2011-12 soccer kits

Saintsfan

How come soccer uniforms are called "kits"?

Kit means: "to outfit" or "to equip" mostly used in British slang. So really what you are saying is "that's the club's outfit" or "that's the club's equipment".

When you use the term "kit" it is actually in reference to the entire uniform. Shorts and socks included.

"Strip" is generally just the jersey.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just part of the jargon, like how a soccer field is traditionally referred to as the "pitch."

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Kit means: "to outfit" or "to equip" mostly used in British slang. So really what you are saying is "that's the club's outfit" or "that's the club's equipment".

When you use the term "kit" it is actually in reference to the entire uniform. Shorts and socks included.

Actually strip generally refers to the whole thing, shirts, shorts and socks, as well.

Kit means the equipment you need to do something, I guess 'kit' came into usage as the only equipment you needed was a ball, and the clothes you wear, as opposed to needing bats or pads or raquets or whatever else.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I'm not familiar with Inter's 'proper' or 'traditional' change colors, but from an outsider's perspective, I love that shirt. I love the sleeve stripes and I think the red-orange color looks great with the blue and black.

Red's the color of their archrival, AC Milan (though Milan's red is significantly less orange-y than that).

That stuff doesn't seem to matter anymore. Man City's clash kit is red and black. etc....

And Man Utd.'s is blue and black, etc.

spacer.png

Some confusion here with the USMNT's due to be released home kit.

ussoccerstore.com finally has the items up live on their site, without pictures or the ability to purchase. Just like last time with the away jersey. However, there are two products listed as the "home" jersey. One is listed as "home jersey 2". However, both of these pieces are at the same price point, so it's not as if one is a player issue spec.

http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m113112ab.html

http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m113112ac.html

http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m423812aa.html

Side note- no new shorts found on the site. This reinforces the notion that the navy blue shorts are the go-to shorts for both home and away matches (as listed in the Nike spring 12 catalog). I'd expect at some point for some plain white shorts to become available as alts for color clashes. No colorways could be determined about the socks. Personally, I'm hoping for more hoops to match the shirt, though I don't expect it.

EDIT***- the authentic version will be available.

http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m113112aa.html

However, the question still lingers about "home jersey 1" and "home jersey 2"!

EDIT 2***- the socks looking to be plain white. Denoted with color code "100" which is of the white family for Nike.

http://www.todofut.com/us00m423812aa.html

EDIT 3***- AHA!!! I have figured it out! And I know I keep expanding my own post here, but I'm trying to be considerate by not adding multiple new posts every time I discover something new. So...back on track.

I've figured out the "home jersey 2". Nike is creating two "different" home replica jerseys. They'll look nearly identical but the difference will be for number customizations. If you're a guy that just wants the basic jersey, you'll get this one which will look like this:

USA12final.jpg

If you want to add a name and number to your shirt, you'll order this one, which will be a replica version of this with the same white spaces:

10xesds.jpg

USA_2012_JERSEY_3.jpg

This theory is supported by a soccerpro.com page which lists the same "home jersey 2" (with matching product and color ID) as "for names 2012".

http://www.soccerpro.com/index/page/product/product_id/12923/product_name/Nike+USA+Home+Jersey+-+For+Names+2012

This could get messy. US Soccer would be wise to COMPLETELY not offer names or numbers on "home jersey 1" to minimize confusion and irritated customers. However, I like the concept here. In the past, it's been only way or the other. The 2006 USA away jersey was only offered with the gap for the numbers on the front. Other instances has seen Nike apply the number on a square with matching jersey color to "simulate" the gap for the number.

Live chat support said they are supposed to be made available in mid April.

Does anyone have an idea as to when we might see the new Under Armour kits for Tottenham Hotspur?

Not until the season is over. Under Armour won't release anything official until Puma's contract is done. You might get sone kind of leak, but not usually when it involves a change of manufacturer. Teams often debut their new kit in the last game or two of the EPL season, but again not usually if if involves a change of manufacturer.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Not true. Newcastle and Wigan have previously played in kits of new sponsors on the final home game of the season. But since we've heard nothing from Warrior or UA I would expect nothing coming out until the US tours for Spurs and Liverpool.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Actually strip generally refers to the whole thing, shirts, shorts and socks, as well..

Yes.

In England, when speaking of the jersey alone, one calls it a "shirt".

Not true. Newcastle and Wigan have previously played in kits of new sponsors on the final home game of the season. But since we've heard nothing from Warrior or UA I would expect nothing coming out until the US tours for Spurs and Liverpool.

I didn't say it never happens. Generally though it requires generosity from the current supplier.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Everton have just signed a new deal with Nike for the next 3 seasons. Apparently its going to be a unique kit and not based on a template.

That should be good news. I've really like what Nike's been coming out with recently and a team like Everton deserves not to be on a template. Is that deal starting next year or later down the road.

And I like that the US home kit will be available with and without the number box. I originally thought they'd just have one version and I'd have to get a player on it for it not to look horrible. I'll probably still get it customized, but it's a nice option for people that don't want to.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Everton have just signed a new deal with Nike for the next 3 seasons. Apparently its going to be a unique kit and not based on a template.

That should be good news. I've really like what Nike's been coming out with recently and a team like Everton deserves not to be on a template. Is that deal starting next year or later down the road.

And I like that the US home kit will be available with and without the number box. I originally thought they'd just have one version and I'd have to get a player on it for it not to look horrible. I'll probably still get it customized, but it's a nice option for people that don't want to.

The deal starts from next season. the home kit though is expected to be worn the last game of the current season.

