Alternates Used More Than Regulars in MLB

piratesfan16

The Cubs wear their blues a lot, much more at homethan on the road. Zambrano almost always wears them, even at home, despite someone's insistence a few years ago that the Cubs would never wear blue at home again.

I don't remember which year it was, but the Cubs actually eliminated the blue jersey completely for a year. They felt the jersey was being worn too much. They brought it back after a year, and it is once again being worn too much. They should at least make a good jersey. Put the primary logo on the chest, give it some kind of shoulder or placket stripes. The limp-wristed cub logo sucks in general, but it is even worse as the primary mark on a jersey.

2007 was the no-blue year. Would've been even better if they had gotten rid of the red-billed hat that year, too. Would've been better if they could beat a ridiculously overachieving Diamondbacks team.

If there's a blue alternate, it should be an updated button-down version of the '84 roads. Red/white/red stripes on the cuffs and collar, primary logo, maybe special dispensation to wear plain white pants.

I hate that stupid Scavenging Bear. It shouldn't be a quasi-primary. It shouldn't be a secondary. It shouldn't even be a tertiary! That thing, at best, is a Women's Apparel Only logo. Horrible, and the sleeve logos of years past generally weren't all that good either. The Cubs have a super-powerful mark in their primary (the concentric white around blue around white around red around white is subconciously eye-pleasing), and an equally ~*iconic*~ version of it for the caps. They don't need much else.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for alternate jerseys, but only two or three times a year.......I'm more in favor of a team having a consistent identity. That usually means wearing the same jersey's for most of their games. Otherwise it smacks of being a blatant marketing gimmick to sell more jerseys. I'm just old school. I despise dark tops....they look like beer league designs and cheapen the whole league, IMO. And it makes no difference if it's a newer franchise like the Diamondbacks or an old one like the Cubs. Dark tops with light pants are bush league.

You traditionalists are killing me. I consider myself right in the middle of traditional and modern, but only 2 uniforms for 162 games a year is awful. I'm not saying alternates should be forced upon every team, nor should they be worn too often, but no way should we have white vs. gray every game.

Two uniforms for 162 games is a little on the dull side, but anything more then three is just diluting the brand. Do teams, for example, really need home and road versions of their alternate? Do the Rangers need both a red and blue alternate set?

At most, in my opinion, a team should have one home set, one road set, and one alternate set. The alternate set should only be worn during home games on any designated day. The traditional day would seem to be Sunday, but if a team wants to make home games on Thursday alternate day then by all means. It's when teams start overusing alternates that it becomes a problem.

I don't have a problem with teams having a home and road version of an alternate jersey. I can't think of an instance where the home and roads were drastically different. I'm pretty sure in all cases the only difference has been the home and road scripts, which, save Minnesota, are similar enough to not be that big a deal. I don't even count that as an extra jersey.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree, I love the Nationals red alt. And I love that it's worn every Sunday. I also love the fact that when they have a Sunday doubleheader, they change into white for the night game.

I like them as well, but I also like they've switched up when they wear them. Now, at home, it's just on Saturdays and Sundays (last year, it was THURSday thru Sunday, which was too much for my liking).

BUT, they've started to wear the red alts on the road as well. Can't tell if it's on the same calendar pattern as when at home but it works with the grey pants. Not sure if they work as well with the new blue crown/red bill road caps.

The first time they took the red alts on the road (to New York), they took the red caps/helmets with them and it looked better:

r3586550511.jpg?

On the next road trip (to Pittsburgh), they went with the regular road headwear:

capt.bd5b86a93c3a4ca69a65983f1d18e412-bd5b86a93c3a4ca69a65983f1d18e412-0.jpg

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I'm really tired of seeing the colored jerseys in Baseball. I don't mind them too much, but when a team wears an alternate more than 50% of the time (and I'm looking right at the Rangers), there is a problem. I like the idea of one alternate per series. Other than that, it's white or grey bub.

Archived