2011-12 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

jhans203

I'm curious to see which teams introduce a 3rd uniform. I know the NBA rule is that a team has to wait 3 years after introducing a new uniform set, but there's obviously a massive gray area cause the Cavaliers had a 3rd jersey in 2010-2011 with the introduction of their new uni's. Can anyone clarify this "gray" area?

How many times did the Cavs wear them? I don't think they were an official alternate. At least not one they could wear multiple times, as far as I know.

I think they only wore the new black CavFanatic jersey once, but I'm still curious has to this gray area that allows to team to wear a completely different uni without it being considered a 3rd alternate. I wish the NFL had this too.

Other than throwbacks and special occasion jerseys (Hornets Mardi Gras, all the holiday jerseys), this is the only instance that I know of, so I don't know what gray area you're referring to. No one else has had an alternate before the third season of a new look.

And the Spanish jerseys, which are a league thing.

That's what I mean. Is a throwback or fan-jersey such as the CavFanatic not considered a 3rd uni? I'm just asking for clarification per NBA uni rules. I know the NFL only allowed an exception to their policy during the AFL Anniversary and allowed the selected teams to have 4 uni's that season, but that's the only time the NFL allows that.

With the NBA probably not. The NFL only has 16 games, so alternates are gonna be restricted more. The NBA has 82 games so they can do these special jerseys more. Although the throwbacks are getting a little ridiculous in how often they're worn.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I mean. Is a throwback or fan-jersey such as the CavFanatic not considered a 3rd uni? I'm just asking for clarification per NBA uni rules. I know the NFL only allowed an exception to their policy during the AFL Anniversary and allowed the selected teams to have 4 uni's that season, but that's the only time the NFL allows that.

The CavFanatic can't be considered a "third uni", seeing as last years' Cavs wore their home, away, blue alt third uni, CavFanatic uni, *and* at least one throwback.

The CavFanatic can't be considered a "third uni", seeing as last years' Cavs wore their home, away, blue alt third uni, CavFanatic uni, *and* at least one throwback.

Yea, that's way too many. The NBA is a little out of control right now. Can't stand the shoes either...for example: one player will have white, another in green, and another in yellow.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

The first logo looks really familiar. I can't remember from where. The second logo looks kind of pointless. Eastern AND Western Conferences? What's the point of that logo?

The first one is similar to the Lebron silhouette logo.

You can see it on the tongue of these...

Nike%20Zoom%20LeBron%20Soldier%203%20III%20Supreme%20Akron%20White%20Midnight%20Navy-Metallic%20Gold%20384535-141.jpg

^

Yes, I believe that is LeBron's version of the "Jumpan" logo.

In other unsubstantiated news, a Wizards' season ticket holder and frequent contributor on RealGM's message board had this to say about the new Wizards unis:

I spoke to my ticket agent today and while she told me that she has not seen the new uniforms, she did say that she spoke to someone who did. According to this person, the predominant color of the jersey will be red (no surprise there). She also said that while the current wizards symbol (wizard with a star) will be on the uniform, it will be very small and will not be noticeable. I asked whether the name Wizards will be de-emphasized, and she said yes. However, she did not say what would be on the jersey itself. No real surprises here but I thought I would pass along this info.

Now, I'm taking this with a *huge* grain of salt. But if true, this would confirm that (a.) the Wizards will recolor their existing logo to avoid the $500K fee, and (b.) they will pull a Utah and basically use a secondary logo as their primary instead. If that's the case, I hope they follow the Pistons' model by eventually changing the official primary logo a few years later to one that better fits the rebrand.

^

In other unsubstantiated news, a Wizards' season ticket holder and frequent contributor on RealGM's message board had this to say about the new Wizards unis:

I spoke to my ticket agent today and while she told me that she has not seen the new uniforms, she did say that she spoke to someone who did. According to this person, the predominant color of the jersey will be red (no surprise there). She also said that while the current wizards symbol (wizard with a star) will be on the uniform, it will be very small and will not be noticeable. I asked whether the name Wizards will be de-emphasized, and she said yes. However, she did not say what would be on the jersey itself. No real surprises here but I thought I would pass along this info.

Now, I'm taking this with a *huge* grain of salt. But if true, this would confirm that (a.) the Wizards will recolor their existing logo to avoid the $500K fee, and (b.) they will pull a Utah and basically use a secondary logo as their primary instead. If that's the case, I hope they follow the Pistons' model by eventually changing the official primary logo a few years later to one that better fits the rebrand.

Very interesting (if accurate). I wonder what they mean by "de-emphasizing" Wizards. That really confuses me. I wonder if we'll be seeing "DC" or "Washington" wordmarks on one or both jerseys.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I was looking around the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office database and found these logos, submitted by the NBA earlier this year.

ImageAgentProxygetImage85172539.jpg

ImageAgentProxygetImage85241707.jpg

Interesting. Maybe the NBA wants to standardize the conferences like the NFL, which would explain why there is a logo with Western on an East template. It also looks like they re-aligned the ball. Still confused why it would have both conferences though. Maybe an all-star game or finals logo?

07Giants.pngnyy.png

The first logo looks really familiar. I can't remember from where. The second logo looks kind of pointless. Eastern AND Western Conferences? What's the point of that logo?

The first one is similar to the Lebron silhouette logo.

You can see it on the tongue of these...

Nike%20Zoom%20LeBron%20Soldier%203%20III%20Supreme%20Akron%20White%20Midnight%20Navy-Metallic%20Gold%20384535-141.jpg

I agree, that is the same logo (or one VERY close). The thing I find fascinating is that the logo was submitted to the USPTO by NBA Properties, not by Nike or LeBron James's own representatives.

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

The hell? All you young people and your LeBron James crap.

The logo that TxRangersFan posted is clearly Michael Jordan. I watched a hell of a lot of Bulls basketball in the day and that is him going for a dunk all the way down to the tongue sticking out (well ok, maybe not the tongue).

imageagentproxygetimage.jpg
The logo that TxRangersFan posted is clearly Michael Jordan. I watched a hell of a lot of Bulls basketball in the day and that is him going for a dunk all the way down to the tongue sticking out (well ok, maybe not the tongue).

unledry.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

To me, it is quite clearly taken from this picture of LeBron:

news_dunkman1-sac.jpg

^

Very interesting (if accurate). I wonder what they mean by "de-emphasizing" Wizards. That really confuses me. I wonder if we'll be seeing "DC" or "Washington" wordmarks on one or both jerseys.

Hopefully that only means we see "Washington" on the road, and "Wizards" at home. I wouldn't mind seeing a new logo that's symmetrical (I think it can work with Washington's alliteration and all)

news_dunkman1-sac.jpg

lol. truepg wins.

news_dunkman1-sac.jpg

lol. truepg wins.

by KO. Lmao

news_dunkman1-sac.jpg

Was that picture taken in Arco Arena? If it was, there's a good chance that's from Lebron's first ever NBA game. Which would make sense as to why it was chosen for a logo of his.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

news_dunkman1-sac.jpg

Was that picture taken in Arco Arena? If it was, there's a good chance that's from Lebron's first ever NBA game. Which would make sense as to why it was chosen for a logo of his.

Turns out it was.

http://nikelebron.net/2007/06/07/lebrons_nba_debut_10_29_2003_vs_sacramento/

Archived