Points at buzzer count so

PurpleRush

A point that I haven't seen made is the goalie. Anyone's natural reaction when they hear the buzzer is to "stop playing." The goalie naturally relaxes, even if it's just a bit, when the buzzer goes off.

Also, what about a guy taking a shot from 200 ft. away at the end of a game? The goalies reaction would be to celebrate a win, but would have to stand there and wait for the slow moving puck all the way down ice just to make a stop.

The only way for this to work in hockey is either the soccer method (have the ref's decide when to end the game) or a hard finish at the buzzer.

Shootouts would be fine if overtime were longer and teams couldn't sit back and roll the dice on getting the second point in the shootout. You'd see fewer of them because teams would be motivated to win, or not to lose.

12% of all NHL games this season were decided by shootout. That's one in every eight. Too damn many. And I like shootouts!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Shootouts would be fine if overtime were longer and teams couldn't sit back and roll the dice on getting the second point in the shootout. You'd see fewer of them because teams would be motivated to win, or not to lose.

12% of all NHL games this season were decided by shootout. That's one in every eight. Too damn many. And I like shootouts!

Before shootouts, how many games went to OT, and how many were ties? Personally I don't have a problem with regular season ties.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived