BFBS, Good or Bad

dmhtfld

By your definition, every team should have a black jersey.

No, I said that it's ok if a team/college at least tries it out on a uniform. I see no harm in doing so. Uniforms and fashion have come very close to evolving into one and the same and there really is no turning back. My traditional side doesn't care for it all that much, but my artistic side likes it. Black uni's don't bother me one bit...its when a team turns their football uni's into something that belongs in Arena Football (i.e. Vikings, Cardinals, Falcons, and etc) that really gets under my skin.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, the content/subject matter in this discussion/flamewar and those in the ASU/WSU threads is really pressing more and more upon my brain the idea that sports teams in this country would do well to break from the norm and pursue the route that international football/futbol has been taking for years: one primary uniform, one change ("clash") set, get a special-occasion alternate set if need be...and just leave everything else the hell alone.

Y'all think that might work out alright around these parts?

I completely agree. Color-on-color matchups - which would happen more often with this system - blow white-vs.-gray, color-vs.-white, black-vs.-white, etc. out of the water. There needs to be more color in sports, IMO.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Raiders use silver and black as a form of fear and intimidation. they wouldnt have the same brand archetype at all if they were wearing the Buccs old orange and white

Teams haven't been afraid of or intimidated by the Raiders in almost a decade. Conversely, teams like the Patriots, Colts, and Packers manage to look every bit as intimidating as the Raiders ever did in their decidedly non-black uniforms.

This was my point with ASU. Black was officially added to its identity, so now it's appropriate to emphasize it in the uniforms.

That would still fall under BFBS. Adding it to a color pallett just so you can have a black alternate is no different than just randomly adding a black jersey. The team would just be then trying to justify it's existence while denying the true reason why they did it: which was to look cool and selling them.

I'm starting to think we're over-thinking the significance of black jerseys

Very true. What about the Sacramento Kings? When they switched from light blue to purple, was that PFPS? Or the New Orleans Hornets added yellow, was that YFYS? I find it quite interesting that people get upset over black and not over other added colors (i.e Sacramento's purple, New Orleans' yellow, and etc)...some sort of subconscious racism?...I dunno.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

This was my point with ASU. Black was officially added to its identity, so now it's appropriate to emphasize it in the uniforms.

That would still fall under BFBS. Adding it to a color pallett just so you can have a black alternate is no different than just randomly adding a black jersey. The team would just be then trying to justify it's existence while denying the true reason why they did it: which was to look cool and selling them.

Right. Just like when the Mets, Knicks and Royals added black to their schemes to muddle them up, it was BFBS. Only recently have teams half-assed it so much as to make black uniforms without even shoehorning black into their other uniforms. ASU has used dark red and athletic yellow for many, many years without throwing black into the scheme. Black doesn't go with their shade of red, and the new jersesy look like crap because of it, but I digress. Adding black to a long established scheme is BFBS.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Very true. What about the Sacramento Kings? When they switched from light blue to purple, was that PFPS? Or the New Orleans Hornets added yellow, was that YFYS? I find it quite interesting that people get upset over black and not over other added colors (i.e Sacramento's purple, New Orleans' yellow, and etc)...some sort of subconscious racism?...I dunno.

Difficult to resist insults because of the last thought you posted, but I'll try.

Switching from one color set to another is very different from keeping the same, but adding another to help sell uniforms.

Adding yellow made sense for the Hornets because it reflected the new city in which they found themselves. It was not done to sell more uniforms.

If the Mavs had made green alts just to sell green alts (but had no other history of the color), that would be GFGS, but that isn't what happened.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on the internet. Wow.

The Kings changed their color scheme to something unrelated to the previous one. It happens at times. They didn't throw purple into their previous color scheme. They didn't make a purple jersey with royal blue and red numbers. BTW, imagine a purple jersey with royal blue and red accents. That would be every bit as hideous and ridiculous as a black jersey with blue and red on it. In case you haven't noticed, there has been a large movement among pro and college teams over the last 15 years to add black to their color schemes because it's "kewl." If droves of teams started adding purple, yellow or even teal (which became overused then) to their existing colors and templates, people would rally against them, too.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

If the Mavs had made green alts just to sell green alts (but had no other history of the color), that would be GFGS, but that isn't what happened.

Ah, but the Mavs did go BFBS (Blue) though. But since it wasn't the "evil" black that everyone hates on here I guess that one is ok too. lol

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on the internet. Wow.

The Kings changed their color scheme to something unrelated to the previous one. It happens at times. They didn't throw purple into their previous color scheme. They didn't make a purple jersey with royal blue and red numbers. BTW, imagine a purple jersey with royal blue and red accents. That would be every bit as hideous and ridiculous as a black jersey with blue and red on it. In case you haven't noticed, there has been a large movement among pro and college teams over the last 15 years to add black to their color schemes because it's "kewl." If droves of teams started adding purple, yellow or even teal (which became overused then) to their existing colors and templates, people would rally against them, too.

I'm still flabbergasted that he tried to play the race card in a uniform discussion.

some sort of subconscious racism?...I dunno.

Really?

Where's the crying about PFPS or YFYS and etc? It's always when a team uses black that people react in a negative manner. I didn't say it IS racism, I said, "I dunno".

Come on, John. You're better than that.

Fifteen years ago we might well have been talking about PFPS. But right now black is the color of choice for "lifestyle clothing" companies to add to a team or school's color scheme. That's why B and not P or Y in BFBS.

You let me know when yellow becomes a marketing-driven hot color added to traditional color schemes.

FWIW, plenty of teams have taken heat here for going to te trendy "two shades of blue.". But perhaps you missed that, in the absence of a lazy shorthand.

True. But unlike the football team wearing it when no other team does, it was added across the board. That's more my point than anything. If the teams are going to add it, make it universal like ASU did rather than one team like other schools have done.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

True. But unlike the football team wearing it when no other team does, it was added across the board. That's more my point than anything. If the teams are going to add it, make it universal like ASU did rather than one team like other schools have done.

Same difference. Their colors have always been maroon and gold, or whatever dark red and gold. How much black do you see in any of the new uniforms BESIDES the black jerseys? I didn't see any other than outlining numbers on the dark football jersey, others might have noticed it elsewhere. But it's not even being used as an accent color. It was only added to their color guide so they could try and avoid being called a trend follower.

Ah, but the Mavs did go BFBS (Blue) though. But since it wasn't the "evil" black that everyone hates on here I guess that one is ok too. lol

The new trend is Red, White and Blue. Don't think it hasn't gone unnoticed. In fact the overuse of blue in the NBA is driving me crazy.

Mavericks have always used blue.

Archived