Padres-Bring Back the Brown Campaign

ashbob

*Sigh* I feel these are the most overrated uniforms in all of sports. To me, the brown and gold look doesn't look good. It looks better with orange (see: Cleveland Browns), but I feel with the Padres, the scheme they got right now's the best they've ever had. Their 90's navy and orange look would also be better than the brown/gold look

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Sigh* I feel these are the most overrated uniforms in all of sports. To me, the brown and gold look doesn't look good. It looks better with orange (see: Cleveland Browns), but I feel with the Padres, the scheme they got right now's the best they've ever had. Their 90's navy and orange look would also be better than the brown/gold look

I agree. I would also say it makes more sense for teams in San Diego to emphasize navy than any other city.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that doesn't want the Padres to return to brown. It seems like the majority of people out there want them to, but it makes me happy to see that there are still plenty of people who haven't lost their senses. IMO the Padres have never looked better than they do now, aside from getting rid of the sand uniforms of course. I think the colors really represent San Diego well and the home uniforms are very traditional and classy looking. The alternate jerseys are really sharp as well! And another thing is that brown uniforms wouldn't really fit in at Petco Park, they would look out of place. With all of the navy blue and sand there, the uniforms they have now fit in perfectly.

I don't know - the original Padres unis in brown and gold weren't bad; these were worn in the '69 regular season, '70, and '71 (although if you believe Dressed to the Nines/Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century they wore a yellow cap on the road in 1971; I don't remember, I was only 9 in '71):

nl_1970_sandiego.gif

Actually the current set would work if you swapped in brown with gold trem for the blue logos.

A modern update on this look would be ideal. I hate unique for the sake of being unique, but this just looks awesome. Very appropriate for a team called the Padres, too. I don't like the 80's brown and gold set that everyone references, like what Tucson used. That is way to dated, but the original could easily be brought back with some updates.

Nobody is saying that uniqueness automatically makes something good. Geez, why do people always make leaps like that in these discussions? People are saying that it looks good, and on top of that is unique. Plus the brown is at least related to the name of the team.

Ummm, you might want to take a peek at the college football thread.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Nobody is saying that uniqueness automatically makes something good. Geez, why do people always make leaps like that in these discussions? People are saying that it looks good, and on top of that is unique. Plus the brown is at least related to the name of the team.

Because in no universe are the uniforms most often associated with the Padres being brown (the 1984 WS era uniforms), good looking. If a person thinks they are, they automatically have bad taste in my view (or have an unhealthy obsession with the Disco Era). Because the only redeeming quality that uniform had was that they stopped wearing it. That said brown and yellow wouldn't be TERRIBLE if it was done like the 69 uniforms. But frankly it's a waste since the current uniform is quite classy on it's own, and the current color scheme (sand and sea) represent San Diego far better than yellow and brown (not to mention it matches the stadium and a team that is so tied to the Navy wearing navy blue just makes too much sense). If there is too much blue in the league someone else can change...

Because in no universe are the uniforms most often associated with the Padres being brown (the 1984 WS era uniforms), good looking. If a person thinks they are, they automatically have bad taste in my view (or have an unhealthy obsession with the Disco Era). Because the only redeeming quality that uniform had was that they stopped wearing it. That said brown and yellow wouldn't be TERRIBLE if it was done like the 69 uniforms. But frankly it's a waste since the current uniform is quite classy on it's own, and the current color scheme (sand and sea) represent San Diego far better than yellow and brown (not to mention it matches the stadium and a team that is so tied to the Navy wearing navy blue just makes too much sense). If there is too much blue in the league someone else can change...

I think when you make a statement that a large group of folks on this board disagree with... at least when you make it this strongly... you might consider dropping in a few more "in my opinions" here and there.

Those brown and gold unis from the 60's (posted above) are beautiful. Period.

I think when you make a statement that a large group of folks on this board disagree with... at least when you make it this strongly... you might consider dropping in a few more "in my opinions" here and there.

Those brown and gold unis from the 60's (posted above) are beautiful. Period.

Might want to check what you were reading again, I actually said the 69 uniform wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. And I said the highlighted part was in my view (a view many on this board also share based on responses in this thread). If you want to call me a jackass for my statement I'm just as justified for saying a lack of reading comprehension would make a person an idiot...

In my opinion.

The current Padres set isn't classy. It's gimmicky.

That gimmick being?

The navy blue that matches the color of the bay that is the life blood of the city? The sand of the beaches so often associated with San Diego and the cliffs of Del Mar (not to mention the stadium itself)? The navy blue which ties the team even more to the Navy they so actively support?

The current Padres set isn't classy. It's gimmicky.

That gimmick being?

The navy blue that matches the color of the bay that is the life blood of the city? The sand of the beaches so often associated with San Diego and the cliffs of Del Mar (not to mention the stadium itself)? The navy blue which ties the team even more to the Navy they so actively support?

Gimmicky since the team name is the PADRES not the waves or sand or Navy... the PADRES.

The waves, man.

Waves? In the script logo? There are waves in the ocean.

But I'll grant you that MIGHT be a bit gimmicky. The Blue and Sand are probably enough though...

Navy and sand matches San Diego. Brown matches Padres. What's the difference? It's a choice of which to represent more. Many teams use the Navy, which is really what dominates their current set. I like it, but the brown and yellow is a case of unique actually being an improvement and looking good. And just about everybody in this thread (not saying the whole boards) has preferred the original set over the 80's crap.

I like most of the current San Diego stuff. It's smooth and cool, like San Diego. The original brown and yellow stuff was okay, the stuff in the middle was horrible, and the navy and orange from the '90s was milquetoast and stupid and best not mentioned every again, but for the most part they've come up with something pretty neat. It could still use some tweaks, especially on the road, but it's a good modern uniform. We do, after all, need a modern-looking identity or two somewhere in the majors.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived