Possible Change for Arizona State?

ShlyKBMT

Uh, hardly any college teams use navy and red.

I'd really like to see the U of A have an alt uniform that features their original colors of silver and sage green.

Same here. Last year was the perfect opportunity, since it was our 125th anniversary. Why they didn't do something for Homecoming or the ASU game, I don't know. I mean, we just got new uniforms from Nike, so I guess Nike and the UA just dropped the ball.

Silver and sage green would look great on the baseball and basketball teams...would be interesting to see how they'd work for the football team.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a diehard ASU fan I love the changes. I'm only 20 years old so I'm not as wrapped up in Sparky's aura and mystique among most older ASU fans but I still love him and my parents (ASU alums) grew me up on him. But I just think the pitchfork is great looking, bottom line.

But I'm confused and quite frankly fed up. I've followed this bored and uniwatch for years and BFBS is talked about a lot and widely hated it seems. WHY?!?! Who cares? If a team/school wants to add or subtract or completely revamp their color scheme, why not? And if they want to keep some history and just add some 'spice' with a color like black what's the big deal? Sure there's too much black around, but there's also wayyyyyy too much navy/red combos. The AZ Republic said it best when they believed Sparky was simply 'culturally exhausted' and a little out dated. The black is an attitude and gives our program an edge they desperately need.

Ahhh....so you too have bought into the black = badass logic. Listen, black is not badass, because the Raiders haven't been good for 10 years, and Batman's a comic book character. Black is simply a sign of lazy designers, who, rather than create a legitimately unique alt that works with the existing palate, would just toss out a generic black shirt with some stripes that have the team's actual colors.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It feels like all of a sudden the black uniform crazy is coming back. I don't get it, I thought the 90's were over.

Does this mean we going to get 12 new expansion teams in pro sports over the next 10 years, 8 of which will use teal as one of their colors???

As a diehard ASU fan I love the changes. I'm only 20 years old so I'm not as wrapped up in Sparky's aura and mystique among most older ASU fans but I still love him and my parents (ASU alums) grew me up on him. But I just think the pitchfork is great looking, bottom line.

But I'm confused and quite frankly fed up. I've followed this bored and uniwatch for years and BFBS is talked about a lot and widely hated it seems. WHY?!?! Who cares? If a team/school wants to add or subtract or completely revamp their color scheme, why not? And if they want to keep some history and just add some 'spice' with a color like black what's the big deal? Sure there's too much black around, but there's also wayyyyyy too much navy/red combos. The AZ Republic said it best when they believed Sparky was simply 'culturally exhausted' and a little out dated. The black is an attitude and gives our program an edge they desperately need.

Black isn't an attitude, it's a color and that is all. There's nothing specifically bad ass or elite about it. Winning is an attitude and makes you elite though. And apparently black doesn't help that much since the last team to win a national title while wearing black was Colorado in 1990 over 20 years ago and Georgia Tech shared it. Before that, there's nobody wearing black as far back as 1960 and then I stopped looking because I got bored.

And if, by your own admission, there's too much black, then black becomes played out and uninteresting. What recruit is going to really care about black uniforms when he's able to choose almost any school and he'll have a shot to wear black? And if he can't wear black he's probably playing for a school that consistently wins and cares a little bit about tradition.

EPIC FAIL

It's not an epic fail. It's certainly a change for the worse, but it's not an epic fail. An epic fail would have included several shades of gray and piping.

I honestly have not found another group of people that are any more resistant to change then the people on this board. Seriously, its as predictable as the sun coming up in the morning. WOW.

The ultra-predicable timeline of discussion on this board lately:

1. XYZ team hasn't changed their identity in years, it sucks and needs to change

2. XYZ team finally changes identity to something new....people glorify the old look as "classic" and can't understand why it was changed

3. XYZ team goes back to old look...people criticize them for being unoriginal pieces of garbage for not creating something new in place of bringing back the old look

4. repeat

*headslap*

y'know, this board actually used to have intelligent and thought provoking comments many years ago. It just sucks to have to sift through so many pages of bull$#!t comments to get to the gems.

EPIC FAIL

It's not an epic fail. It's certainly a change for the worse, but it's not an epic fail. An epic fail would have included several shades of gray and piping.

I honestly have not found another group of people that are any more resistant to change then the people on this board. Seriously, its as predictable as the sun coming up in the morning. WOW.

