Padres-Bring Back the Brown Campaign

ashbob

I like most of the current San Diego stuff. It's smooth and cool, like San Diego. The original brown and yellow stuff was okay, the stuff in the middle was horrible, and the navy and orange from the '90s was milquetoast and stupid and best not mentioned every again, but for the most part they've come up with something pretty neat. It could still use some tweaks, especially on the road, but it's a good modern uniform. We do, after all, need a modern-looking identity or two somewhere in the majors.

I assumed this was Tampa Bay's niche to fill, until it wasn't.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The waves, man.

Waves? In the script logo? There are waves in the ocean.

But I'll grant you that MIGHT be a bit gimmicky. The Blue and Sand are probably enough though...

Navy and sand matches San Diego. Brown matches Padres. What's the difference? It's a choice of which to represent more. Many teams use the Navy, which is really what dominates their current set. I like it, but the brown and yellow is a case of unique actually being an improvement and looking good. And just about everybody in this thread (not saying the whole boards) has preferred the original set over the 80's crap.

Actually it's a fallacy that only brown matches a padre... Franciscan friars (the order most associated with California due to the missions) are actually known as the "grey friars", though they do also wear dark brown, black and white (in warmer locals). Dominican friars (the order who ran the Baja California missions) generally wear black over white. Augustinians wear generally wear grey. Carmelites wear white over brown. And those are just the 4 main orders of friars.

So in reality, brown is not the color of friars, it's just one of many. So if anything the current spread of uniforms are perfect in matching a large swath of San Diego and her history. The white home unis match one of the many robes the Franciscans wear, plus the accents like the navy blue home unis with sand accents match the ocean, sand, cliffs, and Navy so intimately tied to SD. The grey away's are tied to the Franciscan friars so intimately tied to the history of the city and the team's name. The Marines Sunday uniform is a direct homage to the Marine Corp and the military the Padres support better than any other franchise in sports.

Brown by comparison would tie into the Padres name, but honoring the Carmelites who had nothing to do with California or the city of San Diego more than it would the "grey friars". Not sure what yellow would honor... the dead grass on the hills in summer? Orange could honor the glow of a sunset I guess, but it could just as easily honor the eerie glow in the sky every time SD has had a massive wildfire...

Brown/Orange > Brown/Yellow

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

These look sweet to me.

padresyellow_display_image.jpg?1283585029

This looks good, and more importantly, it looks like the Padres. THAT is what is important in sports. Can you tell what team a guy supports when you are behind him and you see a grey jersey with navy numbers and a navy cap? HELL NO you cant. Can you tell what team he supports if the jersey was sand with a brown number outlines in yellow and a brown cap? I bet you'd know from 200 yards.

The Padres are brown and yellow. The current uniform set looks like a class AAA team in San Diego called the Clippers or the Waves, or the Tide.

Uniqueness doesn't make a design GOOD, but uniqueness in color palate is highly important in allowing fans to stand out. Good design plus distinctive colors is the holy grail, and I think looking more like 1969 Padres would be a step in the right direction.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Nobody is saying that uniqueness automatically makes something good. Geez, why do people always make leaps like that in these discussions? People are saying that it looks good, and on top of that is unique. Plus the brown is at least related to the name of the team.

Leaps? What LEAP? You can look up and down this entire forum and you'll see people saying that because it stands out, it's instantly good. The reason I used Libya's flag is because it was a perfect example (in my eyes).

Also, notice that I didn't say the flag looked TERRIBLE or really anything negative, even though I personally think it's (sleepz). At the bottom, I said IF you're into this, it's ok. And as you can see, there are some who are into the old 60's/70's era uniforms and some who aren't. Sure, maybe the design is good, but I think Brown and Yellow (or gold) only looks good on a cheeseburger or a hot dog... nothing else. But if you're into that, that's fine. Just know that not everyone has the same thoughts, as you can clearly see from this thread alone.

P.S., I think brown only works with orange.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

These look sweet to me.

This looks good, and more importantly, it looks like the Padres. THAT is what is important in sports. Can you tell what team a guy supports when you are behind him and you see a grey jersey with navy numbers and a navy cap? HELL NO you cant. Can you tell what team he supports if the jersey was sand with a brown number outlines in yellow and a brown cap? I bet you'd know from 200 yards.

The Padres are brown and yellow. The current uniform set looks like a class AAA team in San Diego called the Clippers or the Waves, or the Tide.

Uniqueness doesn't make a design GOOD, but uniqueness in color palate is highly important in allowing fans to stand out. Good design plus distinctive colors is the holy grail, and I think looking more like 1969 Padres would be a step in the right direction.

One big issue I'd have with that (even using the only good looking of the brown uniforms that are embodied in the 69 unis you show here) is that the fans and team would no longer mess with or match their surroundings. PETCO Park, and indeed anything tied to the park in San Diego, are now sand and sea. Suddenly dumping a bunch of people wearing brown and yellow into those surroundings would just clash and frankly look strange. Would it be distinctive, maybe. But it would be distinctive because it looks so strange. One of the best things about PETCO Park is how it was designed with a team palate in mind and that the team and stadium match. Several other teams have done the same in recent years and it just looks classy rather than say the old days at Qualcomm where the team was a plethora of colors over the years and Qualcomm was a hodgepodge of those colors from over the years and other colors...

These look sweet to me.

