Alternates Used More Than Regulars in MLB

piratesfan16

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phillies only wear their alts during home day games, the perfect system IMO.

No, that's too much. If you go to a weekend series, they are likely going to wear their alternates 2/3 times. DrAwesome was right that teams should chose set days and take the choice out of the players' hands. When the Sox switched to their current look, the black jerseys were only worn on Sundays. I remember liking the black jerseys as a kid because it was special to see them. They even had a marketing thing with the "black Sunday" games. Bring that back, get a sponsor for it, and make those games seem special. At least with the White Sox, the black jersey is by far the worst design wise. Its coolness is only that it's black, but when you get past that, you notice that it looks like a batting practice jersey and the silver outline around the letters is horribly sloppy. They could make it into a pullover and they wouldn't lose anything, and that is not a good thing. If that is worn twice a week it wouldn't seem so bad. Not only would they then possibly sell more home and road jerseys from featuring them more, I think the rareness of the black jersey would keep its sales the same.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The guidelines for baseball uniforms are more limiting than in any other sport. White for your primary home, on the road you're stuck with gray or maybe light blue, sand, or some other crappy, boring color of similar value. Any other color that's an obvious uniform color choice for your identity (red, blue, black) is relegated to being an 'alternate' right out of the gate. If this rule (I assume its a rule, otherwise no one would have any reason to do it) didn't exist, than you can bet that the White Sox, Astros, Braves, and whoever else would never even have designed a gray road uniform. They have no reason to. So with the system as it is, how can you really blame some of these teams for using their alternates a lot (the one they have the most freedom in designing) when they don't have much freedom for their 'primary' sets?

All that said, I don't care what uniforms teams wear when, providing you can tell apart the two teams on the field, and I don't know why anyone else does.

No it is not a rule. The reason grey is used for baseball uniforms goes back to when the game was first played, grey would hide the color better than white. There were teams that used colored uniforms (I'm including the pants also) such as the White Sox, Cubs, and Orioles (the franchise that is actually now the Yankees). Why did teams get away from the practice? Possibly, cost of making colored material was probably more expensive, throw on the fact that keeping them looking good was probably another factor, maybe the material bleed and when it got into a cut would cause an infection. You also have to realize that grey is a lighter color and on a hot day, colored clothes attract heat more than a lighter color of grey. If you wanted a colored team, then go back and watch old highlights of the early 70's A's in the all yellow, the Padres of the 70's in their mustard yellow, the Indians of the 70's in the all red, or I think the Orioles who donned an all orange uniform for a game or two. It doesn't look good, so stop asking for things you will criticize when it happens. It just doesn't look good, end of story.

The guidelines for baseball uniforms are more limiting than in any other sport. White for your primary home, on the road you're stuck with gray or maybe light blue, sand, or some other crappy, boring color of similar value. Any other color that's an obvious uniform color choice for your identity (red, blue, black) is relegated to being an 'alternate' right out of the gate. If this rule (I assume its a rule, otherwise no one would have any reason to do it) didn't exist, than you can bet that the White Sox, Astros, Braves, and whoever else would never even have designed a gray road uniform. They have no reason to. So with the system as it is, how can you really blame some of these teams for using their alternates a lot (the one they have the most freedom in designing) when they don't have much freedom for their 'primary' sets?

No it is not a rule. The reason grey is used for baseball uniforms goes back to when the game was first played, grey would hide the color better than white. There were teams that used colored uniforms (I'm including the pants also) such as the White Sox, Cubs, and Orioles (the franchise that is actually now the Yankees). Why did teams get away from the practice? Possibly, cost of making colored material was probably more expensive, throw on the fact that keeping them looking good was probably another factor, maybe the material bleed and when it got into a cut would cause an infection. You also have to realize that grey is a lighter color and on a hot day, colored clothes attract heat more than a lighter color of grey. If you wanted a colored team, then go back and watch old highlights of the early 70's A's in the all yellow, the Padres of the 70's in their mustard yellow, the Indians of the 70's in the all red, or I think the Orioles who donned an all orange uniform for a game or two. It doesn't look good, so stop asking for things you will criticize when it happens. It just doesn't look good, end of story.

Yeah, the story I heard was that grey was both different enough from white to work as a contrasting uniform and light enough that it wouldn't attract heat on a hot day.

These days they could make full coloured uniforms (jerseys and pants) out of coloured fabrics that wouldn't attract heat, but why bother at this point? The white at home grey on the road system's been in place for SO long that anything else would just look odd to most people.

I mean there's a reason that the experiments with more colourful baseball uniforms from the 1970s didn't last.

All that said, I don't care what uniforms teams wear when, providing you can tell apart the two teams on the field, and I don't know why anyone else does.

You really don't get the point of this site, do you?

I couldn't tell if this is exactly what you were saying, but I remember reading somewhere that gray uniforms were used to hide dirt and other stains because back in the day it was harder for road teams to have access to good laundry facilities while traveling.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Can I ask why the Twins are so infatuated with their navy alts ???

They have / had a great home, road and throwback set that was just updated a year ago. That's a solid 3-jersey set. There's no need for navy. But fine, keep one. However, then you make a matching one for the road...??? How many jerseys do the Twins need?

There's no excuse to wear anything but the home / road / throwback (cream). It's newly designed, too. Why not flaunt it???

Maybe it's just my hatred of certain alts (specifically overused navy and black),but can Minnesota just pick one navy jersey and burn the other one? Does any team need 4 + unis? I think not. I can see wearing the navy on the road, but when you sport an awesome home set, why wreck that?

