Too Old to Wear a Jersey?

hjwii

to expand on the it's-a-matter-of-aesthetics-tip, I would say it's the difference between showing up at a Rolling Stones concert dressed in a Rolling Stones t-shirt versus showing up dressed as Mick Jagger. One looks ok, one is an outlandish look that can only be pulled off by a select few.

If the argument is that "anything goes, you can wear anything" then why don't people show up at ballgames also wearing ballgames wearing baseball pants and cleats? There's a boundary right? So if we accept there's a boundary then we can also accept that many adults looks ridiculous wearing jerseys in public. Take a look at Kevin Smith rocking a hockey sweater on the cover of last week's L.A. Weekly. Flattering, right?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Plus, there's nothing cheap looking when rocking a $400 jersey with a pair of J's and a nice New Era cap. Sports is a part of fashion now."

Granted, that may be true. But that's a niche. Fact, it's hard for a 40-year old to pull off wearing an embroidered Heat jersey, skinny jeans, a flat-brimmed Supreme hat and some ill kicks. Not impossible, but rare. What's more common? A big, fat middle-aged dude wearing a mesh NFL replica that only accentuates the beer gut. It's aesthetics, most adults look better in adult clothes. Jerseys are specifically designed to be worn by athletes. Far easier for out-of-shape middle-aged people to wear normal adult clothes that do a much better job of concealing a middle-aged body than sports jerseys. Not saying it's not impossible, but it's a select few.

What are ill kicks?

I used to rock jerseys all the time in middle school and early high school... now I'm in college and I've basically phased them out to just on game days and when I'm going to a game.

That being said, I don't think there is absolutely anything wrong with an adult wearing a jersey, especially to the team's game. Although I much prefer when heavier set people wear jerseys of heavier set people. Ex) A hefty Ravens fan looks better in a Ngata jersey than a Anquan Boldin one. And vice versa for twigs like myself.

90758391980.gif

"Too old to wear a jersey?" - That question may have been a concerning topic over 20-30 years ago. Not anymore. We Americans are a consumer driven and youth driven society. We like branding. We associate ourselves with that brand. We like a party any chance we get. We like to dress up any chance we get. We like to feel young and free any chance we get.

Are we too old to wear a jersey? No, not anymore because we are Americans.

Good grief....I really wish society would stop with the whole "You gotta follow THESE values...They're the only correct ones" horsess**t.

And seriously....Don't we have more pressing issues to concern ourselves with in this world than if it is acceptable for an adult to wear a freaking jersey? Really?!?!? How about we worry more about how the :censored: people will get to work on a daily basis because of gas prices and less about what some guy you don't know is wearing. Christ....Can't people live their own lives and make their OWN decisions anymore without worrying about what a screwed up society thinks?

Sorry....just had to vent a tad.

I'm nearly 27 years old, I wear my Nicklas Backstrom Caps jersey on game days, and not on game days. Same with my Xavi Barcelona jersey, and others. Frankly I dont care what people think of me or what looks "stylish".

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Figures a Natinals fan wants to avoid people making any sort of judgments.

:P

Judgements are one thing....but chastising someone for what they are wearing is another. And that is exactly what is being called into question here.

And whom I root for is irrelevant to this conversation.

Of course it is. The " :P " means I'm not serious, just taking the mickey.

I was joking about the amazing number of uniform typos and flubs that seem to come out of Washington.

But seriously, I dont think anyone here is really chastising others for what they wear, except for the Limbaugh-rodeo clown wannabe. And nobody here is defending him.

We like branding. We associate ourselves with that brand. We like a party any chance we get. We like to dress up any chance we get. We like to feel young and free any chance we get.

Why does Ark Music Factory write your posts?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Of course it is. The " :P " means I'm not serious, just taking the mickey.

I was joking about the amazing number of uniform typos and flubs that seem to come out of Washington.

But seriously, I dont think anyone here is really chastising others for what they wear, except for the Limbaugh-rodeo clown wannabe. And nobody here is defending him.

