correctly is form the press box or on TV.

I don't knowif NFL Europe has ads on the fields, but the players have sponsor patches on the shoulders and there are giant dasher boards behind the sidelines, similar to soccer.

Most of the leagues here have strict rules regarding advertising. These even cover the specific brand names of equipment and clothing. Most of them have said they don;t want to become NASCAR with 100% coverage of advertising. The leagues are about the TEAMS, not the advertising.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Minor league hockey has advertising, but they are small patches on the jersey and a small sticker on the helmets. And hockey is the only sport that has advertising in the field of play. On the dasher boards and on the ice. I've seen the ECHL level, andf the advertising there is more than the AHL. The whole face-off circles are Pepsi logos.

Ah, close. The CFL has massive ads on the field. Especially during the playoffs.

Archived