BYU tells Jimmer to complete courses online

Milo Meningocele

:o Oh, wow. It does kind of make sense though...

No, like I said, the school can practice some institutional control. Students at any level are expected to maintain a certain standard of behavior, and this should be no different. Also like I said, star athletes are in classes on every campus. They're student athletes, it's part of the deal. If others can't handle it, they're actually the disruption, and the ones that should be dealt with. College sports are already corrupt and not at all what they should be. Do we set this precedent, and push it even further down the slippery slope?

That's funny. I really don't understand it either. Is he that much of a distraction to the point where BYU feels that he is taking away from the overall learning environment?

I guess they just do things differently out in BYU. You can be off the basketball team for having sex with your girlfriend, and not have to go to class if your too popular. Doesen't make much sense to me, but maybe its not supposed to.

Doesn't BYU pride itself on its students' self-discipline? Now all of a sudden, the Cougar star :censored: ers can't control themselves?

You stole my post

That's not necessarily true. Their leaking of several teams' financial documents was a watershed moment, and they've had plenty of other non-TMZ-esque big stories.

On topic: that's ridiculous, but I'm sure it happens more often than we'd think.

I remember an article about Greg Oden in Sports Illustrated back when he was still at Ohio State. He said that he got recognized whhen he was out and about on campus (he does kinda stand out, at 7 feet tall and looking like he's 40 years old) and that he "got so many Facebook friend requests that it flashed infinity" , but it didn't say anything about him getting mobbed in class or being forced to take hs courses online.

Just a random about Jimmer, has he done his mission yet?

http://deadspin.com/#!5791461/the-truth-about-race-religion-and-the-honor-code-at-byu

Pretty good longform piece on BYU and their honor code. Unfortunately, 90% of Deadspin's output is piddling crap, the very "I caught u drinking" that this very article essentially rails against, but this is a good read.

Yea, this article is certainly piddling. The only thing said about white students breaking the honor code and having it covered up by the school is word-of-mouth; there are no reports on it. Yet the author takes it as fact and runs with it.

While it's true that I do see 4 minority men who have been suspended (the 3 listed there plus Brandon Davies), I also see in all 4 cases a violation of the honor code: Forced sex, oral sex, children out of wedlock. While it's true that this is "Happy Valley, Utah" and that the average person there has a tendency to "spy" (or tattle-tale) on people who either look different or behave differently, I won't hold the school itself responsible for covering up any similar situations with white players. Until I hear the school actively hiding any allegations of a white player doing the same thing, I am not convinced. Otherwise, the honor code is the honor code and I would expect the school to uphold it in all cases.

In all cases? Admirable. But the math suggests that's not happening.

Do you really think that black athletes break the honor code more than whites, in such large numbers? They certainly are being punished at a rate far above their representation at the school.

As far as the "children out of wedlock", he had the kid before he went to BYU. Seems kind of odd for them to focus on it now.

Given the Mormon Church's shameful history with African-Americans, it wouldn't surprise me if the honor code is being unevenly applied.

In all cases? Admirable. But the math suggests that's not happening.

Do you really think that black athletes break the honor code more than whites, in such large numbers? They certainly are being punished at a rate far above their representation at the school.

As far as the "children out of wedlock", he had the kid before he went to BYU. Seems kind of odd for them to focus on it now.

Given the Mormon Church's shameful history with African-Americans, it wouldn't surprise me if the honor code is being unevenly applied.

What a two-faced university...not just for the honor code enforcement, but for also for making Jimmer finish his coursework online.

You know what, I wouldn't know for sure on things such as wedlock and why it happened. Didn't the whole wedlock thing happen in 2004-2005ish?

Look, I've never attended BYU, nor do I have any serious plan on going there, so I myself couldn't tell you how things work down there (I'm at Utah State). But one thing I notice often (and not always), that whenever something controversial is discussed concerning BYU or the LDS (Mormon) Church, only one side of the issue is covered. Rarely do I hear the authors of these kinds of articles show the other side of the story. Aren't there 2 sides to every story? Is every suspension dealing with BYU athletes widely publicized?

If you're going to publish a report like this, wouldn't you think to include all sides of the story instead of picking out the part that fits your argument?

If if helps, KZNS 1280 The Zone (on the front page) in Salt Lake City (I believe) has interviewed former BYU RB Curtis Brown, former Cougar (and current Ram) Bryan Kehl, and Darron Smith (who co-wrote the article and was a former professor at BYU). If you have 30-45 minutes 1 1/2 hours to listen to all 3, I would suggest that you do; all 3 provide more insight that I ever could (though Bill Bellamy provides a bit of a distraction in the Bryan Kehl).

Yes, there are two sides to every story. But that doesn't make the allegations any less plausible.

Again, do you think BYU's math adds up? Especially in light of the Church's overtly racist history (and let's not kid ourselves about that)?

Yes, there are two sides to every story. But that doesn't make the allegations any less plausible.

Again, do you think BYU's math adds up? Especially in light of the Church's overtly racist history (and let's not kid ourselves about that)?

What do you know about BYU or the church besides what someone else has told you or what the media has told you? Instead of making inflammatory statements towards a group of people, maybe you should try and get to know them and understand them and their side. What's different between you ripping on a group of people and their beliefs and someone being a racist? Nothing. Because you don't know anything about them and you refuse to get to know them and try and understand them.

Archived