My apologies...I missed the emoticon. And for the record...Not just uniform flubs for the Nats...that not includes errors IN Nats Park.

No one here is chastising as, in my opinion, we are much the same (when it comes to that sort of thing). I was speak in generalizations when utilizing that word. If anyone thus far has been critical, it has been the zilch who wrote the column and the noobie here who thinks jerseys are indicative of the "low class". Which, incidentally, is one of the most ignorant comments I have seen on here in a long time.

So if we accept there's a boundary then we can also accept that many adults looks ridiculous wearing jerseys in public. Take a look at Kevin Smith rocking a hockey sweater on the cover of last week's L.A. Weekly. Flattering, right?

Bad example. Kevin Smith looks ridiculous no matter what he wears. Come on, he's basically Comic Book Guy IRL (and proud of it).

"Don't crack wise with me, Tubby!"

"Tubby?! Oh yes, Tubby."

1zgyd8w.jpg

In the 15 years of my life,

I've had many Redskins jerseys (and one kiddie Nationals), all of them being for a specific player.

Only one of them is on the team anymore. And I bought Orakpo in September (Portis, Campbell, Arrington, Coles).

Now that being said, if the Redskins choose a Julio Jones or Jake Locker in this draft, I'll buy the jersey. Count me in. If it's Tyron Smith... probably not.

I have pondered the idea of getting a jersey with my name on it (DeFrank) with the number 14 on it. I think it would look really cool and be more personal and longer lasting than a player.

But that's just me.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

I'm nearly 27 years old, I wear my Nicklas Backstrom Caps jersey on game days, and not on game days. Same with my Xavi Barcelona jersey, and others. Frankly I dont care what people think of me or what looks "stylish".

Oh I get the Caps deal. You guys just fill up the metro on game days when I'm trying to get home from school! I remember once seeing a train at Chinatown that was JUST red jerseys. And they were all adults.

potd 10/20/12

I've had many Redskins jerseys (and one kiddie Nationals), all of them being for a specific player.

Only one of them is on the team anymore. And I bought Orakpo in September (Portis, Campbell, Arrington, Coles).

Now that being said, if the Redskins choose a Julio Jones or Jake Locker in this draft, I'll buy the jersey. Count me in. If it's Tyron Smith... probably not.

I have pondered the idea of getting a jersey with my name on it (DeFrank) with the number 14 on it. I think it would look really cool and be more personal and longer lasting than a player.

But that's just me.

Funny, I had those other 4 Redskins jerseys as well. I'm not ever buying another Redskins jersey till Dan Snyder kicks the bucket, but thats just me.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

But that's just me.

Funny, I had those other 4 Redskins jerseys as well. I'm not ever buying another Redskins jersey till Dan Snyder kicks the bucket, but thats just me.

You realize he's signed a deal with the Devil so he'll just come back as a talking head like in Futurama, right? LOL! He has dragged down the Skins so badly. The only good thing he's done is get them a new stadium. But he's still better than Art "Judas" Modell! Sorry my Browns Fever is acting up! Hahahahahaha!!!!!!! I wear a number 12 jersey with no name on the back or number 45 with my name on it. Of course it's my number but any Browns fans that see it know it's also the number worn by Ernie Davis when he joined. So it's a good conversation starter too

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

But that's just me.

You realize he's signed a deal with the Devil so he'll just come back as a talking head like in Futurama, right? LOL! He has dragged down the Skins so badly. The only good thing he's done is get them a new stadium. But he's still better than Art "Judas" Modell! Sorry my Browns Fever is acting up! Hahahahahaha!!!!!!! I wear a number 12 jersey with no name on the back or number 45 with my name on it. Of course it's my number but any Browns fans that see it know it's also the number worn by Ernie Davis when he joined. So it's a good conversation starter too

Well actually the previous owner built FedEx Field. Which sucks. Crappy stadium. I love my Redskins, and I hate Synder, but he isn't calling the shots anymore

potd 10/20/12

Archived