The ultra-predicable timeline of discussion on this board lately:

1. XYZ team hasn't changed their identity in years, it sucks and needs to change

2. XYZ team finally changes identity to something new....people glorify the old look as "classic" and can't understand why it was changed

3. XYZ team goes back to old look...people criticize them for being unoriginal pieces of garbage for not creating something new in place of bringing back the old look

4. repeat

*headslap*

y'know, this board actually used to have intelligent and thought provoking comments many years ago. It just sucks to have to sift through so many pages of bull$#!t comments to get to the gems.

I'll admit I'm a bit shocked of the backlash "change" gets on here too (though I think it may be just 4 or 5 users that post more frequently than others). Change is good....change is life....you can't evolve without change. I expect the resistance on places such as uniwatch, but I figured people on here would be a little more open-minded. Now some changes are good and some are bad, but at least they are trying to do something different and smartly getting away from the creepy devil running in spandex pajamas. As a die-hard Browns fan, I love Brownie the Elf with a passion, but I would NEVER want him on the Browns' helmet.

ASU new uni's get an A- in my opinion and a vast upgrade from their previous uni's.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Have you read UniWatch lately? With few exceptions, if it wasn't worn in the 1930's, it's automatically a "clown suit."

They've also developed an obnoxious obsession with "logo creep." Curse those greedy corporations, putting their logo on the sporting goods that they design, produce and sell! :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yeah, Lukas can be harsh, but in a lot of cases, he is right.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So as a die-hard Browns fan, are you eager for a helmet logo?

If it turns out good, why not? I love that the Browns don't have anything on their helmet except stripes (and numbers from time-to-time), but if an artist comes up with a great idea....I'm all for it. Can't live in the past forever.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

If it turns out good, why not? I love that the Browns don't have anything on their helmet except stripes (and numbers from time-to-time), but if an artist comes up with a great idea....I'm all for it. Can't live in the past forever.

If you're a Browns fan the past is all you've got going for you.

--------------------------------

Anyway, why couldn't they have done a gold alt? And let Poseidon keep his cattle prod?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's rather rude, explain. Browns Backers is one of the largest NFL fan bases in the world (Browns Backers). The Browns sell out almost every game and that city loves their sports teams. Browns fans also love their current team (we aren't fair-weather fans). I'm not exactly sure what your point was in posting that.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

That's rather rude, explain. Browns Backers is one of the largest NFL fan bases in the world (Browns Backers). The Browns sell out almost every game and that city loves their sports teams. Browns fans also love their current team (we aren't fair-weather fans). I'm not exactly sure what your point was in posting that.

Maybe he's sayin' the Browns have sucked for a long time? That's not really rude at all. They do have a good history....when Paul Brown was the coach.

I used to be a pretty big fan of UniWatch, but as of late I can't stand to read that garbage. I use it as a source of news more than anything. It has gotten to the point where pretty much anything modern is "trash". I am a fan of most Nike things and I personally think there is some jealousy involved over on UW. Calling them corporate douchebags is one thing, but at the end of the day Nike is making bank. I don't blame them at all. Hell if you go on the facebook page of ASU's jerseys 90 out of a hundred comments are positive saying that they are cool. I think people just need to lay off and like somebody else said, if they dislike it that much, then they can just not pay attention to it.

Maybe he's sayin' the Browns have sucked for a long time? That's not really rude at all. They do have a good history....when Paul Brown was the coach.

But what did that have to do with uniforms/logos? I know the Browns have struggled since '99, nobody needs to remind a Browns fan that.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

But what did that have to do with uniforms/logos? I know the Browns have struggled since '99, nobody needs to remind a Browns fan that.

Not sure. That's why I threw a question mark in there. That's just how I interpreted it.

I used to be a pretty big fan of UniWatch, but as of late I can't stand to read that garbage. I use it as a source of news more than anything. It has gotten to the point where pretty much anything modern is "trash". I am a fan of most Nike things and I personally think there is some jealousy involved over on UW. Calling them corporate douchebags is one thing, but at the end of the day Nike is making bank. I don't blame them at all. Hell if you go on the facebook page of ASU's jerseys 90 out of a hundred comments are positive saying that they are cool. I think people just need to lay off and like somebody else said, if they dislike it that much, then they can just not pay attention to it.

My co-worker called UW's hatred of Nike a form of "penis envy" and I had to laugh. I've tried my hardest not to comment on there, but there are times when I can't help but put in my 2 cents. For example, he bashed the Rays manager Joe Maddon for paying respect to MacDill AFB's 70th Anniversary by putting "MacDill" on the back of his jersey. I thought that was out of line for UW to do so. It was honorable that Maddon did that. But that's just my opinion.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Archived