BFBS, Good or Bad

dmhtfld

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring all of you discussion about it into this thread because im tired of seeing it in almost every thread about college football.

No one cares. :P

Obviously, seeing as the mods have done nothing about it. It just gets flat out annoying seeing the same topic being talked about in multiple threads.

BFBS ALTS are fine with me. they sell, and sports are a business. Most non-uniform obsessed people love them. They also make the players feel special. If it becomes an every day uniform then it could look bad. It doesnt bother me too much

BFBS ALTS are fine with me. they sell, and sports are a business. Most non-uniform obsessed people love them. They also make the players feel special. If it becomes an every day uniform then it could look bad. It doesnt bother me too much

You can sell a BFBS jersey without the team having to wear one. That's what fashion jerseys are. And they don't make players feel special, it just makes them feel like they're cool and hip and a part of the latest fad. You go to a school, expect to wear the school colors. They shouldn't have to add a uniform just to adhere to the fashion tastes of a few players who are only gonna be there for no more than 4 years, usually less.

I like that the thread on Jackie Robinson Day has been right next to the one on Black For Black's Sake. Potential topic merge?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like that the thread on Jackie Robinson Day has been right next to the one on Black For Black's Sake. Potential topic merge?

No cuz that one has basically turned into a "what team's sheets have you banged on" thread.

Would probably be more appropriate in a Tiger Woods thread.

No cuz that one has basically turned into a "what team's sheets have you banged on" thread.

Would probably be more appropriate in a Tiger Woods thread.

University of Arizona.

black is widely used because it complements nearly every color scheme and by adding black to a uniform it changes the entire mood/message. you take a red/yellow scheme which is bright, youthful, fun and with black it becomes more intimidating. would Darth Vader be as bad ass if he were wearing any other color? Batman? peoples perception of black (in the west) is that it is a color of rebellion, angst, authority, power, elegance, masculinity, mystery, and elite status. it works well for sports teams. its an easy and effective way do something different to move merch or call attention to a special occasion, like a primetime game which is often when the Ravens break out the black unis.

the bad guys wear black. black credit cards are for a select few. black tie dinners are for the classy and rich. many martial arts highest achievement is the black belt. every color has meaning and symbolizes something. those who say "its just a color" or "it dosnt matter" do not know the first thing about color theory or branding/marketing. color plays as much a part of our lives as anything. it affects our moods, our eating habits, our perception of everything it touches.

black also affects visual weight. a black object appears to weigh more than a white one. this plays a part in athletes as well, making them look slimmer but also heavier and more powerful.

It makes sense for Batman to wear black. He's the "dark knight." Darth Vader's the "Lord of the Sith," a high ranking officer in an evil empire as well as a "dark" religious order. Within their fictional universes it makes sense for these characters to wear black.

How this in any way justifies the New York Knicks or the Duke Blue Devils shoehorning black into their colour schemes is beyond me. The elite status argument's also bs. The Raiders, the originators of the "black=awesome" trend, suck. Look at the NCAA. How many second and third tier programs wear black alternates? Black isn't elite. It's just trendy.

This part was really good though.

peoples perception of black (in the west) is that it is a color of rebellion, angst, authority, power, elegance, masculinity, mystery, and elite status.

So black's the colour of authority, and also the colour of rebellion, eh?

Through enough buzz words around, and eventually you'll get caught in a contradiction.

peoples perception of black (in the west) is that it is a color of rebellion, angst, authority, power, elegance, masculinity, mystery, and elite status.

Through enough buzz words around, and eventually you'll get caught in a contradiction.

Well played, Cap.

Through Throw enough buzz words around, and eventually you'll get caught in a contradiction.

Well played, Cap.

If only my crippling inability to spell hadn't ruined the moment :D

You can sell a BFBS jersey without the team having to wear one. That's what fashion jerseys are. And they don't make players feel special, it just makes them feel like they're cool and hip and a part of the latest fad. You go to a school, expect to wear the school colors. They shouldn't have to add a uniform just to adhere to the fashion tastes of a few players who are only gonna be there for no more than 4 years, usually less.

Good point, they DO sell without wearing them. But I'd argue that it does pump the team up and make them more excited for the game. I know it works on my team when we wear alts. The SHOULDN'T have to add a uniform to adhere to the fashion tastes of players BUT who cares if they do? Its a sport, its fun. The jerseys are for the players (and maybe most of the fans), not the people on these boards who complain about BFBS. I completely understand where people are coming from, and thats great that they have their opinion but I don't see the big deal about BFBS. But hey I'm just one guy

edit: how did you feel about the Beast Mode Pro Combats? Big game, new uniforms. It worked out well, in my opinion. but that's Anthracite for Anthracite's sake not BFBS

Good point, they DO sell without wearing them. But I'd argue that it does pump the team up and make them more excited for the game. I know it works on my team when we wear alts.

If you need Super Special Awesome jerseys to get the team fired up for a big game your coaching staff is overpaid and should be fired. Especially at the college level.

The SHOULDN'T have to add a uniform to adhere to the fashion tastes of players BUT who cares if they do? Its a sport, its fun. The jerseys are for the players (and maybe most of the fans), not the people on these boards who complain about BFBS.

College athletic programs justify both their existence and the drain on tuition dollars and activity fees by being advertisements for the school. This isn't just a sport or fun, this is supposed to be an attempt to promote your institution. Donning a uniform that isn't your school's colors defeats the purpose of the advertisement and therefore is wasted time and money.

edit: how did you feel about the Beast Mode Pro Combats? Big game, new uniforms. It worked out well, in my opinion. but that's Anthracite for Anthracite's sake not BFBS

Spreading your legs for Nike as wide as Oregon has also defeats the "let's advertise for the school" point.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Saying BFBS is good or bad is a generalization. It has become a bit a of a crutch as of the late but there have definitely been some good designs to come from it. Anybody want to come up with some positive things to say about it or list some good designs that came out of the trend?

The Calgary Flames have benefited from the addition of black, in my opinion. The old red, gold, and white uniforms are ok, but they seem a tad washed out. The addition of black to the colour scheme really made the whole look pop. They would have one of the best modern looks in the NHL had they carried over their 2003-07 look into the EDGE era.

I would say it is for the Cardinals. While black has been part of their colour scheme since their St. Louis days, it was only ever used as an accenting colour. The Cardinals have always been a cardinal red team above all else. The black jersey is BFBS because it has no historical precedent.

It's bad enough that the oldest team in the NFL is wearing over-panelled and over-piped clown suits. That they're also shilling pointless black alternates is just insulting.

Archived