Comedy Show Poster

gueman

Here is a poster I designed for a show I am part of and producing. I wanted a unique look, as most of the comedy show posters are the same, a vintage mic, comic photos, a spotlight, a curtain, and a comedy mask. Well let me know what you think and if you are in the area, come on out for a good show.ShipwreckJune18thShow.png

Don't comment too much on the board, but I thought I'd give you my two, hopefully, helpful cents.

Your concept is strong but needs some refinement to make it pop.

First of all, do you have a better picture of a fridge? It pretty pixelated around the edges, I'm guessing you had to blow it up pretty large for your poster. I also think I'd change the background color to something other than black. Seems a little depressing for a comedy show.

I think the main thing that would help give it some realism is drop shadows The items need to look like they're stuck to the fridge, not glued down. Get a cohesive drop shadow going and it'll lend a lot of realism to the design. Secondly, is the way the magnets would actually hold up the pictures and the names. Where the magnet is not dead center the paper would most likely lean to the side not attached, or at least curl on the top a little bit. Also I would have some of the pictures at different angles. No one is that anal about hanging stuff on the fridge. The paper at the top with the information on it: there are holes in the paper, but they look like there's more paper behind them, not an aqua fridge. Cut out where the paper has holes.

Lastly, you might want to use a light bevel filter on the magnetic letters to give them a more realistic three-dimensional look.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your show.

Good tips all. The black is just on here, the real poster will just be the fridge, the background will be cut out. Also it is a stack of notebook papers so that is why the fridge does not show through. The other things I will work on and post later. That was the best (free) photo I could find of a vintage fridge that had the look I wanted. But thanks for all the suggestions.

Well I took most of your suggestions, and you were spot on. I also added texture and slightly blur the writing on the napkins. I am not sure how much of the little details will be noticed in a dark club, but it is nice to know they are there. I cleaned up some of the pixilation of the handles and the name plate by creating a new nameplate and tweaking the area around the handles. I think those suggestions really make it pop. Thanks!

ShipwreckJune18thShowv2.png

Archived