One big issue I'd have with that (even using the only good looking of the brown uniforms that are embodied in the 69 unis you show here) is that the fans and team would no longer mess with or match their surroundings. PETCO Park, and indeed anything tied to the park in San Diego, are now sand and sea. Suddenly dumping a bunch of people wearing brown and yellow into those surroundings would just clash and frankly look strange. Would it be distinctive, maybe. But it would be distinctive because it looks so strange. One of the best things about PETCO Park is how it was designed with a team palate in mind and that the team and stadium match. Several other teams have done the same in recent years and it just looks classy rather than say the old days at Qualcomm where the team was a plethora of colors over the years and Qualcomm was a hodgepodge of those colors from over the years and other colors...

The White Sox seem to do just fine in a stadium that's primarily blue and green.

As a lifelong Padres fan I would love for them to switch back to the brown full-time, but I have read some accounts that the new ownership, if they are inclined to make a change, would probably consider something akin to the 1948-1949 PCL uniforms:

867_1034_popup.jpg

http://thesacrificebunt.com/2688/boycott-the-blue/

Brown is out. If the Padres do return to an old look, it would likely be a take on the 1948-1949 PCL Padreslook popularized by the throwback uniforms they wore in 2005-2007. He did reveal, however, that they were more keen of the “red, white, and blue” color scheme if they were to tweak anything at all.

This is a quote from someone who attended a Padres town hall meeting - Tom Garfinkle was asked about switching to brown, and the above was a summation of Garfinkle's response.

The waves, man.

But I'll grant you that MIGHT be a bit gimmicky. The Blue and Sand are probably enough though...

Navy and sand matches San Diego. Brown matches Padres. What's the difference? It's a choice of which to represent more. Many teams use the Navy, which is really what dominates their current set. I like it, but the brown and yellow is a case of unique actually being an improvement and looking good. And just about everybody in this thread (not saying the whole boards) has preferred the original set over the 80's crap.

Actually it's a fallacy that only brown matches a padre... Franciscan friars (the order most associated with California due to the missions) are actually known as the "grey friars", though they do also wear dark brown, black and white (in warmer locals). Dominican friars (the order who ran the Baja California missions) generally wear black over white. Augustinians wear generally wear grey. Carmelites wear white over brown. And those are just the 4 main orders of friars.

So in reality, brown is not the color of friars, it's just one of many. So if anything the current spread of uniforms are perfect in matching a large swath of San Diego and her history. The white home unis match one of the many robes the Franciscans wear, plus the accents like the navy blue home unis with sand accents match the ocean, sand, cliffs, and Navy so intimately tied to SD. The grey away's are tied to the Franciscan friars so intimately tied to the history of the city and the team's name. The Marines Sunday uniform is a direct homage to the Marine Corp and the military the Padres support better than any other franchise in sports.

Brown by comparison would tie into the Padres name, but honoring the Carmelites who had nothing to do with California or the city of San Diego more than it would the "grey friars". Not sure what yellow would honor... the dead grass on the hills in summer? Orange could honor the glow of a sunset I guess, but it could just as easily honor the eerie glow in the sky every time SD has had a massive wildfire...

Your statements are so wrong. Please see exibit A. San Diego's City Flag...

800px-Flag_of_San_Diego%2C_California.svg.png

Shouldn't the Padres be dedicated to promoting themselves, their history, and their namesake instead of the city of San Diego as a whole? They already have a tribute to the military with their Sunday alternates, the beaches with the sand secondary colors (RIP, away jersey), & waterfront ballpark made with sandstone meant to emulate the cliffs at Torrey Pines. If the front office is as serious about creating a brand for themselves as they've made it out to be, they need to be able to stand apart from the other 11 teams that share navy blue.

People my age associate the Padres with the color brown. Nobody is asking for them to bring back the all-mustard set or the "taco" jerseys stitch-by-stitch, but it would be nice to once again have a color to call our own incorporated into a new design.

THAT should be their colors. Their current colors like like so many other teams. There is nothing better than being unique. Too bad the Bucs won't go back to their roots too (though they do have one set as their 3rd/alternate uni now). Same applies to the Rams, Bengals, and Brewers.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

The waves, man.

Burgundy and Yellow... ok so the yellow could represent half of San Diego's flag. Something everyone thinks of when they think San Diego. *sarcasm off*

Glad to hear the team is being smart and avoiding brown like the plague it is and if anything would go to the more traditional PCL colors IF they change from the current colors. The current FO gets it and has good taste. Sometimes it's ok to look a little like someone else if it's a good look. If you want unique go root for Oregon.

As a lifelong Padres fan I would love for them to switch back to the brown full-time, but I have read some accounts that the new ownership, if they are inclined to make a change, would probably consider something akin to the 1948-1949 PCL uniforms:

867_1034_popup.jpg

http://thesacrificebunt.com/2688/boycott-the-blue/

Brown is out. If the Padres do return to an old look, it would likely be a take on the 1948-1949 PCL Padreslook popularized by the throwback uniforms they wore in 2005-2007. He did reveal, however, that they were more keen of the “red, white, and blue” color scheme if they were to tweak anything at all.

This is a quote from someone who attended a Padres town hall meeting - Tom Garfinkle was asked about switching to brown, and the above was a summation of Garfinkle's response.

Very nice uniform and it shows the genesis for the current Padres script everyone is so derisive of too. The "wave" logo.

I'm not saying the current script is all that... but in no way is that script better. It's a terrible mess, in fact.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived