MLB Low Crown 59FIFTY Caps

14er

In a thread a few years ago talking about the hat surgery, someone posted that they were scolded by a worker at New Era (I believe) for doing that, saying that the way to make the hat perfect was to wear it in the shower and then blow dry the hat to your head. Has anyone made this work?

I tried last week and messed it up. Of course, I was getting impatient to I used a heat gun instead of a blowdryer. It was one of the new synthetic material caps, and I have heard they don't shrink like the wool ones. To me, the perfect hat is American Needle, where there is a crown on it but it is much lower profile than the NE caps. It is between the normal game caps and the low profile ones.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two low profile New Era caps and I would recommend against them. New Era has horrible quality control, so you have to pick through the caps to begin with. Going to Hatworld, I have often looked through 30 White Sox caps to find one where the bill isn't sewn on crooked and the logo isn't messed up. Apparently, due to the jagged angles in the Sox logo, most of the caps they (poorly) produce have the underneath material which makes the logo 3D sticking out from the white stitching in the corners. I would never again buy a NE cap without looking at it first.

I bought my first low profile cap from NE's website, and it had to be sent back twice because the versions they sent me either had the logo sewn on at a 30 degree angle or the brim crooked. I finally got a hat tha was somewhat manageable. The second low profile cap I got was from AJ Wright, and of course I had to pick through those to find the best one. The fit on both hats is strange and and the quality is very poor. Even on the "acceptable" ones, you can tell by the bend of the brim that the brim isn't centered on the front two panels. I would just do the hat surgery, which I have done before. Although the results aren't great, they are better than the high brim.

I see what you mean about NE caps. When I went to the store to try out some of the different cap sizes, I noticed there were inconsistencies between hats. The same sized hats tended to vary a little in terms of fit; some were snug, while others were a bit loose. I also noticed some shoddy stitching here and there.

Still, since there really aren't many options in town, I pretty much have to order online. Plus, as long as the cap's not in horrible condition, I think I can accept it. I mean, I figure the low crown has to be a better fit overall for my head than the regular 5950, so hopefully I have nothing to lose by ordering online.

In a thread a few years ago talking about the hat surgery, someone posted that they were scolded by a worker at New Era (I believe) for doing that, saying that the way to make the hat perfect was to wear it in the shower and then blow dry the hat to your head. Has anyone made this work?.

That's more or less what I do every spring with my hat, but I shampoo and condition it in addition to soaking it in scalding hot water, then I wear it on my head in the sun for a couple hours. I don't have a blow dryer :(

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Personally, I really like that little bit of extra material left when you remove the backing from a regular-profile 59fifty.

It looks much better than a wet-look low crown to my eye, but it takes all kinds.

My head could also be a weird shape.

Honestly High Crown looks good on many people. I just don't think it does on me. Feel like I'm wearing a billboard on my forehead. I love the fit of the franchise hats and if I could find an "authentic" with that look I'd be very happy.

Personally, I really like that little bit of extra material left when you remove the backing from a regular-profile 59fifty.

It looks much better than a wet-look low crown to my eye, but it takes all kinds.

My head could also be a weird shape.

Honestly High Crown looks good on many people. I just don't think it does on me. Feel like I'm wearing a billboard on my forehead. I love the fit of the franchise hats and if I could find an "authentic" with that look I'd be very happy.

Yeah, my problem with the regular high crown 5950's is the fact that there's just way too much extra room up there. I'm hoping the low-crown will fit better, and with time and wear, I hope it'll fit and look the same as that pic of Ichiro that was posted already (ie, no "puffed out" look upfront).

In a thread a few years ago talking about the hat surgery, someone posted that they were scolded by a worker at New Era (I believe) for doing that, saying that the way to make the hat perfect was to wear it in the shower and then blow dry the hat to your head. Has anyone made this work?.

That's more or less what I do every spring with my hat, but I shampoo and condition it in addition to soaking it in scalding hot water, then I wear it on my head in the sun for a couple hours. I don't have a blow dryer :(

And this works well on the new material caps? I will try that. I had read before that someone boiled their hat, but I forgot to try that. My biggest issue with using a blowdryer/heat gun was that it looked like the seams weren't shrinking like the rest of the cap. That is a big problem because most of the caps have uneven crowns where one seam sticks up higher than the other side.

Oh, and you aren't really missing much with the blow dryer. It works far too slowly, which just makes you want to use a heat gun. The heat gun not only shrunk it unevenly, but one spot was scorched.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Jesus Christ, Blow Dryers and heat guns.....You'll burn yourself with the heat gun first of all. I use that to get the blades off hockey sticks.

I take a hot shower in the cap (wool caps are best for this), then pat it dry on my head, and toss it in a already preheated oven.

Preheat the oven to 200-250 degrees, and leave it in there for a minute or so.

Pull it out, be careful with the metal button on top when putting it on your head.

Bend the brim to your liking (it helps eliminate some of the high crown) and then smash the front two panels to your head.

Let the hat dry on your head if you could, or put it somewhere where it can get a bit drier.

Your done.

I've done this to almost all of my hats, and had no ill results.

Only ones that seem to be a PITA are Polyester ones that were loose to begin with on your head.

ALWAYS try the hat on, I'm a 7 1/4 but I have to get a 7 3/8 sometimes.

Last weekend, I bought a Blue Jays in a 1/4, SD Camo in a 3/8 and had to try on 20 different marlins hats at 3 different stores to find one that fit.

The big issue with the NE caps are the front panels, sometimes they are mis-shaped, which can cause a PITA when you want ti to look right onyour head, and not like a BK Crown.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

This is the best comparison picture I could find. It seems to me that the low crown looks better on smaller guys with thin faces like Ichiro.

80th+MLB+All+Star+Game+Yr_yj5taFbSl.jpg

And here is a good pic of Randy Wolf's low crown:

Oakland+Athletics+v+Los+Angeles+Dodgers+hpW6wgnZEERl.jpg

These two are a couple I'm not sure about. They appear to possibly be low crowns, but the majority of the pictures of Pedroia and Wainwright showed them in the regular high crowns. Maybe it is just the way they bend their bill? Anybody know anything for sure?

shortstop.jpg

420x316-alg_cardinals_adam-wainwright.jpg

Lids used to sell the lower profile caps. I was able to get a few of them back in the day. It seems they only go with the high crowns now. :cursing:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

If that's a sweat stain, Pedroia might be wearing an old cap. You sweat in them, they shrink and get the same kind of effect. Otherwise, it looks like a regular-fit.

Despite what NE claims, the new material still gets sweat stains. I don't know if they get salt line anymore, but you can see sweat spots on my cap because that area is darker.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Lids used to sell the lower profile caps. I was able to get a few of them back in the day. It seems they only go with the high crowns now. :cursing:

Neweracap.com still sell the low crown caps.

Which is great, but thanks to New Era's crappy quality control, I don't like buying fitted hats online. I need to try them on. Some 7s fit a size lower, a size higher, or spot on.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Which is great, but thanks to New Era's crappy quality control, I don't like buying fitted hats online. I need to try them on. Some 7s fit a size lower, a size higher, or spot on.

This. If I could find a place with the low crowns that I could buy in person I would be in heaven. Dont wanna buy online. I tried 3 different 7 1/4's on in Lids once and they all fit differently. Mostly too small, but then I tried a 7 3/8's and it was way too huge.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I totally agree. I never purchase a cap online. I always have to try it on at the store.

Are you still able to buy the Low Pro style?

yeah, but I've never seen them in stores, pretty much have to order them. And if you want to seriously confuse someone, walk into Lids and ask about a low pro 5950.

FSU2.gif

Archived