NHL Network EPIC FAIL

Top Shelf

IT'S THE END OF THE :censored:ING WORLD!! THE NHL NETWORK MESSED UP!!!

Those were my thoughts. Does it really matter? It's not like they had the Montreal Expos vs. the Houston Oilers or something like that...

Just a simple graphics mix up. Big whoop.

25yzwqg.png

"fail" can only be a noun in very specific contexts. This isn't one of them - the graphic stands.

This TV graphic was just put to a test. I was testing whether the TV graphic could match up 6 team logos with 6 team names on TV. It did not do that successfully. Definition 1: This would be a fail because the standards of performance were not met with any degree of success. Definition 2: The TV graphic receives a fail because it has not passed its test, which was to match up the 6 team logos with the 6 team names.

Two perfectly valid uses of the word fail as a noun. Sure, it sounds dumb when people say epic fail, you and I and tons of other people totally hate it and it could just as easily be used as a verb in the same context every single time, and in fact, yes, that would be preferable, but let's not pretend that it's incorrect to use fail as a noun. It's in multiple dictionaries and is used in multiple ways in those dictionary entries. The graphic says, and I quote, 'FAIL can't be EPIC.' Using the following definition of epic: 'heroic or grand in scale or character,' then yes, a fail can be epic. If putting up a 59% on your math test is a fail, then putting up a 5% might be considered an epic fail because that particular fail would certainly be considered grand in scale or character in many eyes. Thus, the graphic is wrong. Fail can be epic, and that's a fact. Book it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

To throw in my $.02:

Using the term "Fail" as a noun traces its roots to the NeoGeo game "Blazing Star"; after dying in the game, the poorly-translated English version read "YOU FAIL IT!". (A more common parallel to this is "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" from the game "Zero Wing".) The term lay dormant in many gaming and nerd subcultures in the years BRR (Before RickRoll), after which it, along with several other gaming catchphrases and memes from the 4chan boards, became commonplace. Using nouns as verbs is actually a fairly standard form of meme (usually in the vein of many other "Engrish" memes); for example, if someone has trouble performing simple math calculations, a meme to use there would be "learn to math!".

However, as several have noted earlier, the use of the word "fail" as a noun is not without precedent outside of memes. For example, the following phrase is grammatically sound: "I do well in that Calculus exam, so I'm taking it as pass/fail".

So to use the parlance of our times: That graphic from the first post is, indeed, an epic fail.

galaxy.png

failisaverb2.gif

I hate 'epic fail' as much as anybody, but 'fail' is, in fact, a noun as well, as in, 'He received a fail on his midterm exam.' Look it up. It's in every dictionary.

Don't encourage people :P

You are right that "Fail" can be a noun but the term "Epic Fail" besides being really annoying is still grammatically incorrect. It can be an "Epic Failure" but not an "Epic Fail."

Dictionary.com lists it as obsolete, but it is there:

Fail n.

14. (Obsolete) failure as to performance, occurrence, etc.

The mac dictionary also has it:

Fail n.

a grade that is not high enough to pass an examination or test.

You've just counter-failed, and the graphic has not won, because it is incorrect.

So, not real dictionaries...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Archived