Rugby World Cup Jerseys

Davidson

Well it is rare but it has happened. The last World Cup France played New Zealand in the quarter finals and at that time, France had those dark blue, almost black jerseys by Nike. The All Blacks were forced to play in their alternates which were grey. The AB's ended up losing and a few people accused France of deliberately picking the dark blue jerseys so the AB's would have to play in the alternates if France ever got to play NZ. Kind of silly but rugby is a religion in NZ.

And I know there can be agreements between countries on jersey colours to be worn on games. New Zealand and Scotland have an agreement that when they play each other, the home country plays in the alternate jersey.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I know there can be agreements between countries on jersey colours to be worn on games. New Zealand and Scotland have an agreement that when they play each other, the home country plays in the alternate jersey.

really? that's a surprise...

I saw, I came, I left.

really? that's a surprise...

In Rugby the tradition always was that the home team changes, if anyone needs to. In club rugby its become blurred somewhat and depends on the competition, but generally speaking in internationals, it's still the home team that will change.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well it is rare but it has happened. The last World Cup France played New Zealand in the quarter finals and at that time, France had those dark blue, almost black jerseys by Nike. The All Blacks were forced to play in their alternates which were grey. The AB's ended up losing and a few people accused France of deliberately picking the dark blue jerseys so the AB's would have to play in the alternates if France ever got to play NZ. Kind of silly but rugby is a religion in NZ.

That's ridiculous. They should have come up with a better alternate strip.

Come on, nobody is watching the game in B/W anymore. As for rugby you need less contrast than in football, basketball or hockey as the offside rules are quite strict. Thus, the players are not mixed through the whole field. In lower German leagues (where I play) thew referees allow even such colours combinations.

183100_10150399929430022_546465021_17244224_410348_n.jpg

??! Ive played in a game where both sides had yellow jerseys and it was a nightmare. in broken play it was a disaster. We had to stop after 10 minutes and the other team turned their jerseys inside out.

Below is a photo from the NZ Scotland game in 2007. the jerseys themselves looked quite different, but were almost indistinct in broken play.

_44133591_kitgall.jpg

Come on, nobody is watching the game in B/W anymore. As for rugby you need less contrast than in football, basketball or hockey as the offside rules are quite strict. Thus, the players are not mixed through the whole field. In lower German leagues (where I play) thew referees allow even such colours combinations.

183100_10150399929430022_546465021_17244224_410348_n.jpg

??! Ive played in a game where both sides had yellow jerseys and it was a nightmare. in broken play it was a disaster. We had to stop after 10 minutes and the other team turned their jerseys inside out.

Below is a photo from the NZ Scotland game in 2007. the jerseys themselves looked quite different, but were almost indistinct in broken play.

_44133591_kitgall.jpg

I remember that game! It was an absolute nightmare watching on TV! Both teams looked identical from the match camera!

In general it takes quite a lot for Rugby teams, especially at international level, to change kits. It's not like soccer were teams change almost whenever they can. In rugby if you had a team in White against a team in black and White hoops (you never see vertical stripes in Rugby!) noone would bat an eyelid- something similar in soccer and teams would insist on changing kits.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

and all because new zealand can't admit that they are always terrible come world cup time

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

and all because new zealand can't admit that they are always terrible come world cup time

Oh so very true lol...Just wait and see how that country will crumble when they lose in the quarter finals again lol.

And while it's not the Rugby World Cup, here are the American's jerseys for the upcoming Churchill Cup:

http://image-load-balancer.worldsportshops.com/Images/watermarked_thumbnail.aspx?img=985259.NV&photoNum=1&t=I&catalog=Rugby&w=600&h=600

While it doesn't have the 2011 RWC logo on it, this could be the one Argentina will use:

http://image-load-balancer.worldsportshops.com/Images/watermarked_thumbnail.aspx?img=34494&photoNum=1&t=I&catalog=Rugby&w=600&h=600

And while it's not the Rugby World Cup, here are the American's jerseys for the upcoming Churchill Cup:

http://image-load-balancer.worldsportshops.com/Images/watermarked_thumbnail.aspx?img=985259.NV&photoNum=1&t=I&catalog=Rugby&w=600&h=600

While it doesn't have the 2011 RWC logo on it, this could be the one Argentina will use:

http://image-load-balancer.worldsportshops.com/Images/watermarked_thumbnail.aspx?img=34494&photoNum=1&t=I&catalog=Rugby&w=600&h=600

WOW. Does anyone know where i could get one of those USA jerseys? THEY LOOK AMAZING!!!!!

I'm going to Hawaii in a month, do they sell rugby jerseys in sports shops over there.

Oh, and the adidas stripes RUIN that argentina jersey

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

For those that are wondering the lack of the adidas stripes on the sleeves is to do with how much branding the IRB and RWC allow on shirts during the world cup (that's also why there isn't any shirt sponsors being on jerseys).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I agree that having ads on national team uniforms looks ugly (like in basketball and volleyball tournaments). The rugby shirts look also cleaner without the three stripes. However, it looks always funny during Olympic football tournaments when the three stripes are removed because for most of adidas football templates the stripes are important part of the design.

I agree that having ads on national team uniforms looks ugly (like in basketball and volleyball tournaments). The rugby shirts look also cleaner without the three stripes. However, it looks always funny during Olympic football tournaments when the three stripes are removed because for most of adidas football templates the stripes are important part of the design.

my problem with it is it's not done to protect the integrity of the national shirt, but to protect the tournament sponsors. Not great for Mastercard say, if they've paid to whack to be a tournament partner and have visa sponsor a team, for instance.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I didn't even notice that the stripes were gone...I don't have a better image but could it be they are just white and only go to the top of the shoulder?

I'm pretty sure not. It's the same shirt as in the link above, but without the black adidas stripes up the sleeves.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived