2011-12 soccer kits

Saintsfan

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like everything besides the extra white on the shoulders and shorts. And I'll get this out of the way now and not comment about it in the rest of the thread, :censored: adidas for putting their three stripes across every shirt. The logo on the chest is fine, but they have to throw their stripes on every shirt and every pair of shorts.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Kinda curious, but when did the whole sponsors-on-soccer-uniforms thing start/really take off? I remember when I was a kid and was just introduced to international soccer, I seriously thought those sponsor names on the front of the uni were the actual team names lol.

I read an article on this in FourFourTwo a few years ago on a flight back home from London. Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:

In a Southern League game against Bath City on 24 January 1976, Kettering became the first British club to play with a sponsor's name printed on their shirts after signing a deal with local firm Kettering Tyres. The deal was brokered by chief executive and manager Derek Dougan. Four days later, The Football Association ordered the club to remove the slogan, but Dougan changed the words on the shirts to "Kettering T", and claimed that the T stood for "Town". Nonetheless, the FA ordered the club to remove the words, which the club did due to the threat of a £1,000 fine. Shirt sponsorship was eventually legalised within the English game in 1977. Kettering are also the first ever British team to have their initials on their ground's floodlights.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Newcastle_11_12_Home_Nike_leaked_1.jpg

Not liking these at all...Puma has officially ruined Newcastle's kits

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I read an article on this in FourFourTwo a few years ago on a flight back home from London. Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:

In a Southern League game against Bath City on 24 January 1976, Kettering became the first British club to play with a sponsor's name printed on their shirts after signing a deal with local firm Kettering Tyres. The deal was brokered by chief executive and manager Derek Dougan. Four days later, The Football Association ordered the club to remove the slogan, but Dougan changed the words on the shirts to "Kettering T", and claimed that the T stood for "Town". Nonetheless, the FA ordered the club to remove the words, which the club did due to the threat of a £1,000 fine. Shirt sponsorship was eventually legalised within the English game in 1977. Kettering are also the first ever British team to have their initials on their ground's floodlights.

Interesting. Thanks for shedding some light on that.

My God. They had such beauties, what the hell happened!

Puma happened.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

My God. They had such beauties, what the hell happened!

Puma happened.

I prefer this season's Puma Newcastle Kits to next season's, but still prefer either of them to their adidas kits from last year.

Archived