Colorwerx descriptions- Rams- trying to understand which gold is which

ram29jackson

Well the main thing you gotta remember is that these are spot/print colors, not textile colors, these are mostly concerning logos and anything printed out. Plus, when it says flat as compared to metallic its talking about the ink not the material.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Well the main thing you gotta remember is that these are spot/print colors, not textile colors, these are mostly concerning logos and anything printed out. Plus, when it says flat as compared to metallic its talking about the ink not the material.

Correct. "Flat" designations refer to alternate colors to use when metallic inks aren't available. And for the record, representing metallic colors in RGB result in colors that look much darker than they look like printed due to the fact that there's no real way to represent the reflective properties of the metallic ink on a computer screen.

Here are the Rams' official Textile colors (with Pantone's own proprietary color descriptions) from 1997 through the present. 1997 was the first season that the NFL began providing these values.

SaintLouisRams_FRC_1999_TEX_SRGB.png

SaintLouisRams_FRC_2001_TEX_SRGB.png

SaintLouisRams_FRC_2006_TEX_SRGB.png

SaintLouisRams_FRC_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

The current "NFL Dark Navy" is a custom Reebok fabric color.

thanks for all the color commentary but would anyone care to answer the question I asked?...youre saying these are just logo colors you sapped that may or may not have anything to do with the uni ?

the dark shades come out lighter when printed or transferred ?

now you put uniform colors up in your post Colorwerx ?

how come you dont have the bottom 2 on your uniform page? Or what part do I click on to find those because your site is a little hard to navigate- its hard to remember what you mean by project or experiment and where I clicked the last time I went?

I also noticed on you WFL teams page the color box/window for the California sun wont open.

in other words- I like your stuff/work but its a little messy.

to be honest, the main reason I use the colors is to make stuff for EA NCAA 11 teambuilder and the like.

I also go to google images and search colors from artpaints.com haha

thanks for all the color commentary but would anyone care to answer the question I asked?...youre saying these are just logo colors you sapped that may or may not have anything to do with the uni ?

the dark shades come out lighter when printed or transferred ?

now you put uniform colors up in your post Colorwerx ?

how come you dont have the bottom 2 on your uniform page? Or what part do I click on to find those because your site is a little hard to navigate- its hard to remember what you mean by project or experiment and where I clicked the last time I went?

I also noticed on you WFL teams page the color box/window for the California sun wont open.

to be honest, the main reason I use the colors is to make stuff for EA NCAA 11 teambuilder and the like.

What you're dealing with and asking is the difference between print and screen. What is shown on a computer screen can't always be produced in print or textile and vise versa. For example, there are greens that you can produce on your computer, but it can't be represented printing wise. So what he's showing is representations of colors used by teams, that may be off. For example, the Mighty Ducks jade, he has, but it's not the color I saw on jerseys due to the fact that lighting in the arena, plus cameras showing on tv, distort color. Just take his information for what it is, information.

Colorwerx, since your here. Wondering if you knew something... On the warriors new colors and uni's... Why is the uniform a darker royal blue and the print logo is a really light blue.. I can't remember any teams being so different...

Like on this card you can see the logo color (which is the way it's everywhere) and how the uni's are..

nbahoopscardsteam01.png

I know colors will be different, but it's not even close.. Even at the arena it's like that.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

OK...addressing all of the various issues in here:

Teams and leagues pick a set of standard colors to represent their brand. These colors are almost always represented by solid (or spot) colors used for printing. Once these colors have been finalized, they are then translated or matched to other various mediums for usage. Most of the major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) list their colors in various forms:

• Solid/spot colors (Pantone)
  • Process simulation colors (CMYK)
  • Grayscale (B&W printing)
  • Video colors (RGB)
  • Hex/HTML values (web usage)
  • Textile colors (Pantone, DyStar)
  • Thread colors (Robison-Anton, Madeira, Marathon, FuFu, Coates)
  • Twill colors (Liebe, Stahl's)

One would use the CMYK values in order to reproduce the color palette using four-color printing, the Video and/or the Hex/HTML values for internet usage, the Textile information would be used for matching the colors to fabrics, the thread colors (for embroidery purposes) are provided for any number of manufacturers, and twill colors are provided for numbers and lettering.

None of these various mediums are going to match the solid/spot colors exactly. The idea is to get them as close as possible to the base color for some sort of consistency.

In regards to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim' Jade, the Pantone spot color was PANTONE 329 C, and was matched to a corresponding Pantone Textile color:

PLS_329_C_SRGB.png <---> PTX_18-5128_TC_SRGB.png

For the record, 329 C is also what the Seattle Mariners use for their "Northwest Green". However, a different Pantone Textile color is used:

PTX_18-4936_TCX_SRGB.png

However for the Golden State Warriors, the NBA and Adidas/Reebok have a system where the original solid/spot colors are "homogenized" into a smaller set of colors for uniform manufacturing.

GoldenStateWarriors_FRCdet_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

These original colors are matched to what the NBA calls "Production Colors":

GoldenStateWarriors_FRCdet_9999_PRD_SRGB.png

...and then, these Production Colors are matched to Pantone Textile colors.

GoldenStateWarriors_FRCdet_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

I'm only guessing here, but my thought is that these Pantone Textile colors are more or less a standard by which manufacturers like Adidas/Reebok, Nike, et al, use to match to their own proprietary set of fabric colors.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the color discrepancies are due to the fact that older versions of Illustrator - and especially older Pantone swatch libraries - display Pantone colors much differently than they would had they been printed using actual Pantone inks. Newer swatch libraries are much more accurate.

I only display the solid/spot colors on my ColorWerx site. In fact, only the MLB, NFL and NBA/WNBA/D-League even provide Pantone Textile information. I have been able to find some of the older Textile info for the NHL, but not for any of the current Reebok/EDGE uniforms.

Oh - and yes I'm aware as to how much my site sucks. I really want to completely redesign it, but haven't had any time to do so.

What you're dealing with and asking is the difference between print and screen. What is shown on a computer screen can't always be produced in print or textile and vise versa. For example, there are greens that you can produce on your computer, but it can't be represented printing wise. So what he's showing is representations of colors used by teams, that may be off. For example, the Mighty Ducks jade, he has, but it's not the color I saw on jerseys due to the fact that lighting in the arena, plus cameras showing on tv, distort color. Just take his information for what it is, information.

yeah, the Chicago Navy and green Bay green practically look black until you put them on something

Archived