Possible Change for Arizona State?

ShlyKBMT

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UniWatch has posted about what they will be.

Trident helmet, trident (think fishing hook) shoulders. Maroon, white, black jerseys.

Right.

2 helmets, gold and black, both matte. Gold pants, as well.

Paul Lukas (Uniwatch) just copied your description word for word. Maybe you are Paul Lukas.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Trident helmet, trident (think fishing hook) shoulders. Maroon, white, black jerseys.

Right.

Paul Lukas (Uniwatch) just copied your description word for word. Maybe you are Paul Lukas.

Ha, nope, but I have seen them. I think every thing else will be released Tues PM.

The new font is in this thread about 2/3 down "Home of the Sun Devils"

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=43&f=1681&t=6803968

If that is the new font, that's actually not bad at all. In fact, I think...I think I actually kind of like it. Wonder how the numbers are going to turn out, if they're going to be the same font as that.

(For those unable to see the image, it appears this new font is based on a version of DIN...think Cincinnati Bengals minus the dropshadow, plus small pointed serifs.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Not bad. Certainly beats their Crillee Bold mishap of a few years ago.

Everything else about this rebrand, though, sounds like it could be all kinds of bad. Hopefully it turns out better in pictures than it does in words.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Everything else about this rebrand, though, sounds like it could be all kinds of bad. Hopefully it turns out better in pictures than it does in words.

Kelvarnsen, what was your reaction when you saw them? Was it a "Oh, cool! I like it!" or a "Well...I guess it works...maybe it will grow on me..."?

Kelvarnsen, what was your reaction when you saw them? Was it a "Oh, cool! I like it!" or a "Well...I guess it works...maybe it will grow on me..."?

The pitchfork is the centerpiece of this rebrand. I like the fork, so I like the overall effort, but not overwhelmed. I was not in the Sparky camp, thought that logo was terribly outdated.

The basketball unis are pretty blah, but I think that is more function of the coach than design.

It will be interesting to see where ASU baseball ends up. They are not Nike, so aren't obligated to these changes.

The pitchfork is the centerpiece of this rebrand. I like the fork, so I like the overall effort, but not overwhelmed. I was not in the Sparky camp, thought that logo was terribly outdated.

The basketball unis are pretty blah, but I think that is more function of the coach than design.

It will be interesting to see where ASU baseball ends up. They are not Nike, so aren't obligated to these changes.

466548.jpg

My guess is if baseball makes any changes they will be minor seeing as how they use the interlocking "AS" logo as their primary and already have the "pitchfork within the state" logo on the jersey sleeve.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Good thing those won't look even close to the real thing.

When people use those templates, why don't they at least get rid of the horned from outline from inside the heel of the right shoe or the OU red from the glove-wrist liner?

Right.

Actually, that was me. I sent in the quote.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Right.

Ha, nope, but I have seen them. I think every thing else will be released Tues PM.

Looks a bit like the Akron font. Especially if it were ever italicized some of the serifs would make it look very similar to ours

Just out of curiosity doesn't it seem pointless to have "Home of the Sun Devils" huge that high up? I mean you wouldn't see it on TV broadcasts, and if you are in the area wouldn't you know which team plays there?

Right.

Looks a bit like the Akron font. Especially if it were ever italicized some of the serifs would make it look very similar to ours

Just out of curiosity doesn't it seem pointless to have "Home of the Sun Devils" huge that high up? I mean you wouldn't see it on TV broadcasts, and if you are in the area wouldn't you know which team plays there?

You could say that about any football stadium that has something like "Welcome to Death Valley" or "Home of the 12th Man" high above the playing field as well.

206456_211816192177223_100000465301500_824131_2839047_n.jpg

215703_211816102177232_100000465301500_824129_8106832_n.jpg

That first helmet is bad ass. If Sparky has to go, I wish this would be the replacement. Honestly. There's also something really interesting about this maroon to black fade, when paired with all that solid gold, it just looks magnificently fresh and modern. So clean and simple. I'm still not digging the pitchfork, though. What if you had stripes on the sleeves with the same maroon to black fade, then put the AS monogram on the helmet in gold. I also think the facemask should be maroon to match the bottom portion of the helmet. Maybe the socks should be maroon at the bottom and black at the top to match the numerals and the helmet?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You may be onto something, 'Drew. However, I'd kinda like to see that maroon-to-black gradient fade reversed, and the maroon brightened up a little bit more, and then it'd perhaps mimic an Arizona desert sunset...since, after all, we are taking about the Sun Devils, here. If ASU must incorporate black, that might be one way to go about it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=8536259

-- ASU will officially add black and copper to its color palette. Not just football but university-wide. We aren't going to see copper on uniforms in any significant way, however.

-- There will be all black jerseys with a black helmet that is more matte than shiny. The numbers on the black jerseys fade from gold at the top to white at the bottom. Or it can be done so it fades from gold to maroon. But gold to white is what I've been told will be used initially.

-- There are two helmet colors. One is black, the other is gold, but the gold will be more color matched to the uniforms than the mustard-like gold from the past. On both helmets, a newly designed pitchfork made by Nike will be the primary mark. It's possible down the road we may see a maroon or even a white helmet but that's unlikely to be the case this year at any point and is currently not in the plans.

-- The new pitchfork is different than anything that has been seen before. It's wider in the head with more aggressive prongs. The handle is shorter and points at the end, making for a more symmetrical look. On the helmet, the pitchfork is oriented in a way somewhat similar to the arrowhead of the Florida State helmet but perhaps slightly more angled toward vertical. The handles do not meet in the back of the helmet, but are maybe 6 inches or so apart. The pitchfork is bold with a border to it that allows for different color combinations of maroon, black, gold, white.

-- There are no pro combat jerseys. There are black tops and pants, maroon tops and pants, white tops and pans, gold tops and pants. They can be mixed and matched for many different looks. You can expect ASU will wear all black at some point, probably on Friday against Missouri because the players and coaches already wear black on Fridays around the football complex and call the day "Blackout Fridays." You can also expect an all white look at some point. Then there will be more traditional looks. All of the jerseys are clean, but bold. They are not overly busy.

-- There is a new font that is trademarked specifically for ASU that will be used. It is he font that is on the new upper ring of WFA. Jerseys will say only Arizona State or Sun Devils depending on home or away and the font will be recognizable as only Arizona State's.

-- Sparky will be coming off the helmets -- though there may be a sparky sticker somewhere -- but Sparky will still play a prominent role around the stadium and an even more prominent role on campus. Right now you don't see Sparky on campus. But there will be a huge revamping on campus that will have everything named "Sun Devil XXXX" and Sparky will be on a lot of that. The new sparky has been updated by Disney and it's now a muscular full body animatronic that can be tailored to each sport. The ASU sparky mascot will wear a muscle suit.

-- The uniform changes are across all sports and are going to be seamlessly integrated.

-- Regarding the Sun Devil Club overhaul, it will be revealed that the club is being moved off campus -- if you remember, after the Kevin White era it was moved on campus in part to rein in spending. But that brought its own problems as evidenced during the ensuing years. Sun Devil Club will have 16 committees, each dealing with a specific endeavor. Examples would be "game day experience," "booster outreach" and "capital projects." Each of the 16 committees will be managed by high level boosters or community business figures, and aided by one or more deputies, several of whom have discussed the details of these plans at length, not for attribution prior to the Tuesday media event.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

IT'S TIME! (FINALLY)

Hopefully everyone likes the end product this afternoon...I'm sure someone else will post photos since I'll be running around the event.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived