California Golden Seals (Version 2)

GeorgesL

I meant to ask if you rendered a new version of the skating seal logo yourself, because it looks really well done and not copied/pasted from a photo. :)

I found the actual logo, it wasn't a photo, but the actual artwork. I kept the design the way it is for nostalgic purposes, but I recoloured it to match the jersey.

sf1.png

This was originally green and gold.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew it looked familiar. :P It was rendered by Ken Chernoff, not myself, but he and I have worked together on various Seals concepts over the years. The logo certainly doesn't belong to him, but I think it's reasonable to give him credit for the rendition. :)

As I said, I do enjoy this interpretation, especially your choice of colors.

This concept, in terms of hockey concepts, is my favourite of them all. Some I've done were easy, some were difficult, and this concept basically was creating itself, once I put the logo in place. I knew what I wanted right away, I had to do a lot of soul searching for the 3rd jersey, but it was well worth it.

I meant to ask if you rendered a new version of the skating seal logo yourself, because it looks really well done and not copied/pasted from a photo. :)

I found the actual logo, it wasn't a photo, but the actual artwork. I kept the design the way it is for nostalgic purposes, but I recoloured it to match the jersey.

sf1.png

This was originally green and gold.

Technically, this isn't the original artwork. I used a bunch of old reference photos (which weren't that easy to find) and approximated the look as best as I could. Then I cleaned up some of the lines and detail (like the fins and stick tape) to "modernize" it to a certain degree. But it's close enough to the original that I wouldn't want to to claim any artistic license over it.

I actually love the color set you're using for this, it fits the location quite well. :)

Archived