2011-12 soccer kits

Saintsfan

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it means another team gets rid of those damned Adidas stripes all over the place, I fully welcome this news.

That said, as a United fan, I'd hate to see Liverpool have that big a deal for their kits.

I'm sure Nike will be sure to up their sponsorship when the current deal runs out. I'm just wondering if the owners are trying to slide Standard Chartered out as shirt sponsors too.How long does that deal run?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

It's what adidas does. My point is it's no different aesthetically from some of the other embellishments on US sports equipment.

I'd largely disagree. With almost every professional US team (and most major European soccer teams, outside of those using Adidas), those embellishments are pretty team-specific. For instance, the Rangers (NY, that is, not Glasgow or Texas) have their own striping pattern, as do the Blackhawks, the Canadiens, etc. The Steelers have a recognizable striping pattern, as do the Cowboys, the Jets, etc. The stripes aren't standard across all teams wearing uniforms by that manufacturer, and aren't advertising that manufacturer. There's a gigantic difference in purpose (and look) between the stripes on, say, the Toronto Maple Leafs' uniform, and those found on Liverpool's uniform.

Now, obviously there are cases where a manufacturer creates a template and puts a bunch of extraneous lines on a uniform as a result (for instance, Bettman stripes). I generally don't like those to begin with, but they're also templates that change over time and aren't based on the logo of the manufacturer.

If Nike started putting a giant swoosh up the arms of players, from the end of the sleeve to the collar, that'd be akin to what Adidas does with the three stripes. But that's obviously not happening, and would be rightfully lambasted if it did.

Remember that most uniform trademarks/copyright belongs to leagues in the US. In europe those typically remain with the manufacturer. Take a look at NBA on court attire. The team uniform has no three stripes, the shooting jerseys and benchwear have them everywhere.

And those shooting jerseys often look godawful (take a look at the new NBA thread for what that gear will look like next season - talk about three stripes overload, it's hideous). But there's also a difference between putting it on warmup gear and putting it on the team's actual uniforms. As I said earlier, perhaps just having the three stripes on warmup gear would be a nice compromise.

(BTW, if the three stripes ever found their way to NBA uniforms, I'd throw a fit.)

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

NBA teams have more control over their uniform options. Notice that adidas pretty much rolls out a new basketball jersey every year that everyone of their schools has to use. College football seems to have more control as well, save for sideline gear which is the same for all sports. I don't really mind the 3 stripes except when they bring down a kit instead of improving it. Look at Columbus Crew's first unis. They snuck the three stripes in as shoulder stripes and no one really notices unless they are looking for them. Same for Kansas City Wiz. But now, every thing has the theree stripes on it and now they stuck Seattle Sounders and the All Star team with those horrid sports bras

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

College teams (all sports) have just as much control over what they wear just they want to try to keep up with the Jones' for recruiting.

Not that its the way it should be, it's the way it is though...

The three stripes should be reserved for specific clubs, kinda like nike elite. Some teams, like liverpool, just look right with them. Others are ruined. Timbers would be near flawless if they didn't have them. Having the sleeves a contrasting color should have never been suggested when you have to fill 1/3 with the body color just to cram your damn stripes.

Why is that Arse wearing a Prem patch and Community Shield patch? They won't win either one next year. One because they are Arsenal and the other because it'll be the FA Cup champ versus Manchester United. I really don't like these shirts since they ditched the current badge. Any idea what the wording underneath teh crest is in reference to?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived