• Created
  • Last Reply

Bautista usually wears #19. Every team wore #42 and NNOB

42.jpg

JRDODGERS.JPG

651859605_c5537225ec.jpg

robinson0415%5B1%5Drobinson0415%5B1%5D.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Jackie Robinson Day dude.

Every team is doing it.

And it's the dumbest promotion ever!

The day itself? No. Having everyone wear the same unifomr number? Yes. I remember some teams would do it for the ceremonies then go back to wearing their regular numbers once the game started. That is fine, but having them all wear the number all game is rather silly

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Every team is doing it.

The day itself? No. Having everyone wear the same unifomr number? Yes. I remember some teams would do it for the ceremonies then go back to wearing their regular numbers once the game started. That is fine, but having them all wear the number all game is rather silly

I think they definitely did it right the first time around, when only a handful of players wore the 42 league-wide, but yeah, now it's a bit overkill.

I had the opposite approach, because having some players wear it and others not gets us into a "what, do you hate Jackie Robinson?" situation.

All or nothing. I'd rather that the number was just taken out of circulation permanently, but a one-day event where both leagues in their entirety pay tribute is okay by me.

At least this isn't some awful marketing gimmick like the "don't YOU love America?" S&S caps or soldier dress-up camp alts.

I think pretty much everyone that had 42 on when they crossed it off across th board are all out of the game now. I think a simple ceremony before the game and hte number 42 somewhere on the field is just as good

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

At least this isn't some awful marketing gimmick like the "don't YOU love America?" S&S caps or soldier dress-up camp alts.

I disagree. Either both are worthy of special jerseys/caps or neither are. I happen to like each instance.

It's not about what's more "worthy". The JR thing seems more "genuine" because it's not clearly just to sell more jerseys and caps, which despite what many on here think, the S&S and camo jerseys are. Wearing the 42 at least gets kids asking "daddy, why are they wearing 42?" to which daddy can reply "because of Jackie Robinson, who..." and that's how the lesson gets taught. The S&S accomplishes nothing other than "daddy, I only have 4 different Mets caps, but I now I want the one that David Wright is wearing today! Buy it for me!!!!" Either that or "daddy, why are they wearing S&S caps?" "well, son, it's because America is the best durn country out there and all the other countries aren't as good! Yee haw!"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I disagree. Either both are worthy of special jerseys/caps or neither are. I happen to like each instance.

It's not about what's more "worthy". The JR thing seems more "genuine" because it's not clearly just to sell more jerseys and caps, which despite what many on here think, the S&S and camo jerseys are. Wearing the 42 at least gets kids asking "daddy, why are they wearing 42?" to which daddy can reply "because of Jackie Robinson, who..." and that's how the lesson gets taught. The S&S accomplishes nothing other than "daddy, I only have 4 different Mets caps, but I now I want the one that David Wright is wearing today! Buy it for me!!!!" Either that or "daddy, why are they wearing S&S caps?" "well, son, it's because America is the best durn country out there and all the other countries aren't as good! Yee haw!"

The S&S and camos are STRICTLY for merchandising profits. Yes they do sell them but they have a certain purpose and reasoning for them being worn.

The S&S and camos are STRICTLY for merchandising profits. Yes they do sell them but they have a certain purpose and reasoning for them being worn.

We disagree.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Either that or "daddy, why are they wearing S&S caps?" "well, son, it's because America is the best durn country out there and all the other countries aren't as good! Yee haw!"

Why would the dad have to explain the S&S hats like an ignorant boob?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Either that or "daddy, why are they wearing S&S caps?" "well, son, it's because America is the best durn country out there and all the other countries aren't as good! Yee haw!"

Because that's how anyone who thinks that these caps in some way "honor America" or "honor our troops" etc. talks.

Every team is doing it.

it's not a promotion. they aren't selling anything.

Oh, you are so wrong! It is a promotion.

42.jpg

Besides, if a number is retired, then no one should be wearing the number period!

Because that's how anyone who thinks that these caps in some way "honor America" or "honor our troops" etc. talks.

42 jerseys honor JR. S&S caps honor America. Camo jerseys honor the military. There's no picking and choosing that one does while the others don't. Either all do or all don't. If you don't like only some of them then it's strictly aesthetically. I personally see nothing wrong with players wearing caps honoring our country of which baseball is the national pastime. Or the Padres honoring the military in of the biggest base areas. Don't act like you know all the true intentions and that everyone else is lying or is wrong.

Wait - toasters? Seriously? They sell team toasters? That's just sad.

Archived