2011-12 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

jhans203

I guess we would have consult some Spanish native speakers but for me Los Bulls just sounds ridicolous. You either make it El Toros or try something different. And Los Angeles is a more Spanish word than Los Lakers. Actually when I saw those Los Lakers shirts I thougt that Los Angeles might be a nice idea for an alternate rather than 3 jerseys with Lakers printed.

The bottom line is that NBA season lasts 82 games so I don't mind some experiments during the regular season as long as they are not so ridicolous. I prefer this than the way association football teams milk their fans by releasing 3 sets of kits every year.

I don't like the jerseys, but they do the language correctly (except Nueva York). Since "Bulls" is the name, it doesn't change. It's like a person's name. (there is a better way to explain all this, so if someone can please do.) If you were listening to a Spanish telecast of the game, the announcers would still be saying "Bulls" and not Toros. Just like they wouldn't say a player's name in it's Spanish form.

But still, I'd have no problem seeing them go.

You are correct, but the jerseys are still pandering nonsense. The normal Bulls jersey doesn't say "The Bulls", so Los Bulls doesn't make sense. And while the team would be referred to by its real name in Spanish, I still like the idea of the Cerveceros and Gigantes jerseys. At least some thought went into them unlike Los Bulls and Los Mets.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just reminds me of people who say "el close-o the el-door-o." Why is that the way you want to reach out to Hispanic consumers?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I guess we would have consult some Spanish native speakers but for me Los Bulls just sounds ridicolous. You either make it El Toros or try something different. And Los Angeles is a more Spanish word than Los Lakers. Actually when I saw those Los Lakers shirts I thougt that Los Angeles might be a nice idea for an alternate rather than 3 jerseys with Lakers printed.

The bottom line is that NBA season lasts 82 games so I don't mind some experiments during the regular season as long as they are not so ridicolous. I prefer this than the way association football teams milk their fans by releasing 3 sets of kits every year.

I don't like the jerseys, but they do the language correctly (except Nueva York). Since "Bulls" is the name, it doesn't change. It's like a person's name. (there is a better way to explain all this, so if someone can please do.) If you were listening to a Spanish telecast of the game, the announcers would still be saying "Bulls" and not Toros. Just like they wouldn't say a player's name in it's Spanish form.

You are correct, but the jerseys are still pandering nonsense. The normal Bulls jersey doesn't say "The Bulls", so Los Bulls doesn't make sense. And while the team would be referred to by its real name in Spanish, I still like the idea of the Cerveceros and Gigantes jerseys. At least some thought went into them unlike Los Bulls and Los Mets.

If you watch Mexican NFL broadcasts, they go all out. The commentators, the graphics. Los Vaqueros de Dallas is their favorite team.

But I'm glad their uniforms or end zones don't say that.

PAST-FUTURE-EMAIL-HEADER-STREAM.JPG

Just got this as a header in an email from the Wizards...speculate away!

Umm, wasn't the Wiz's new logo already leaked?

Even though the primary logo was leaked, they still have a secondary logo to unveil that will most likely be used more than the primary.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

This is my big problem - the English jerseys don't feature the definite article, so why would the Spanish jerseys? Moreover, are there any sports teams in the world that put "The _____" on the front of their jersey, in whatever language they use?

Another issue, in my opinion, is that the NBA isn't a league with a lot of Spanish heritage. Manu Ginobili, the Gasol brothers, Sergio Rodriguez, and Rudy Fernandez are the only remotely significant Spanish-speaking players I can think of. If this were MLB, where a significant percentage of the league is from Spanish-speaking countries, I could see the rationale, but this just feels like pandering. The only use of the jerseys I thought was appropriate was when "Los Suns" appeared in the playoffs last year, after the passage of Arizona's immigration bill, because (politics aside) they actually had a reason to reach out to the Spanish-speaking community.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

yes...but this is the first glimpse of the jersey

looks like a navy away uni and a hint at the use of the 'DC 3 stars' somewhere on both unis. Maybe that typeface used in the new wordmarks?

looks like a navy away uni and a hint at the use of the 'DC 3 stars' somewhere on both unis. Maybe that typeface used in the new wordmarks?

I like the idea of these in navy blue (with Wizards on the front unfortunately however <_< ) Maybe with the 3 stars where the basketball is.

reb-7996a-326asrwun.jpg

90758391980.gif

maybe a wizards-bullets combination?

spacer.png

spacer.png

maybe a wizards-bullets combination?

Pistols and Wizards are like peanut butter and tires. ^_^

Looks like modified version of Agency?

Huh. I think it looks like a red away uni w/ navy numbers, not the other way around. Ted Leonsis is on record as being a big fan of red, so I'd really be shocked if the road unis end up primarily navy instead.

Found this on a Redskins board, from a poster who found it on a Pacers board:

"I work for a company that has the NBA license. We've received logosheets for next year for the Wizards. I can confirm that the red, white, and blue logo is correct. Their secondary logo is a "dc" with the tail of the "d" looking like a hand, just like the old bullets logo, complete with a basketball over the "d." Their uniform wordmarks will be in the same style font as the old Bullets logo. Logo and uniform should be unveiled on 5/10. "

123xa2.png

Here's a larger, higher-res version of that header graphic, currently being used in an intro splash page to the Wizards' official website:

countdown-to-event_top.jpg

What I thought might have been soccer-style panels look more like wood panels from a backdrop instead. Huh. Not sure what to make of it now. :therock:

Also, note the use of a single navy stripe + a navy 3 star motif on the bottom. Perhaps a clue into a type of trim?

"I work for a company that has the NBA license. We've received logosheets for next year for the Wizards. I can confirm that the red, white, and blue logo is correct. Their secondary logo is a "dc" with the tail of the "d" looking like a hand, just like the old bullets logo, complete with a basketball over the "d." Their uniform wordmarks will be in the same style font as the old Bullets logo. Logo and uniform should be unveiled on 5/10. "

I hope that's not the case. I'm not a fan of the font used in any of the Bullets' wordmarks; the Webber/Strickland-era Bullets wordmark was especially bland.

I'd rather the design/layout of the uni pay homage (but not slavishly copy) the aforementioned Unseld-era design, only with a new, modern wordmark.

Oh boy this sounds like a mess. They should just pay the logo change fee and get a new logo (with some bullets logo elements in it). Then this new secondary logo along with uniforms will make more sense + you have yourself a team identity.

Archived