2011-12 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

jhans203

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure you're joking, but either way, Memphis Kings would be great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yes, obviously joking. Anything would be better than the Grizzlies. Beside the fact Grizzlies has no tie to Memphis like it did to Vancouver, it has no ring to it at all. Memphis Blues would be good (albeit not necessarily original). Memphis Suns would be perfect if not for Phoenix claiming the rights. Or the Memphis Steamers. Of course, if the Kings name became available, for marketing purposes alone, the team might want to take a look at it. The downside is the Fed Ex Forum would be full of middle aged men in jumpsuits with bad hairdos.

Yes, obviously joking. Anything would be better than the Grizzlies. Beside the fact Grizzlies has no tie to Memphis like it did to Vancouver, it has no ring to it at all. Memphis Blues would be good (albeit not necessarily original). Memphis Suns would be perfect if not for Phoenix claiming the rights. Or the Memphis Steamers. Of course, if the Kings name became available, for marketing purposes alone, the team might want to take a look at it. The downside is the Fed Ex Forum would be full of middle aged men in jumpsuits with bad hairdos.

"Steamers" would be a better name if the Cavaliers ever decide to change identity.

Memphis bulldogs has a nice ring to it.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

"Steamers" would be a better name if the Cavaliers ever decide to change identity.

No one probably cares, but Cleveland Steamers has been the name of my fantasy football team for years. Classy, yet trashy.

"Memphis Showboats", taken from USFL, would be a great NBA team name.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I disagree with pretty much all of that. I've totally gotten used to Memphis Grizzlies, and I think it sounds fine. It doesn't make total sense, but it works in a Utah Jazz/LA Lakers way to me. It also ties them to their crazy days and identity in Vancouver, which I wouldn't want to see forgotten. Combine that with their current exciting success and there's no way I would want them to abandon their current identity.

Memphis Suns? No thanks. Memphis Kings sounds decent in and of itself, but I wouldn't want an NBA team to be themed around a dead musician who wasn't linked to basketball at all. It fits the city but that's about it. It's too weird to center the identity of an NBA team around one non-basketball-related person. And Blues and Steamers aren't a good names for an NBA team IMO.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

imageagentproxygetimage.jpg
The logo that TxRangersFan posted is clearly Michael Jordan. I watched a hell of a lot of Bulls basketball in the day and that is him going for a dunk all the way down to the tongue sticking out (well ok, maybe not the tongue).

To me, it is quite clearly taken from this picture of LeBron:

pic

Was that picture taken in Arco Arena? If it was, there's a good chance that's from Lebron's first ever NBA game. Which would make sense as to why it was chosen for a logo of his.

Turns out it was.

http://nikelebron.net/2007/06/07/lebrons_nba_debut_10_29_2003_vs_sacramento/

I believe it's also the first dunk of his NBA career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wn9rp9l1aQ

They need to get rid of the Spanish jerseys.

I don't care much for the NBA anymore anyways, but they need to stop the Spanish language jerseys. Just more stupid revenue making attempts. They look terrible.

2ly2w09.jpg

I don't care much for the NBA anymore anyways, but they need to stop the Spanish language jerseys. Just more stupid revenue making attempts. They look terrible.

I like them cause their unique to the NBA and not the NFL. But if they're gonna do something like this, it needs to be every team. Same applies to the St Patrick Day hat in MLB.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I like them cause their unique to the NBA and not the NFL. But if they're gonna do something like this, it needs to be every team. Same applies to the St Patrick Day hat in MLB.

I'm not a fan of any of this new revenue stuff. I'm not a tradionalist by any means, but coming out with a special jersey for all these occasions is just stupid to me.

We don't need St. Patricks day jerseys or Spanish jerseys. I would be very happy without either, but the St. Pats are just a recoloration. The Spanish jerseys are just stupid to change the team name on a jersey.

2ly2w09.jpg

I'm not a fan of any of this new revenue stuff. I'm not a tradionalist by any means, but coming out with a special jersey for all these occasions is just stupid to me.

We don't need St. Patricks day jerseys or Spanish jerseys. I would be very happy without either, but the St. Pats are just a recoloration. The Spanish jerseys are just stupid to change the team name on a jersey.

They're not changing the team name...just the language. Some hate it, others like myself love it. But I see your argument.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

They're not changing the team name...just the language. Some hate it, others like myself love it. But I see your argument.

I won't get into the politics of it, that pisses me off and will just take things off topic. That is the main reason I hate it.

But in addition to the different language, I realize it isn't technically changing the name. But it's changing the name on the jersey. Neuva York and Los Bulls? That doesn't belong on the jerseys, that completely changes them. If the NBA has a chubby for doing all this heritage, and by all of this I mean just Latin heritage, do something subtle or out of the way. Not changing a whole jersey, that's when it just gets to be for making a dollar off the fans.

2ly2w09.jpg

I guess we would have consult some Spanish native speakers but for me Los Bulls just sounds ridicolous. You either make it El Toros or try something different. And Los Angeles is a more Spanish word than Los Lakers. Actually when I saw those Los Lakers shirts I thougt that Los Angeles might be a nice idea for an alternate rather than 3 jerseys with Lakers printed.

The bottom line is that NBA season lasts 82 games so I don't mind some experiments during the regular season as long as they are not so ridicolous. I prefer this than the way association football teams milk their fans by releasing 3 sets of kits every year.

Not sure if posted -

A new alternate logo for the Knicks was just filed with the patent office last week.

imageagentproxy.jpg

Looks like a throwback to this?

6034.gif

Hadn't seen that. Not sure it's necessary with the token and the primary covering any need this one would. That is, I can't see this replacing the recolored primary like so many other new alts do, in practice if not in name. And the token covers anywhere you need a circle.

I guess we would have consult some Spanish native speakers but for me Los Bulls just sounds ridicolous. You either make it El Toros or try something different. And Los Angeles is a more Spanish word than Los Lakers. Actually when I saw those Los Lakers shirts I thougt that Los Angeles might be a nice idea for an alternate rather than 3 jerseys with Lakers printed.

The bottom line is that NBA season lasts 82 games so I don't mind some experiments during the regular season as long as they are not so ridicolous. I prefer this than the way association football teams milk their fans by releasing 3 sets of kits every year.

I don't like the jerseys, but they do the language correctly (except Nueva York). Since "Bulls" is the name, it doesn't change. It's like a person's name. (there is a better way to explain all this, so if someone can please do.) If you were listening to a Spanish telecast of the game, the announcers would still be saying "Bulls" and not Toros. Just like they wouldn't say a player's name in it's Spanish form.

But still, I'd have no problem seeing them go.

Archived