Did Anybody Watch Espn...

Brass

Yesterday, Monday May 3rd, ESPN ran a short segment on the Clint Malarchuk cutting his jugular vain on Sportscenter. Why did they do this out of nowhere? I don't know maybe they just needed something to know. In case you don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Listen up.

In the early 90's. The Sabres were playing the Blues. When one of the Blues players and a Sabres guy, went down together, slidding into Malarchuk. The skate blade of the Blues player cut the jugular vain of Malarchuk. He was taken to the hospital, and within 3 weeks of this, was back into net guarding the Sabres goal.

Here's the all the blood that was shed by this throat alone. WARNING: The following material is graphic. If you have a weak stomach, don't bother: http://ceedeerom.bizhosting.com/dek/zone/clintmalarchuk.jpg

Little did I know too, during this incident, in his childhood, and a little after, he was suffering from anxiety and something else also. I believe it was OCD.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Yeah Clint had a problem after this incident and it forced him to retire (he still played after this injury, but it was the anxiety that forced him out of the game a couple of years later)

You gotta wonder what he was thinking as he's watching all of his blood pour onto the ice... i cringe if i knick myself shaving :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I saw it. Wow, I usually don't have a weak stomach, but man...that gives me chills.

I think it was because of Shanahan getting cut by a skate?

hmm? no malarchuk was the one cut by the skate, got him across the neck... i'm not sure who did it tho, but i know they got together afterwards

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Had heard the story before, but never in detail. I thought ESPN did a pretty good job on covering the story, even though it seems kind of random. (Was it the anniversary or something?) Anyway, I have a friend with OCD and I've seen what it puts him through, I can only imagine those struggles being magnified to the level of an NHL goaltender after such a horrifying incident.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Yeah its brutal people like to make a big deal of Theismans leg snapping but this was 1000x worse to see.

It trully is a miracle he lived, I mean wow all that blood and it came out so fast it was a miracle.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Didn't one of the Red Wings have hit face cut by a teammate's skate yesterday? I think it was Dandenault and he went down, and Shanahan skated over his face. I heard it was pretty nasty, but the news article on ESPN said he was patched up and returned to the ice later that game.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I remember reading something about this years ago - I had forgotten about it. I did not know he returned to play that month. Man that's a lot of blood.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I remember hearing about this. Can't show that to Mom...she'll never let me get on the ice anymore! :rolleyes:

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Holy ouch.

What kind of helmet was he wearing? Seems like current goalie brain-buckets would have come odwn a a little further and protected that... or am I thinking of cather's masks with the neck protector hanging down? hmmm..

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

but the news article on ESPN said he was patched up and returned to the ice later that game.

Now that's a hockey player.

BTW, I think the real courage came, when within 3 weeks after this, he came back and made his start against Quebec. That's courage.

what the hell is ccslc?

Holy ouch.

What kind of helmet was he wearing? Seems like current goalie brain-buckets would have come odwn a a little further and protected that... or am I thinking of cather's masks with the neck protector hanging down? hmmm..

Actually he was wearing a standard helmet like the kind all goalies wore back then and today, but he wasn't wearing a plastic shield for his neck. It would of been prevented if he wore one. I think they were invented by then, but not sure.

what the hell is ccslc?

I missed the beginning of the story. I did notice him say to the trainer, "am I going to live?" on the video footage. So how did it happen?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived