California Golden Seals (Version 2)

GeorgesL

You guys remember I posted a logo concept for the California Golden Seals, the modernized version, which has received rave reviews, thanks to you guys.

My original California Golden Seals logo

I felt that the design and the colours were there, but I also felt I could make a better Seals' logo.

So after some C&C I received, and a little outside inspiration, I decided to design a 2nd Seals logo. Only this time, the Seals will not be golden. I used the Vegas gold for the gloves and the nose, and used a Pacific Teal, or slate green for the seal itself, to make it look more nautical, not to mention a real badass!

CaliforniaSeals2.png

As for the inspiration part, I found an old Florida Seals shoulder logo on the internet, so I used that, plus made some alterations.

Please feel free to compare the two logos, and see which one is better. As for me, I feel my latest one is better than the first, the first concept can be used for a starter logo actually, but the second one is more agressive, plus the teal seal made more sense because of its smooth skin.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The black lines should be at least half as thick as they are. Other than that, fascinating alternate-history take on the Sharks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's good, but so was your other version. I am confused by the far arm thi. it looks as if the arm extends out from his chest rather than his shoulder area. Based on this angle, I think we would see chest in front of the forearm, or at least change the way the arm comes out. Other than the anatomy and all, it's good.

Great redo. I think jaha brings up a good point about the arm coming out of the chest. It does look a little odd. I don't agree with the admiral, the thickness of the black lines is perfect. I love the rendering of the gloves. What if you get rid of the triangle and have the seal coming out of a "C" instead? The letter C is a really good letter to incorporate sports logos into. I don't know if it'll work with this logo, but it's worth a shot.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I don't really understand the need for a re-do on your previous attempt. It was miles better than this new attempt, honestly. The line thickness and shading doesn't flow at all, whereas the first version was beautifully rendered and had perfect line thickness throughout. It also looks a little bit elongated, which is very distracting. All in all, a huge downgrade IMO.

phitinsig.png

Without seeing the full shape of the animal, it makes it harder to identify. If you didn't have the name in the title, I would have a little trouble guessing what it was.

I think both arms are rendered in a way that causes some confusion. On the right arm, the way that the glove is rendered, it is hard to tell if that is supposed to be the seal's shoulder, or a part of his forearm. Now given how weird it looks being all apart of his forearm, I can interpret it as his shoulder, but my eye gets drawn to it because it takes longer to perceive what it is.

While your previous logo may lack some of the aggression this one has, it was clean and very identifiable. I would personally revisit that one and make some color variations and tweaks to his face.

...What if you get rid of the triangle and have the seal coming out of a "C" instead? The letter C is a really good letter to incorporate sports logos into. I don't know if it'll work with this logo, but it's worth a shot.

Actually I was planning on saving the "C" for the shoulder patch. Plus as I said the triangle was supposed to signify the 3 major cites in the Bay Area represented by each corner (San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose). I was considering a circle, but I felt the triangle looked better.

Yeah I'm still getting a Penguins/Sharks feel out of this. Your first one was 10x better than this one in my opinion. Compared to your original, the seal doesn't really look like a seal to me. I think buster pinpointed it, it kinda looks like a mole. I would go back to your original and work off of that.

I think without a tail, it is harder to know what animal it is as others have said. Your first attempt was obviously a seal and I just cant get over the arm coming from the chest in this newer version. The first one was better in the sense that it was obviously a seal. I liked the brownish seal in that one over this blue/green also. the more I look at this one, the more i like the first attempt you made better. There was nothing wrong with it. It was very well-done.

Personally, I like the original one better. But that's just me.

I like it too, but I wanted to go for something a little more aggressive, but not too "cartoon-y", something the NHL, or the AHL at the very least, would approve.

Yeah, I agree. If it's going to be the golden seals, shouldn't the seal be golden?

This logo I did would be for simply the "Seals", not "Golden Seals", unless I can flip-flop the colours, then it'd be a different story.

...What if you get rid of the triangle and have the seal coming out of a "C" instead? The letter C is a really good letter to incorporate sports logos into. I don't know if it'll work with this logo, but it's worth a shot.

CaliforniaSealsAltlogo.png

Archived