Pensacola Blue Wahoos

Burmy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously? OH I see what you did there.... did you chuckle to yourself when you posted that? Must feel good to try to make someone look like a scoob huh?

I was kidding there, big fella. It's just an odd name choice. Blue Wahoos would make a lot more sense if they were the Indians' affiliate and not, well, the Reds'.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Ugh. Pensacola sports manages to disappoint me again.

I guarantee the only reason that name won out was due to its connection to Pensacola's other notable Blue hallmark, the Blue Angels. Nothing more, nothing less. Add to that, wahoos aren't even all that common in that part of the Gulf. But, I guess it coulda been worse...they coulda picked Mullets, after all. Glad they didn't though.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

My guess is it is named after the fish called the Wahoo, which is blue in color and since Pensacola is near the ocean......

Except it's not. Pensacola is on the Gulf of Mexico. B)

Isn't the Gulf technically considered part of the Atlantic though?

My guess is it is named after the fish called the Wahoo, which is blue in color and since Pensacola is near the ocean......

Except it's not. Pensacola is on the Gulf of Mexico. B)

Isn't the Gulf technically considered part of the Atlantic though?

Probably. Buzzkill. B)

BB52Big.jpg

All of those nicknames are absolutely sh!*house, i can't stand how clubs use an adjective in their nicknames.

Salty Dogs, Sticky Nuts, etc.

I just happened upon this post now, and I demand that the next minor/independent league team to set up shop in the hot, humid nether regions of the Deep South adopt "Sticky Nuts" as its moniker. "Tallahassee Sticky Nuts" has a certain whimsical charm and ring of truth to it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 5 months later...
"The Blue Wahoos organization isn't going to be your typical ball club, and our logo isn't going to be typical either," said Blue Wahoos President Bruce Baldwin.

Oh, good. More minor league Ka-Raziness.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

"The Blue Wahoos organization isn't going to be your typical ball club, and our logo isn't going to be typical either," said Blue Wahoos President Bruce Baldwin.

I'll believe it when it happens.

BUT...since I'm 100% positive it won't (unless they pull the surprise of the century on me), I'll just say this: they need to quit.

I remember that same thing being said about my hometown's last baseball club, the Pelicans, and a similar announcement was made about the AF2's Barracudas--I didn't see it then, either.

Eh well, guess I'll see on Saturday morning just what those Wahoos done cooked up. I am willing to bet good money that the identity will be based around some combo of blue, yellow (gold), and green (the only three colors Pensacola minor pro sports ever seems to wanna use, save for that short red/black period of Ice Pilots history), with probably a bit of red thrown into a mix as a bone to the Reds. (And for those with a short memory, the first Ice Pilots identity included navy, yellow (gold), hunter green and garnet, so it wouldn't be the first time that combo of colors gets used.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

There's an old Led Zeppelin tour myth about seeing how a redheaded girl would like a fish in a certain place wherein the fish and the certain place have the same name. That's still the first thing that comes to mind when I think of red snappers. Such is my aversion to naming a team that.

If Seattle didn't already have the M's, you can bet that some smart-asses would throw that in as a suggestion, since that incident took place at the Edgewater Inn in Seattle in 1969.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I'll believe it when it happens.

BUT...since I'm 100% positive it won't (unless they pull the surprise of the century on me), I'll just say this: they need to quit.

I remember that same thing being said about my hometown's last baseball club, the Pelicans, and a similar announcement was made about the AF2's Barracudas--I didn't see it then, either.

Eh well, guess I'll see on Saturday morning just what those Wahoos done cooked up. I am willing to bet good money that the identity will be based around some combo of blue, yellow (gold), and green (the only three colors Pensacola minor pro sports ever seems to wanna use, save for that short red/black period of Ice Pilots history), with probably a bit of red thrown into a mix as a bone to the Reds. (And for those with a short memory, the first Ice Pilots identity included navy, yellow (gold), hunter green and garnet, so it wouldn't be the first time that combo of colors gets used.)

The Plan B, er Brandiose, guys have a sneak peak of it on The Clink Room.

Cards.png

Whoa, time out--Plan B. changed to "Brandiose"? When did that happen? (Or did I just miss it?)

From what I see of that grayscale image, this actually has potential to impress me. Nice to know the Wahoos (why do I keep thinking "Cleveland Indians" at the mention of their name?) at least cared enough to work with a reputable company to build their visual identity. That said, Imma wait 'til I see the whole thing before grading it.

Clever, unique identity. GREAT color scheme (that pink with the two blues is absolutely brilliant), and I love how the cap and alt logos form a "P". Brandiose drills another one out of the park.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

pensacolabluewahoos.jpg

pensacola2.jpg

pensacola3.jpg

Alright, Jason and Casey...now that I done seen this, it's time for my most honestest of honesty in assessment.

Wasn't really feeling the fish hook thing with the primary logo at first, until I realized the line was "snapped", evoking A "Y'ALL AIN'T FINNA CATCH ME!!!" feel. I like that. That said, I am seeing a difference in the two fishes (sp?)...one has an open mouth, the other closed. That actually bugs me a good bit. The other thing that bugs me is the script in that first logo...doesn't really match the cleanliness and smoothness of the logos themselves--but then, maybe that was something the team wanted (?)--this is minor league baseball, after all, so it'd make sense. I'm really loving that P-hook logo...a lot. I think I actually prefer it to the fish + bat "P" logo, which itself also came out rather well.

As I predicted, navy blue showed up in this set. It does, however, serve for a nice compliment to the royal that (I presume/hope) the rest of this identity is based around. And is someone playing Jedi eye tricks on me or is that...magenta?? I figured red would show up in some small capacity, but certainly didn't see magenta coming. If that is indeed intentional, it'll be interesting seeing how that plays out with the uniforms and whatever team licensed apparel the Wahoos put out.

All in all, it came out pretty good. Certainly not fitting the whole "logo unlike any other" announcement, as I figured it wouldn't (and again, don't know how much of that was the organization's doing and/or how much was Brandiose's), but still pretty solid nonetheless. Y'all done done good here...y'all done done good.

Archived