2011 NBA Playoffs

Rockstar Matt

Am I seeing this right. Upsets in the NBA's first round??

Definately seems like opposite day in the NBA for the first round.

I'm not going to read too much into it though. You can't win or lose a series in one game. Come Wendsday or Thursday though if its still going on, then there is definately something to it, but for now I'm not regarding it as anything more then a fluke.

The NBA may be the only sport where it doesen't bother me too greatly if my predictions are wrong, because I know if they are, David Stern is having a nervous breakdown. The NBA may be the only league that openly roots for certain teams to win to that degree. I love basketball, but god damn do I hate the way the NBA promotes the sport.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed. Some of the writing was good over the years, but that long parade of creepy, propaganda-esque "FreeDarko influenced everything and was the greatest website in history" diatribes is ridiculous.

I don't really consider myself particularly well-versed in basketball. I mean, I get the basics, but I would hardly consider it my strong suit like I might baseball or hockey, so I'm always looking to learn more and better understand the game. Pseudo-grad student flights of fancy like "Does Rajon Rondo Embody The Jewish Experience In America?" have little or no value to me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's crazy. If anything, these games have shown that for the first time in a LONG time, the lower seeded teams are showing no fear as they go into the higher seeded teams' arenas. Hell, it almost used to be a guarantee that the home team was gonna take Game 1, and then you have this weekend happen.

This is an amazing way for the playoffs to start: 8 games, only 2 of them double-digit margins of victory, and one of them was an upset. One of the best 48 hours of 1st round ball I've seen. Too bad this round will drag on for about a month, though. <_<

Denver goes down to Oklahoma City, in a game which the Nuggets easily could've come away gaining home-court advantage. Instead, they allow OKC back into the game and eventually lose. Won't say I didn't see it comeing though.

And other thing... THAT WAS GOALTENDING!!!

6uXNWAo.png

So, the Hawks won Game 1 against Orlando. I don't know why everyone had Orlando taking this in an easy one.

I've read a few playoff previews that said a Hawks upset isn't that far fetched.

Could be. The Hawks played them well all year and might have their number. Still I think it was more Orlando playing bad then Atlanta playing well. Good defense can often be confused for poor shooting. Atlanta played very well, but the Magic just weren't hitting shoots. Jason Richardson isn't going to go 2 for 8 from the field every night.

If the Hawks can take game two, then I'd say they have a real chance at pulling the upset, but for now I'm still going with Orlando in six.

This may have been the best opening weekend of NBA playoff basketball I've seen in my 15+ years of being a fan. Every team was more or less in every game, for the entire game. Three upsets. Last-minute big shots. Crucial plays and lead changes down to the end. I hope things stay this exciting.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

NBA: Where the Playoffs last longer than the Season

NBA: Where the refs decide playoff games. Seriously though you've got to be kidding me with the end of that game. Just another example of why the NBA is such a B.S. sport. At any point the refs can decide and completely change the game.

It's crazy. If anything, these games have shown that for the first time in a LONG time, the lower seeded teams are showing no fear as they go into the higher seeded teams' arenas. Hell, it almost used to be a guarantee that the home team was gonna take Game 1, and then you have this weekend happen.

This is an amazing way for the playoffs to start: 8 games, only 2 of them double-digit margins of victory, and one of them was an upset. One of the best 48 hours of 1st round ball I've seen. Too bad this round will drag on for about a month, though. <_<

Only gs-mavs in 2007 was only 8 over 1 in the 21st century, we need more of that!

You can't have parity in a league where your best players account for such a disproportionate amount of playing time and production. If you don't like that, don't follow basketball.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

NBA: Where 2 teams win 82% of the titles since 1998 and 4 teams win 89% since 1990 happens!

That I actually don't mind, I mean to be honest I wouldn't watch much of the finals if it was like Thunder-Magic or something like that. It's not intriguing to me. I'd rather watch Bulls/Celtics/Heat Vs. Spurs/Lakers any day of the week.

NBA: Where 2 teams win 82% of the titles since 1998 and 4 teams win 89% since 1990 happens!

I really don't see how that matters. Would you rather that a random team won every year, and that there were no dynasties? How would that be more entertaining?

NBA: Where the refs decide playoff games. Seriously though you've got to be kidding me with the end of that game. Just another example of why the NBA is such a B.S. sport. At any point the refs can decide and completely change the game.

That's the case with every sport. People have to make decisions in those crucial times. Also, the NBA isnt a sport.

Coming from a Yankees fan, I find this hilarious

Face it guys, the Knicks suck. There's no reason to get riled up. Theyre on the rise, but dont clutter the thread with this crap

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I really don't see how that matters. Would you rather that a random team won every year, and that there were no dynasties? How would that be more entertaining?

That's the other extreme. People like to see a balanced mix of dynasties to surprise champions. When there's been no truly-surprising championship teams since the 1970's, it does somewhat call into question the integrity of the league.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

That's the other extreme. People like to see a balanced mix of dynasties to surprise champions. When there's been no truly-surprising championship teams since the 1970's, it does somewhat call into question the integrity of the league.

I just like to see good basketball being played. I don't need upsets for that. An upset here or there (along the way to the Finals) is fine, but it's not something I need to see to be entertained. Anyone who needs to see the league meet a certain quota of upsets to find it entertaining, can't be such a great fan of the sport to begin with.

Also, if the best teams are constantly winning, I would be less likely to expect a lack of integrity, than if there were upsets occurring too often. Dynasties are somewhat natural occurrences. If a team becomes accustomed to winning, it is going to be harder and harder to beat (until their players get too old). On the other hand, if I'm seeing a revolving door of teams becoming amazing for a season and then fading away next season for the next random team, then I would actually think the league is doing something artificially to try to drum up unpredictability. I'm glad they don't do that in the NBA.

Archived