I hope they come up with a few good kits. The Le Coq Sportif home ones have been some of the best we've had (if you ignore the pink kits) Also hopefully we will get more media and promotional opportunities now we are with Nike, but i doubt that one with the amount of teams they have, thats why i'd have preferred Umbro.

logo.png

Actually, it looks as though Great Britain were wearing Adidas in Moscow:

image.jpg

Note the non adidas shorts (thats a company called Bukta).

Also note the lack of logos on these tracksuits

coe-ovett-audio.jpg

And these vests

coeovettcram.JPG

The best explanation I can come up with is that the BOA didn't supply olympic kit until 1984, and that the athletes wore kit supplied by the seperate sports on other occasions. The British track team seem to have supplied vests, and at some point there was a crossover between some other manufacturer (possibly bukta!) and adidas.

Steve Cram explains further here.

In 1982 I won my first gold medal at senior level at the European Championships. In those days the team kit had always been Adidas, but there were no contracts in place. Federations were just happy if they had the kit given to them.

Because there was no set contract in place when I ran in the final in Athens, Nike, whom I was contracted to, came up with this slightly newer material vest with mesh rather than cotton. And I decided to wear it in the 1500m final. It was exactly the same - we just used to have a straight blue and a red bar across on a white vest, so it didn't look any different apart from the Nike swoosh rather than Adidas' three stripes.

I won my gold medal, which was great, but there was absolute hell afterwards. I think the headline on one of the back pages was 'Cram in gold vest row'. I couldn't give a rip to be honest; I just wore a vest.

I was a Nike contracted athlete but I didn't benefit financially from wearing it. It was just a more comfortable vest at the time. I didn't realise it was a big issue - I didn't want to win my first gold medal and have people talking about my vest rather than my run.

At the first Games I went to we were given a full suitcase, including athletic kit and smart clothes. It was 1978 and I was a little bit into punk and I was wearing drainpipe jeans. And there was this red crinkly flared leisure tracksuit; flares had gone out two or three years before. I was told I had to wear this to travel in, and of course I accidentally forgot mine.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Some confusion here with the USMNT's due to be released home kit.

ussoccerstore.com finally has the items up live on their site, without pictures or the ability to purchase. Just like last time with the away jersey. However, there are two products listed as the "home" jersey. One is listed as "home jersey 2". However, both of these pieces are at the same price point, so it's not as if one is a player issue spec.

http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m113112ab.html

http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m113112ac.html

http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m423812aa.html

Side note- no new shorts found on the site. This reinforces the notion that the navy blue shorts are the go-to shorts for both home and away matches (as listed in the Nike spring 12 catalog). I'd expect at some point for some plain white shorts to become available as alts for color clashes. No colorways could be determined about the socks. Personally, I'm hoping for more hoops to match the shirt, though I don't expect it.

EDIT***- the authentic version will be available.

http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00m113112aa.html

However, the question still lingers about "home jersey 1" and "home jersey 2"!

EDIT 2***- the socks looking to be plain white. Denoted with color code "100" which is of the white family for Nike.

http://www.todofut.com/us00m423812aa.html

EDIT 3***- AHA!!! I have figured it out! And I know I keep expanding my own post here, but I'm trying to be considerate by not adding multiple new posts every time I discover something new. So...back on track.

I've figured out the "home jersey 2". Nike is creating two "different" home replica jerseys. They'll look nearly identical but the difference will be for number customizations. If you're a guy that just wants the basic jersey, you'll get this one which will look like this:

If you want to add a name and number to your shirt, you'll order this one, which will be a replica version of this with the same white spaces:

This theory is supported by a soccerpro.com page which lists the same "home jersey 2" (with matching product and color ID) as "for names 2012".

http://www.soccerpro.com/index/page/product/product_id/12923/product_name/Nike+USA+Home+Jersey+-+For+Names+2012

This could get messy. US Soccer would be wise to COMPLETELY not offer names or numbers on "home jersey 1" to minimize confusion and irritated customers. However, I like the concept here. In the past, it's been only way or the other. The 2006 USA away jersey was only offered with the gap for the numbers on the front. Other instances has seen Nike apply the number on a square with matching jersey color to "simulate" the gap for the number.

Live chat support said they are supposed to be made available in mid April.

Hmm. This may make it tough to decide which one to buy. I always buy authentic if I can, and I have never bought a soccer shirt with someone's number on it, but I am not sure that one of these would look very good with no number.

Nice. They have been my 2nd favorite team to watch this season.

Hmm. This may make it tough to decide which one to buy. I always buy authentic if I can, and I have never bought a soccer shirt with someone's number on it, but I am not sure that one of these would look very good with no number.

The good news for you is that the USMNT players no longer have permanent numbers or nameplates--the starters are assigned numbers based on position, so you can choose the number of your favorite position.

I'm not really sure which country this traditional system comes from (Germany or possibly Holland I suppose), but it's definitely not England.

1 - G

2 - RB

3 - LB

4 - RCB

5 - LCB

6 - RDM

7 - RW

8 - LDM

9 - S

10 - CAM

11 - LW

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The good news for you is that the USMNT players no longer have permanent numbers or nameplates--the starters are assigned numbers based on position, so you can choose the number of your favorite position.

I'm not really sure which country this traditional system comes from (Germany or possibly Holland I suppose), but it's definitely not England.

1 - G

2 - RB

3 - LB

4 - RCB

5 - LCB

6 - RDM

7 - RW

8 - LDM

9 - S

10 - CAM

11 - LW

I figured JK would only do that until the WC or some important games.

Archived