The Brewers wear their "Milwaukee" script road alternates alot. I think it has more to do with the Coolbase fabric they are made out of than looks, but I love the look of it anyways. I wish they would update the gray jersey to say Milwaukee as well.

As for the Braves alternate road I like them. I think they are one of the best alternate uniforms in baseball right now. I love the simple just white outline look. Sometimes less color is more. I'd like to see more teams do this. I have seen some brewers jackets and clothing with just the "Brewers" script outline in gold and it looks pretty sharp. It just lacks the contrast the Braves jerseys have.

The Brewers are 100% COOLBASE in all of their jerseys, so the navy road are worn on purpose for the color, not the material.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

So it was done for a particular reason way back in the day and its still done because of that pointless tradition.

Why would I criticize it when a baseball team makes a solid color uniform their primary? I think the majority of them look just fine, better than the grays. And why the :censored: are you bringing 70's uniforms into the mix.

These days they could make full coloured uniforms (jerseys and pants) out of coloured fabrics that wouldn't attract heat, but why bother at this point? The white at home grey on the road system's been in place for SO long that anything else would just look odd to most people.

So it all goes back to some dumbass tradition.

This is why baseball pisses me off.

You really don't get the point of this site, do you?

Sure I do. I just think taking it to the level you guys are and crying like little girls because team x wears their alternate too much is silly.

So it was done for a particular reason way back in the day and its still done because of that pointless tradition.

Why would I criticize it when a baseball team makes a solid color uniform their primary? I think the majority of them look just fine, better than the grays. And why the :censored: are you bringing 70's uniforms into the mix.

He's bringing up the 70s because full colour road uniforms were tried in the 70s, and they didn't last.

Phillies only wear their alts during home day games, the perfect system IMO.

No, that's too much. If you go to a weekend series, they are likely going to wear their alternates 2/3 times. DrAwesome was right that teams should chose set days and take the choice out of the players' hands. When the Sox switched to their current look, the black jerseys were only worn on Sundays. I remember liking the black jerseys as a kid because it was special to see them. They even had a marketing thing with the "black Sunday" games. Bring that back, get a sponsor for it, and make those games seem special. At least with the White Sox, the black jersey is by far the worst design wise. Its coolness is only that it's black, but when you get past that, you notice that it looks like a batting practice jersey and the silver outline around the letters is horribly sloppy. They could make it into a pullover and they wouldn't lose anything, and that is not a good thing. If that is worn twice a week it wouldn't seem so bad. Not only would they then possibly sell more home and road jerseys from featuring them more, I think the rareness of the black jersey would keep its sales the same.

meh, i just went and looked at the Phillies schedule, they have 20 scheduled home day games this year and 61 scheduled night home games this year. I don't think wearing your alt 25% of the time is too much, especially because you said, when the Phillies play a day game and wear their day alts it seems special. I love day games even more now that I get to see their alt because I know I don't get to see them when they play on the road or at night. It makes each day game a special event to me.

21dh5qp.png

Don't forget that baseball players tend to be superstitious. If a team is in a funk or not playing well, they change up the jerseys for a sake of change. If that team wins the first game in the different combo, then the next, and so on. The team might collectively decide that since they are streaking to just ride it out till they lose the first game after that. Then going back to the normal uniform or vice versa.

packchampionslfroh.png

Don't forget that baseball players tend to be superstitious. If a team is in a funk or not playing well, they change up the jerseys for a sake of change. If that team wins the first game in the different combo, then the next, and so on. The team might collectively decide that since they are streaking to just ride it out till they lose the first game after that. Then going back to the normal uniform or vice versa.

If I'm not mistaken that is exactly what the White Sox do (or at least they did last season). They would literally wear their alternates until they lost in them, then wear the regular uniforms until they lost in them, then go back to the alternates, etc. Feel free to correct me White Sox fans if this is wrong.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

If I'm not mistaken that is exactly what the White Sox do (or at least they did last season). They would literally wear their alternates until they lost in them, then wear the regular uniforms until they lost in them, then go back to the alternates, etc. Feel free to correct me White Sox fans if this is wrong.

Mostly true. They would never stop wearing the black jersey while they were on a win streak. However, they often wore them for multiple losses in a row. They also often switched from white/gray to the black jersey despite being on a win streak. So it wasn't like they followed their dumb "ride the hot jersey" thing to the letter.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Mostly true. They would never stop wearing the black jersey while they were on a win streak. However, they often wore them for multiple losses in a row. They also often switched from white/gray to the black jersey despite being on a win streak. So it wasn't like they followed their dumb "ride the hot jersey" thing to the letter.

I think the "hot streak" thing is what led to last season's infamous White Sox-A's black-black match-up. As I said before, the White Sox are notorious for ignoring the guidelines.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Cubs wear their blues a lot, much more at homethan on the road. Zambrano almost always wears them, even at home, despite someone's insistence a few years ago that the Cubs would never wear blue at home again.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

The Cubs wear their blues a lot, much more at homethan on the road. Zambrano almost always wears them, even at home, despite someone's insistence a few years ago that the Cubs would never wear blue at home again.

I don't remember which year it was, but the Cubs actually eliminated the blue jersey completely for a year. They felt the jersey was being worn too much. They brought it back after a year, and it is once again being worn too much. They should at least make a good jersey. Put the primary logo on the chest, give it some kind of shoulder or placket stripes. The limp-wristed cub logo sucks in general, but it is even worse as the primary mark on a jersey.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I guess I'm getting used to teams wearing them so often, I used to be opposed to it. I was watching Major League the other day, and back then I thought BP jerseys were kinda cool, and I guess someone thought so aslo, and a few years later decided to have those jerseys more often during the season.

Archived