My Inkscape Practice Concepts

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl

as you may know. I just moved from Paint to Inkscape. and ill start making my concepts on inkscape. but before I try and make my NBA on NHL concepts in Inkscape or any concepts in the magnitude like that. I thought I would make some practice concepts. and post them here to see how you guys think im doing in this crazy steroid version of paint as I think it is

my first practice concept is a Camo Washington Nationals jersey. nothing fancy here. just simple and to hone my skills in Inkscape

jqgutv.png

C&C and remember. these are practice concepts. nothing fancy will be in this theard

wrb141.jpgnbahoopscardszxzx01.png

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl.png

Im Abby.. nice to meet you

Go Os. Capitals. Mets. Ravens. Rangers. Knicks. Butler Bulldogs. Maryland. Kevin Harvick.

I hate the YANKEESS

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this will help....

I watched those. but I went a little blind. didnt watch all the videos. but yeah. Im getting practice in here with these practice concepts.

just watched the basic videos on how to use the tools. and learned while doing it.

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl.png

Go Os. Capitals. Mets. Ravens. Rangers. Knicks. Butler Bulldogs. Maryland. Kevin Harvick.

I hate the YANKEESS

as you may know. I just moved from Paint to Inkscape. and ill start making my concepts on inkscape. but before I try and make my NBA on NHL concepts in Inkscape or any concepts in the magnitude like that. I thought I would make some practice concepts. and post them here to see how you guys think im doing in this crazy steroid version of paint as I think it is

my first practice concept is a Camo Washington Nationals jersey. nothing fancy here. just simple and to hone my skills in Inkscape

jqgutv.png

C&C and remember. these are practice concepts. nothing fancy will be in this theard

Are you using multiple layers in Inkscape? I'm trying to figure out why there is the white areas around the lines.

gYH2mW9.png

jqgutv.png

Are you using multiple layers in Inkscape? I'm trying to figure out why there is the white areas around the lines.

ehh I pasted the W logo on the jersey and the NOB and Number in and re colored to make them work with the camo scheme. and while working I hit wrong buttons or things and moved parts of the jersey out of place (still figuring out Inkscape) so some of them might be from putting them back in place. and what lines?

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl.png

I hate the YANKEESS

You don't use the fill tool. You select, then choose the color.

ehh. im not really sure what I did. I used the tool that looked like a paint bucket.. im still learning the ropes of inkscape.

any thoughts on the concept guys?

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl.png

I hate the YANKEESS

ehh. im not really sure what I did. I used the tool that looked like a paint bucket.. im still learning the ropes of inkscape.

Like raysox said, don't use the "fill" or "paint bucket" tool. Click on an object, in this instance the jersey, and then just select a color. That should "fill" the object with the color you want without the noise near your lines.

I'm not sure what it's meant to be. Is it going to be a camo concept?

gYH2mW9.png

To color an object, you select it with the arrow tool, then either click on a color at the bottom of the screen or open the Fill and Stroke window under Object and enter your own RGB combo.

And on the concept, it's not a great idea. The Padres already have camo unis, and they don't look that good, so I wouldn't want any other team trying it.

To color an object, you select it with the arrow tool, then either click on a color at the bottom of the screen or open the Fill and Stroke window under Object and enter your own RGB combo.

And on the concept, it's not a great idea. The Padres already have camo unis, and they don't look that good, so I wouldn't want any other team trying it.

oh. I didnt know you could just click and add the color. I thought you had to use the paint bucket tool (I just went in a learned by myself. but maybe I should watch more of the videos) thanks for letting me know

and yeah. I think the camo jersey should be Washington"s (being the country and military"s capital) but I also wasent trying to make it look pretty. just some practice. and im posting it here to get some critque. I thought it didnt look the best. but I was not trying to make it look the best. but it is not horrible or sloppy. just kinda gawdy. im still learning the ropes in Inkscape. and Im starting to get this steroid"ed up version of Paint. it"s a process.

