Dunedin Scots

raysox

Hey gang.

I've done this concept before, but not on inkscape. Here was my last concept.

Basically, I'm rebranding the Jays' A ball team from the Jays to the Scots. Dunedin has a lot of Scottish heritage. The high school band plays bagpipes, and there is highlanders on the town welcome sign. So when I was in Scotland, and I caught myself thinking about this. It could be better. I started sketching it, and I realized that I had some things that I hadn't done. I added detail to the beard. Just a little scruff, but it adds so much. I changed the colors to a more Blue Jays scheme, with dual blues and black. The Script is custom. I had it in mind for a while, but couldnt get it worked out. I tweeked it for about 4 days strait, and came up with that. I had an idea for a bagpipe logo. The tubes are bats, and I thought it was minor league-y. I want some C&C on that, cause I know it isn't that impressive. I think it is the rope connecting.

1.png

1jrs.png

Dunedin has a lot of Scottish heritage. The high school band plays bagpipes, and there is highlanders on the town welcome sign

The high school is also the Highlanders (speaking of which, you seem to do a good amount of Dunedin concepts for a kid who goes to Palm Harbor :P)

As for the logo, I think it looks too cliparty/cartoony. Maybe the word I'm looking for is flat, it doesnt have much definition. I do like the script though.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

The high school is actually the falcons.

That's true. It's either the elementary school or middle school that are the Highlanders. One of my childhood friends went to both, but I forget which one had that as the mascot.

It is clean and I like the idea, but it just reminds me of a cartoon network cartoon series. I think you need depth and need to add a little more life and realism to the main and alternate bagpipe logo.

It's definitely a good start. My one critique is that the bagpipe logo kinda blends in with the hat on the alternate. I'd change either the hat or the logo to the darker blue. Also, I'd be curious to see what the bagpipe logo would look like if you gave the bagpipe logo a plaid pattern like the guy's hat in the primary. I dunno, the bagpipe logo just looks a little plain to me. (I guess that's two critiques, my bad)

Overall, it's a really solid concept. I give it thumbs up.

The high school is actually the falcons.

Damnit thats right, its the middle school. Thats sad too that I forgot that considering I still have my brother's Falcons basketball jersey lol.

And as for the concept, dgthree basically nailed what I was trying to say the first time, needs more life and depth.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

The face looks as if it could be a Family Guy character and it doesnt scream baseball logo in any way. the mouth is off and the way the beard flows around the mouth with perfect distance between each part of mouth and the beard is unusual. the wordmark is nice and I think if you worked on incorporating more elements to the wordmark, it would make a nice primary. Right now you just have three random 'partial' logos. The team in Dunedin just uses the old Jays logo, right? so they are in need of a new logo and/or name, so Scots seems like a good match.

Scots/Scotties has always been the name I would give the team if it were up to me. I also thought the mascot could be represented as a scottish terrier.

As for an alt logo, maybe something tartan plaid flag of some kind (a la Texas Rangers alt logo)

Scots/Scotties has always been the name I would give the team if it were up to me. I also thought the mascot could be represented as a scottish terrier.

As for an alt logo, maybe something tartan plaid flag of some kind (a la Texas Rangers alt logo)

Yeah, I thought about something like that. The hat pattern isn't really a clan pattern, but whatever. I still kind of want to work out the pipes logo because the Florida town has a history of them. The first one is just kinda terrible, ahaha. Also, astrobull, do you still work for the Jays?

On a related note, I got a keychain with my clan's tartan(Taylor) on it, and it happens to be pretty ugly.

taylor.jpg?w=225&h=225

Hey gang.

I've done this concept before, but not on inkscape. Here was my last concept.

Basically, I'm rebranding the Jays' A ball team from the Jays to the Scots. Dunedin has a lot of Scottish heritage. The high school band plays bagpipes, and there is highlanders on the town welcome sign. So when I was in Scotland, and I caught myself thinking about this. It could be better. I started sketching it, and I realized that I had some things that I hadn't done. I added detail to the beard. Just a little scruff, but it adds so much. I changed the colors to a more Blue Jays scheme, with dual blues and black. The Script is custom. I had it in mind for a while, but couldnt get it worked out. I tweeked it for about 4 days strait, and came up with that. I had an idea for a bagpipe logo. The tubes are bats, and I thought it was minor league-y. I want some C&C on that, cause I know it isn't that impressive. I think it is the rope connecting.

1.png

1jrs.png

Needs more research. I cant put it any plainer than that. The whole thing needs work I'm afraid, from proportional inaccuracies in the face, to improper flow of thick and thin strokes in the script and finally to the bagpipe secondary which lacks major components of a set of bagpipes. There are some nice ideas there, the bats replacing the pipes could possibly work well if executed better. The character while cliched and in the opinion of this humble Scotsman done to death, if executed well could be pretty effective for a minor league team, but all in all it lacks the level of accuracy and finish to make it successful I'm afraid.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Yeah, I thought about something like that. The hat pattern isn't really a clan pattern, but whatever. I still kind of want to work out the pipes logo because the Florida town has a history of them. The first one is just kinda terrible, ahaha. Also, astrobull, do you still work for the Jays?

Unfortunately I am no longer with the Jays, was laid off last week. I am back with the Phillies/Threshers in Clearwater doing part-time work.

Not sure if you two saw the update? I have the bagpipes and jerseys on hold for now.

I updated that update with an attempt to even the guy's outlines, make the shadows better, and smoothen out the script.

3.png

Yeah I'd seen the update, and the same still applies I'm afraid. Serious proportional issues with the face, cheek bones in wrong place, placement and angle of mouth make no sense (even in an exaggerated cartoon style) the shadows are just added round the edges and dont actually add anything of any structural significance to the piece. As I said before you need to do more research to make this work. If you are gonna go with a pretty stereotypical idea for a logo in order to make it succeed it has to be the best executed version EVER, and right now that's simply not the case I'm afraid,

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Hey, how was Scotland?

Been there a few times. Fantastic.

I think the Scotsman is not too bad.

His mouth is the problem.

It looks like a lacrosse stick.

Simplify it.

You don't need to show the lips and every single tooth.

An offset white triangle (to suggest a clinched sneer)

with a black outline is all you need.

Get some reference for the pipes.

Hey, how was Scotland?

Been there a few times. Fantastic.

I think the Scotsman is not too bad.

His mouth is the problem.

It looks like a lacrosse stick.

Simplify it.

You don't need to show the lips and every single tooth.

An offset white triangle (to suggest a clinched sneer)

with a black outline is all you need.

Get some reference for the pipes.

I would like to see that. Also, I would put DUNEDIN on the road grays opposed to SCOTS.

25yzwqg.png

Archived