2011-12 soccer kits

Saintsfan

I'm not really sure which country this traditional system comes from (Germany or possibly Holland I suppose), but it's definitely not England.

Pretty sure it was Herbert Chapman who intruduced the first numbering system while at Arsenal in the early 1930s.

I seem to recall something about that during the retrospective of his career a few seasons back.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could get messy. US Soccer would be wise to COMPLETELY not offer names or numbers on "home jersey 1" to minimize confusion and irritated customers. However, I like the concept here. In the past, it's been only way or the other. The 2006 USA away jersey was only offered with the gap for the numbers on the front. Other instances has seen Nike apply the number on a square with matching jersey color to "simulate" the gap for the number.

Hmm. This may make it tough to decide which one to buy. I always buy authentic if I can, and I have never bought a soccer shirt with someone's number on it, but I am not sure that one of these would look very good with no number.

The good news for you is that the USMNT players no longer have permanent numbers or nameplates--the starters are assigned numbers based on position, so you can choose the number of your favorite position.

I'm not really sure which country this traditional system comes from (Germany or possibly Holland I suppose), but it's definitely not England.

1 - G

2 - RB

3 - LB

4 - RCB

5 - LCB

6 - RDM

7 - RW

8 - LDM

9 - S

10 - CAM

11 - LW

I figured JK would only do that until the WC or some important games.

Fairly certain that JK will have nameplates added (if not numbers switched) for WC qualifying.

patriotssignature.png

I'd guess that the players will be able to pick their numbers and have names added for at least the World Cup, if not for qualifying too. I did a real quick search and it looks like Germany had starters wearing numbers higher than 11 during the World Cup and of course had names.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

1994 was the first time teams at the World Cup were allowed to have names on the jersey. But there was no rule against numbers other than they could be no higher than 23. That's the only reason TIM Howard wears 1.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If i'm not mistaken, he had a Q&A session on twitter and said that this was until qualifiers. I think the whole reason fro introducing the system was to help everyone be more disciplined position wise and also something about earning a starting spot.

During World Cup finals each player keeps the same number through the whole tournament even though some team like the Netherlands try to give numbers 1-11 to the players from the starting lineup (which of course changes due to bookings, injuries etc.). The others like Germany keep the same numbers for years, e.g. Philipp Lahm uses 16 even though he's become the captain.

23-player squads were first introduced in 2002, before there were 22 players on each team.

During World Cup finals each player keeps the same number through the whole tournament even though some team like the Netherlands try to give numbers 1-11 to the players from the starting lineup (which of course changes due to bookings, injuries etc.). The others like Germany keep the same numbers for years, e.g. Philipp Lahm uses 16 even though he's become the captain.

23-player squads were first introduced in 2002, before there were 22 players on each team.

Squad numbers for major finals have no major rules. One year, I think it might even have been when they won in 1978, Argentina were numbered in alphabetical order, so midfielder Ossie Ardiles wore 1. Some players have 'lucky 'numbers or become widely associated with a squad number (Johan Cruyff and 14 is the most famous example, even though he only played in one major tournament). Within the confines of 1-22 (or 23 now), federations/teams can do pretty much what they like.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The person filling the protocol for the Polish squad at 1974 WC was not very precise. He put the order number in front of each player name and the squad number afterwards. The first numbers were taken by FIFA though so our goalkeepers used 1-3, defenders 4-10, midfielders 11-14 and forwards 15-22. It still looks weird when watching archival footage and seeing our goalkeeper playing with "2".

Piggybacking on this, players on the US squad under Bruce Arena would have their own usual numbers. hence Claudio Reyna wearing 10, JoeMax Moore wearing 9, Kasey Keller in 18, DaMarcus Beasley in 7. When players such as Landon Donovan, who's preference was to wear 10, joined the squad, preferred numbers were doled out based on seniority. So Landon would often wear 21 if Claudio was on the same squad.

patriotssignature.png

Pretty sure it was Herbert Chapman who intruduced the first numbering system while at Arsenal in the early 1930s.

I seem to recall something about that during the retrospective of his career a few seasons back.

From what I understand, the traditional English numbering (based on a 4-4-2) is--not sure who actually introduced it:

1 - G

2 - RB

3 - LB

4 - CM (more holding)

5 - RCB

6 - LCB

7 - RM

8 - CM (more attacking)

9 - S

10 - F/CAM

11 - LM

Piggybacking on this, players on the US squad under Bruce Arena would have their own usual numbers. hence Claudio Reyna wearing 10, JoeMax Moore wearing 9, Kasey Keller in 18, DaMarcus Beasley in 7. When players such as Landon Donovan, who's preference was to wear 10, joined the squad, preferred numbers were doled out based on seniority. So Landon would often wear 21 if Claudio was on the same squad.

Brian McBride #20

Seniority also seemed to be the system under Bradley, so the regulars always had the same numbers in qualifiers and friendlies. That why it's been so weird to see players in something other than their usual numbers (Bocanegra 3, Bradley 4, Cherundolo 6, Dempsey 8).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

From what I understand, the traditional English numbering (based on a 4-4-2) is--not sure who actually introduced it:

1 - G

2 - RB

3 - LB

4 - CM (more holding)

5 - RCB

6 - LCB

7 - RM

8 - CM (more attacking)

9 - S

10 - F/CAM

11 - LM

That's pretty close. 4 has sometimes been a midfielder, sometimes centerback, same with 6, but that's pretty close to the traditional 1-11.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I must say, I highly respect the Rowdies for their continued stance that they won't deviate much from their standard look. Subtle changes here and there have led to them building up some value in their brand. However, I must say... they do need some slightly new templates or materials to distinguish the looks from year to year. It's not creating much of an incentive for me to buy one (seeing as I already have last year's green).

Literally every kit they've had has been the same template, the same material, the same striping style, same collar, etc. It would be nice if they were to occasionally change it slightly. They could make small changes without drastically changing the look. Yet it would give consumers incentives to buy the new one. For example, put a real collar on there, go with a crew neck, add collar trim, slightly readjust the hoops, change the physical cut/template of the shirt's seams, etc.

As it stands, they're continually churning out literally the same garment with minuscule adjustments. I want to buy the stuff, but I can't justify the ever so small changes when it's practically the exact same piece.

Here are the last two year's kits for comparison. LITERALLY the same templates, collar, everything. Give me SOMETHING to justify the new merch!

Year 1 as FC Tampa Bay

blog_rowdies_kit_designs.jpg

Year 2 as FC Tampa Bay (I own the green)

MerchRelease_StoryImage5332.jpg

Archived