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl.png

I hate the YANKEESS

I was not trying to make it look the best

Why not, you should put 100 percent effort into your work to make it look the best it can be, regardless of your skill level.

even if it"s a practice concept?

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl.png

I hate the YANKEESS

It seems like you are post padding.

Why would you want a critique on something that you claim is not of any quality, and is just for practice? I don't get it.

ehh I tried to make it quality. it"s to crtique more how im learning the ropes at Inkscape. making these practice concepts is practicing my skills in steroid paint. I admitt there the most likely not very good. but I still wanted critiqe. and to see my progress at my jump from paint to inkscape

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl.png

I hate the YANKEESS

Why would you want a critique on something that you claim is not of any quality, and is just for practice? I don't get it.

Yeah, she didn't get to 300 posts (EDIT: 301) in 9 days by coincidence.

25yzwqg.png

Why not, you should put 100 percent effort into your work to make it look the best it can be, regardless of your skill level.

You know how you get practice? By posting concepts, taking the time to make it look like you put SOME sort of effort into it (making sure its neat and tidy, the colours match, striping is consistant). There's an old saying "Practice how you play" and if you practice by making sloppy, not well thought out concepts then you're never going to improve. Lets face it, not every concept you release is going to be well recieved, and if that happens, listen to the feedback you get and try to improve.

Anyway, if you actually want to become a better designer, take the time to learn your programs and use your resources. Inkscape is a complex program, it takes awhile to learn, especially if coming stright from Paint. I used Paint and Paint.net for about a year or so for my concepts, while learning Inkscape on the side. I just switched to Inkscape full-time earlier this year. It can be extremely rewarding to slow down and learn the program. Personally, the tutorials did wonders for me, that is how I learned to use it. I then spent time playing around with how things work, testing out each function. Now, you still have to have an idea that you can work with for the concept, but that is not something one can teach. Keep at it!

You know how you get practice? By posting concepts, taking the time to make it look like you put SOME sort of effort into it (making sure its neat and tidy, the colours match, striping is consistant). There's an old saying "Practice how you play" and if you practice by making sloppy, not well thought out concepts then you're never going to improve. Lets face it, not every concept you release is going to be well recieved, and if that happens, listen to the feedback you get and try to improve.

well I see what you mean.. Im practicing my skills so that when I make concepts for like my series. they look good. I put effort into the practice concept I posted. but I admit the way I went with it was proboly a bad choice. but lesson learned. don"t do camo jerseys. I got alot of creative ideas in my head. it"s just executing them that"s the problem. but I hope the jump to Inkscape will help.

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl.png

I hate the YANKEESS

Anyway, if you actually want to become a better designer, take the time to learn your programs and use your resources. Inkscape is a complex program, it takes awhile to learn, especially if coming stright from Paint. I used Paint and Paint.net for about a year or so for my concepts, while learning Inkscape on the side. I just switched to Inkscape full-time earlier this year. It can be extremely rewarding to slow down and learn the program. Personally, the tutorials did wonders for me, that is how I learned to use it. I then spent time playing around with how things work, testing out each function. Now, you still have to have an idea that you can work with for the concept, but that is not something one can teach. Keep at it!

I see what you mean. im still learning all the complex tools of Inkscape. there all very fasinating and fun. im watching some of the videos. im starting to get it. but of course practice makes prefect. I will try and my creative ideas work. and make them function. I will keep at it. and get better.

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl.png

I hate the YANKEESS

so that when I make concepts for like my series. they look good. I put effort into the practice concept I posted. but I admit the way I went with it was proboly a bad choice. but lesson learned. don"t do camo jerseys. I got alot of creative ideas in my head. it"s just executing them that"s the problem. but I hope the jump to Inkscape will help.

It's not about camo jerseys, hell if you made a camo jersey and managed to pull it off than all the power to you. Be creative and let those juices flow. I personally stick with paint and have done a little dabbling with inkscape. No it's not the easiest thing to learn, but if you just take that little bit of extra time on your concepts you will generally get positive feedback.

Archived