Possible Change for Arizona State?

ShlyKBMT

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ASU has officially added black to its colors.

If it postdates or is part of the change, that doesn't really count.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I love what they did. Saw the other day and thought it was striking. Well done indeed.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Maybe this belongs in the "guilty pleasure" thread, but I really like these. Normally I'm against using black unless it's a main color, but it seems to work here.

One way to make them look less like USC would be to make the full trident on each shoulder, but that might be a bit busy.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

these are awesome, instantly one of the best. hope they use the black not too often tho while IN THE DESERT!

the new helmet is great, blows that disney looking sparky out of the water (even tho sparky will still be on the back of the helmets)

champs.png

Sleeves look like crap. I agree. Like most said, I think the logo is too short and I like Sparky, but ot relegate him to the back of hte sticker is asinine. The spear should have been like a helmet stripe and it'd be a great addidtion. Maybe even get rid of black and alternate the trident helmet and the trident as a spike. The black helmet IMO looks better because the whole logo sticks out. Not so much on the gold one.

Sleeves look like crap. I agree. Like most said, I think the logo is too short and I like Sparky, but ot relegate him to the back of hte sticker is asinine. The spear should have been like a helmet stripe and it'd be a great addidtion. Maybe even get rid of black and alternate the trident helmet and the trident as a spike. The black helmet IMO looks better because the whole logo sticks out. Not so much on the gold one.

http://asu.edu/itstime-press/documents/ASU_Brand_Manual_singlepages.pdf

If you look at page 23 of the brand manual, there are color variations for the new logo so they could always apply a different decal to make the pitchfork "pop" more on the gold helmets.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

After a few looks at these, here are my thoughts (I know the suspense is killing you):

The pitchfork logo looks over-done. I love the pitchfork on the helmet, but it seems to detailed. The helmets are great, I like the matte look for ASU. The jerseys are ok, but not perfect. The ASU on the sleeves is bad, should have been TV numbers or the AS logo. I'm not crazy about black for the Devils, but they used it nicely. Overall, I think it is a huge upgrade, but far from perfect.

It's not like night games are particularly cool either. There have been plenty of warm night games at Arizona Stadium and I suspect that Scum Devil Stadium is no different. :grin:

Both are terrible in the heat and nighttime is no relief...I actually grew up in Tucson so I've been to my fair share of U of A games.

What also bothers me is that in the video (at the end) the pitchfork looks more like a trident.

Getting science-y for a second - at night, wouldn't black uniforms be basically as cool as white ones? The problem with black uniforms is that they absorb light and convert it to heat, so if you're not shining sunlight on them the color shouldn't matter.

(the other problem with black uniforms, of course, is that they look like crap)

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

It's not like night games are particularly cool either. There have been plenty of warm night games at Arizona Stadium and I suspect that Scum Devil Stadium is no different. :grin:

Both are terrible in the heat and nighttime is no relief...I actually grew up in Tucson so I've been to my fair share of U of A games.

What also bothers me is that in the video (at the end) the pitchfork looks more like a trident.

Getting science-y for a second - at night, wouldn't black uniforms be basically as cool as white ones? The problem with black uniforms is that they absorb light and convert it to heat, so if you're not shining sunlight on them the color shouldn't matter.

Well, night games in Arizona can still be pretty warm.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Of course they can still be pretty warm, but once the sun goes down, black or white shouldn't make a difference because there isn't the whole "absorbing sunlight" factor anymore.

gYH2mW9.png

I wish uniforms would stick to the college's school colors. To my knowledge, black isn't one of ASU's colors.

I completely agree. Thank you!

It wasn't, until this redesign.

Now, black IS one of the official athletic colors.

In most cases adding black is Black For Black's Sake, but now ASU has gotten around it by officially adding it as one of its athletic colors. Maroon, Gold, Black.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Save for the unnecessary black alternates, I like this redesign. The new pitchfork logo is stylish and modern, but not over the top. True, it needs to wrap around the helmet, but that and the black are my only complaints. I especially like the ASU on the sleeves. It's a unique design element that the Sun Devils can make their own.

On the black thing, at least ASU made black a school colour to justify these pointless Nike-shoehorned alternates. That's more then I can say for another Pac 12 school/team that occasionally deviates from their official colour pallet ;)

Of course they can still be pretty warm, but once the sun goes down, black or white shouldn't make a difference because there isn't the whole "absorbing sunlight" factor anymore.

thank you. black absorbs sun light. how many of us have high school educations?

why is there 15 pages about one of the dumbest ,simplest changes ever seen? Washington State is more interesting as trendy and dumb as silver on grey is.

just another trendy look they will have to change again soon. Their look the last 2 years was better than this.

they need to focus on an emblem thats represents the sun more than devil pitchforks which are kind of dumb. I t is nothing reminiscent of Florida State.

the ASU on the sleeve is also incredibly dumb but I guess you need with a black uni since everyone has one and you cant tell them apart. They need some kind of sun logo as a secondary and Nike dropped the ball not coming up with an idea like that because it would have given creative license for finding new shades of yellow and/or gold.

Archived